Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I once used my bifocal's with my parfocal, does that count? <- one to many glasses tonight

04-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Well, the best way to AF is to MF, so when you can MF there is no need to AF - why AF when your AF lens can MF so much better? Does any of that make any MF'ing sense? :~
Yeah, makes sense but some people find it difficult to focus, especially older people. However, I did a photoshoot a week ago and I used my old P30 film camera with a manual focus lens and they were quite sharp. So I'm going to try manual focus for a while and see how it goes.
04-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I usually choose AF points. In fact I always use various AF points and AF-C for best results. I just don't like to focus and reframe. And since I generally shoot moving things, AF-C is the best setting for me.

And an interesting fact I realized with the K5 is it focuses faster in AF-C than it does in AF-S.
04-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The biggest "trick" to AF is choosing your target well. Failure to do so accounts for something like 95% of the posts you see in these forums about focus isses. Eg, "I focused directly on that particular blade of grass, but it focused instead on this other one", or "my dog was jumping around like crazy, I treid to take a picture, and it focused on the stationary tree behind him instead". OK, those are extreme examples, but you get the idea. Pick a large object (larger than the area represented by the focus sensor) with high internal contrast / sharp internal edges and that is relatively stationary. Often, that means choosing a person's midsection instead of their face.