Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #1

Is my K10D acting up?

Right after I snap a picture My K10 makes a noise that I don't recall noticing before. Not only do I hear a noise but you can feel something move (very very faint). The best way to describe the noise is that it almost sounds like the lense trying to focus. This noise and movement is really fast, no where near a second. As I said these are very very faint but I don't THINK it was doing this yesterday. Also, I took off the lense and snapped a picture and it did not do this. If you put it up next to your ear it sounds like its coming from inside the body not the lense. Does your camera do this? Thanks.

Last edited by Techguy; 01-14-2008 at 06:34 PM.
01-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
its the image stabilization system

turn IS off and it goes away
01-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
its the image stabilization system

turn IS off and it goes away

It is turned off!
01-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I did notice that yesterday when I went out for a quick shoot session. I just tried it now, it was still there. I was doing autobracketing (which i dont use enough)...and, I just turned it off, and it does not do it...
could be due to the successive shots?...

01-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mine does it too. I was thinking about posting this question and, voila, someone beat me to it. It would make me feel better if we knew, for sure, what it is.

Also, another noise question. When rotating the camera from horizontal to vertical shooting and back again I can distinctly feel something moving inside the body. It's kind of like a thud that you can feel more than hear.

WHAT IS IT????
01-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
Mine does it too. I was thinking about posting this question and, voila, someone beat me to it. It would make me feel better if we knew, for sure, what it is.

Also, another noise question. When rotating the camera from horizontal to vertical shooting and back again I can distinctly feel something moving inside the body. It's kind of like a thud that you can feel more than hear.

WHAT IS IT????
That for certain is the SR mechanism moving in your k10d
01-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Any more on Techguy's original question? As I mentioned I hear this noise too.

01-16-2008, 03:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If it's almost like a sliding noise just a split second after the shutter closes, I think what both of you are hearing the the shutter re-cocking for the next image (not the IS system). You can hear it best just after releasing the shutter button after holding it down for a second or two in the bulb mode to quiet the camera. After releasing the button, you will then hear two distinct sounds - the first louder, sharper, sound is the shutter closing with the mirror flopping down at the same time (with vibrating, ringing, noise from the springs) and the next softer, almost sliding sound (best description I can think of), is the shutter re-cocking. If the second sound is what you're describing, it's absolutely normal (actually, absolutely necessary).

stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 01-16-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: had to mention the mirror
01-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes Stewart, exactly as you described. Thank you!!! This is a great forum, a wealth of knowledge.
01-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Ok, then, what's the faint sound that it makes while the shutter is open?

Reproduce this as follows:

- switch to Bulb
- hold the button down
- hold your ear against the body.

It's a continuous quiet scratching/hissing, like a very quiet Geiger counter.
01-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Good grief. I had to sleep on it overnight to figure out what the first two were likely hearing, and now you throw another noise on the table. Instead of doing the same with this, lets just say the camera, since it is just as much mechanical (moving metal and plastic parts) as it is electronic, makes a wide range of noises at various point during normal operation and leave it at that. In other words, if it's working, who cares!

stewart
01-16-2008, 10:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote

- switch to Bulb
- hold the button down

I thought the user's manual was quite specific, you are supposed to look through the view finder, not stick the camera in your ear.

All bad jokes aside, I agree with stewart, if the camera works, just use it. If you want to hear something really funny, listen to the clockwork mechanism on a mechanically timed shutter at a 1 second exposure.
01-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

- switch to Bulb
- hold the button down

It's the battery frying.
01-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
It's the battery frying.
That's not funny, lol. Ok it is a little. I heard a noise like that one day sitting at my desk. Couldn't figure out what it was until battery acid started leaking out of my mouse. Had it happen once after that, but heard a nice little "POP" before hand.
01-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #15

- switch to Bulb
- hold the button down

I've just followed those instructions on mine, and yes, I can hear it... but only when I move the camera. As long as the camera is perfectly still (ie. resting on my desk or a tripod), I get no noise. So I would assume it has something to do with Shake Reduction. And since SR + Bulb is probably not a viable combination (since you should be using a tripod for long exposures, and turning SR off), this wouldn't appear to be a problem I would say!