Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Full Frame / Pentax Population Migration Census
I will never switch and wait desperately and infinitely for a Pentax FF 4352.44%
I am thinking about switching 3137.80%
I joined the dark forces and switched 56.10%
I switched but I'll keep my Pentax gear, definitely, because I still have hope 910.98%
Additional: I switched to Calcium (Ca) 33.66%
Additional: I switched to Nickel (Ni) 78.54%
Additional: I switched to Stannum (Sn) (_o_y) 11.22%
Additional: I switched to Oxygen (O) (Other) 33.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Poll: Full Frame / Pentax Population Migration Census

Note: This poll only concerns switching because of a lack of a Pentax FF. So if you think of switching for other reasons, please don't vote.

Proposal for Poll modifications:
- add a choice: I am currently not interested in a Pentax FF body
- add a choice: I am currently not interested in a Pentax FF body but I maybe would buy one if available

Another FF post, again?
Well yes... I adore Pentax but on the way to pro, I needed a full frame. I waited and waited and tried to predict the future, as many amongst us.
The recent interview of Pentax by PentaxForums unveiled a tiny piece of the veil.
Result? Well, don't count on a 'near future' release. Seems Pentax strategy is to hit as many people as possible.
In other words: delivering possibly innovative, different-from-the-others top quality products to normal people with low to mid-ranged budgets.

Of course there are some nice jewels among the lenses but high quality lenses are expensive in general and not having such lenses would describe
Pentax as an amateur player in the photographic market, which it is not, despite being far behind sales of Nickel and Calcium.

What about the poll?
I would like this post to be a sticky as reference and keep statistics so this can be used to show it to Pentax.
Statistics about how many people would buy a FF and more important, how many changed ship already ( how many buyers did Pentax lose).
Even if you still own a Pentax but bought a non Pentax FF, please participate also.

If you want, please give reasons for switching (or not). It could be interesting to have additional information.

Some explanations about this poll and it's propositions:
Vote 1/ I will never switch and wait desperately and infinitely for a Pentax FF if:
At this moment, you would love to buy a FF but for some reason (please post), you want to believe in Pentax and thus, you stick with the brand,
even if the Pentax FF will be released in year 2045.

Vote 2/ I am thinking about switching if:
You absolutely want a FF camera (or you would like to buy one) but you hesitate. Do I wait for Pentax or not?

Vote 3/ I joined the dark forces and switched if:
You switched and sold or are thinking of reselling your Pentax gear. Let us know why.

Vote 4/ I switched but I'll keep my Pentax gear, definitely, because I still have hope if:
You switched but you keep your Pentax stuff, hoping Pentax will be clever enough to release a FF body sooner or later.
Because you like the brand and don't want to lose money you invested in that brand or whatever reason. Please tell us.

Additional vote:
If you switched, what was your choice?
You can post why you did choose that brand (= what does it offer what Pentax does not have).

Last edited by ezechiel; 04-27-2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: add remark
04-26-2012, 03:30 AM   #2

Original Poster
I switched because I have certain needs (my clients have even more) that Pentax cannot fullfill, unfortunately.
So I bought the Ca 5D mk iii with 70-200 ii and a Sigma 50mm 1.4 (next is extender, 100mm L macro and a wide angle).

I discovered the joy of FF and waw!
I'll probably sell the K7, even if I like it very much, along with the 77mm Ltd. Even if there is noise, it gives excellent results in B&W, no need to add grain ^^
Now I'll have to work in manual to have the same result, and maybe add grain...

But the in-focus / out-of-focus transition is nicer for the eye. And also more detail: important for macro, packshots, ...

Come-on Pentax. Join the FF market and I'll probably jump back!
04-26-2012, 04:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Schizo vote ..

Bonjour,

I voted n° 1 and n° 2 ... contradictory, yes ... but true for me. Will probably never dump my film stuff, a trusty and fun K1000 plus my favorite M and Tak lenses.

Would love to see a reasonably priced FF Pentax DSLR ... just for photos, no video and other bells and whistles ... and soon! If no go here, then maybe some nickel in my diet to be ... On verra!

Allez et A+, John le Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-26-2012 at 04:41 AM.
04-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

I voted n° 1 and n° 2 ... contradictory, yes ... but true for me. Will probably never dump my film stuff, a trusty and fun K1000 plus my favorite M and Tak lenses.

Would love to see a reasonably priced FF Pentax DSLR ... just for photos, no video and other bells and whistles ... and soon! If no go here, then maybe some nickel in my diet to be ... On verra!

Allez et A+, John le Frog
Voted #1 and #2, too. I took #1 as a descriptive statement, not as a declaration of intention: I just don't think I'm ever going to switch. Still, sometimes I'm thinking of switching (not necessarily for FF though). I would definitely go FF if Pentax released one.

04-26-2012, 04:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Still, sometimes I'm thinking of switching (not necessarily for FF though).
Keep in mind that this poll only concerns switching due to a lack of a FF camera in the Pentax range of products.
If you want to switch for any other reason, then please don't vote, so the results have a sence
04-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Calcium, Nickel, Tin and Oxygen? Bah, who needs them when you've got Platinum (Pt)?
04-26-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I didn't vote.

I don't care if Pentax comes out with a FF. I seldom ever make a print, I just view on the computer. I also never moved up with Pentax's higher mp cams. I just use their bodies that run on 4 AA batts...6-12 mp. They are fine for my uses.

Even though I don't need higher mp's, I would most likely move up if Pentax came out with a FF high mp cam that ran on 4 AA's. But since the AA trend is not in favor of that, I will probably never buy Pentax's new offerings.

If Nikon came out with a D800 that ran on 4 AA batts, it would rent lots of space in my head to switch systems. But if Pentax came out with a APS-C 24mp - 32 mp dslr powered with 4 AA's, that would probably satisfy me to stay put.

04-26-2012, 05:32 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Calcium, Nickel, Tin and Oxygen? Bah, who needs them when you've got Platinum (Pt)?
:ugh: I love it! Well seen!
04-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
I didn't vote.
I didn't vote either. Would I like a FF Pentax? Well, yeah...but it depends on many things...price, features, performance, etc... I'm overdue to upgrade my DSLR and right now I'm just waiting to see how the Ricoh/Pentax merger pans out. But I'm not desperately waiting for a FF specifically. I'm also waiting on better video...non-crippled K-mount performance. In fact, those last two things trump FF for me.
04-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a K-5 and probably would switch to a FF Pentax if it had all the features of the K-5 and was no larger than the k-5......
04-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #11

Original Poster
First error in the poll..

6 people switched (4 keeping their gear) but apparently there is one person that bought something that must be quite unique ^^ (not Ca, Ni, Sn or other brand)
2 Ca + 2 Ni + 1 Sn = 6?
04-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
Forum Member

I would like a FF Pentax DSLR + FF MILC (with a working, properly integrated EVF, please) if the engineers can swing it. Definitely.
04-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #13

Hi. You forgot to include answer options for those that are not interested in FF, at least for the time being.
Cheers - Klaus
04-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Klaus Quote
Hi. You forgot to include answer options for those that are not interested in FF, at least for the time being.
Cheers - Klaus
Haha Sorry for laughing but this is what the poll is about. See first sentence in first post:
Note: This poll only concerns switching because of a lack of a Pentax FF. So if you think of switching for other reasons, please don't vote.

I can understand that people are not interested in FF. I wasn't also. But every question/answer in the poll is related to FF.

What kind of answers were you thinking about?

Last edited by ezechiel; 04-26-2012 at 06:48 AM.
04-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This poll is hopelessly flawed.

The reason is simple, while it will measure the response of people desparately thinking they need full frame, it ignores the larger population of people who dont care/want full frame.

lets be clear about things here

Full frame is mostly sought after by those who want to shoot ultra fast lenses wide open. For me, they are somewhat wrong in their thinking, because unless they are in full control of the lighting and the shooting situation, shooting at F1.2 or F1.4 requires insanely high shutter speeds, because the camera cannot go low enough in ISO.

My solution for the times I want full frame is really simple, for those rare occasions, i put a roll of film (you remember what that was don't you?) into my PZ-1 and off I go.

you should add, to the poll at least the following two points.

I dont want full frame, and I am satisfied shooting film when I need/want full frame

Edit note. Just to make my objection clear here, while you may be interested in full frame only users the concern I have is with respect to the use of the poll. At some point it will be dragged up to show how many people / percentage of people have switched and with it the implied loss of market share by pentax. It needs to be grounded with the reality that a very large number of shooters are not searching for a canikon beating full frame, and that while this does imply some potential miogration away from the brand, that is a very small percentage of pentax's current market share. If the poll proves this point wrong, then it justifies potentially the development of a full frame, so lets have the proper poll so that if you really want pentax to listen, they can see the share of those who feel it is needed and wanted. I could be wrong in my assessment but I don't think so

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 04-26-2012 at 07:15 AM.