Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
I know some FF wishers may switch and give up many features of K-5 class just to have the FF, and having the really class leading K-5 many of us will not upgrade. So, how many will buy a K-5 replacement at $1500?
Currently we (me and my wife) are using K-5 as our walk around/travel camera, while Nikon FF is for paid work.
We will not buy K-5 replacement if that replacement is APS-C. We will buy K-5 replacement if it's FF - I believe that Pentax made FF will be compact and we will be able to use it as our travel camera as neither me nor my wife have a wish to carry huge and heavy Nikon FF to our leisure walks and trips.

04-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
But what I would reaaaaaly like to see on the K-3 is for Pentax to wring-out something extra on that 24MP sensor. For example, when I was perusing Sony's RAW samples, I found the grain to be pretty rough in contrast to the 16mp variants. That is to say that edge detail would fray or show signs of deterioration quite early on in contrast to the 16MP samples and so I think definiately room for improvements in that area of things.
Pentax is the only camera manufacturer using the Sony 16MP sensor that allows the sensor to be operated at ISO 80, giving Pentax an edge over competing manufacturers using the same sensor (see DxOMark for details). I think Pentax will do the same if it chooses to use the Sony 24MP sensor.

--DragonLord
04-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Pentax is the only camera manufacturer using the Sony 16MP sensor that allows the sensor to be operated at ISO 80, giving Pentax an edge over competing manufacturers using the same sensor (see DxOMark for details). I think Pentax will do the same if it chooses to use the Sony 24MP sensor.

--DragonLord
Good point!
Now you've got me hoping for ISO50
05-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #19
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well in my planning I will buy that entry-level FF and K-5 replacement and sell both of my K-5's.

I'm hoping for:
- 16 megapixel for APS-C (I'm not impressed with the 24mp APS-C)
- 24 megapixel for FF
- Let's hope for a dual PRIME M processor (but one will do).
- I hope one of them is in Silver

05-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well in my planning I will buy that entry-level FF and K-5 replacement and sell both of my K-5's.

I'm hoping for:
- 16 megapixel for APS-C (I'm not impressed with the 24mp APS-C)
- 24 megapixel for FF
- Let's hope for a dual PRIME M processor (but one will do).
- I hope one of them is in Silver
And hoe much you are willing to pay for it? I do not believe Pentax coming with a low cost FF (if they come at all). If they bring something out at $2800 wouldn't many people say "I rather go with D800 for just 200 more"?
05-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

And hoe much you are willing to pay for it? I do not believe Pentax coming with a low cost FF (if they come at all). If they bring something out at $2800 wouldn't many people say "I rather go with D800 for just 200 more"?
Well, some people went for K-5 instead of D7000

Also there's another thing: Pentax DSLRs usually drop their price considerably. So, $2800 quite soon would become $2300 maybe even $2000 with some rebates/discounts.
05-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #22
Inactive Account

...If they bring something out at $2800 wouldn't many people say "I rather go with D800 for just 200 more"?

Since I went for a k5 over a d7000 and have no Nikon lenses? Not very likely.
If the Pentax is better, like the k5 was/is, it too will attract users.

More and more I think the success of/response to the K5 has allowed/will allow Pentax to do some things they might not otherwise have done/do.

05-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Well, some people went for K-5 instead of D7000

Also there's another thing: Pentax DSLRs usually drop their price considerably. So, $2800 quite soon would become $2300 maybe even $2000 with some rebates/discounts.
Sure. However, this will be even more tough if Nikon comes out with a cheap D600. Again, any camera concept may have their customers, and only a few people may prefer a basic entry level FF to a APS-C camera in K-5 class, just for the sake of FF. However, many may prefer to stay with (Pentax) APS-C for sure. My point was that all these FF rumors -if come true- can put Pentax more and more under pressure unless they have a good strategy.
05-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Sure. However, this will be even more tough if Nikon comes out with a cheap D600. Again, any camera concept may have their customers, and only a few people may prefer a basic entry level FF to a APS-C camera in K-5 class, just for the sake of FF. However, many may prefer to stay with (Pentax) APS-C for sure. My point was that all these FF rumors -if come true- can put Pentax more and more under pressure unless they have a good strategy.
I think that it would be good for Pentax if Nikon produces such a model. Pentax competes on a "try-to-catch-a-hit-on-a-special-appeal-in-almost-all-categories" kind of way. They have been in that mode for a while now. I think that Pentax/Ricoh knows that they will never be direct competitors of Canikon. However, they probably also know that not trying to repond to the general trends is probably the wrong direction if they even want to sustain business. There is some value in having competitors, especially when they decide to float the balloon. Pentax will eventually get to providing a balloon of their own. It might be months (or years) overdue, and overhyped. It might be great. No one knows. It probably will be K-mount.

Pentax / Ricoh might decide to compete with Sony instead, and maybe the Pentax MILC offerings do that, but Pentax seems to have Canikon more in their sights. Canon has no MILC's to my knowledge, and Nikon has a Q super small type. That's it. None of the three have extensive EVF's yet to my knowledge. It's not that none won't have them and more MILC offerings. It is about the risk of offering them in unproven markets, and some would say unproven technology. I think that they want to see a little more market maturation, so they can see how to repond. Pentax deserves a little credit for diving into markets that appeal to two different MILC buyers, though. However, my point is that Pentax has and will compete, and I think that competing with something lke the proposed Nikon D600 might be less formidable than one might think.

Assuming that Canon wants no part of the MILC market (which is likely wrong, btw), Nikon could easily put a K-01 killer on the shelves. Nikon could overtake a balloon like the K-01 if it wanted. Just like Pentax could model something to compete with the proposed Nikon model. In theory, all of the inherent features of a DLSR that have already been developed lets a FF camera be a possibility for a manufacturer. Like I said above, it may be months (or years) overdue, and overhyped. It might be great. No one knows. But I would bet that Pentax engineers have already had some prep about different trends - FF being one of them. FF will surely be discussed if a Nikon product has some measure of success.

The quicker the market opens up, the faster others will act to exploit it. Funny how Pentax has tried to be quick to the MILC market, in some ways anyway. They might not be quick to the market if a camera like the Nikon D600 is produced, but if it shows promise I doubt that Pentax / Ricoh will ignore it.

Last edited by lammie200; 05-04-2012 at 09:12 AM.
05-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm... now they say it's more likely hapenning, and with a rumored $1500 I would say it's really tempting for many. Remember that it's a bridge to FF as you can buy it with one or two lens and after a few years you are hooked to Nikon FF and will spend your money to upgrade to the D800 replacement ;ͻ)
05-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
Since I went for a k5 over a d7000 and have no Nikon lenses? Not very likely.
If the Pentax is better, like the k5 was/is, it too will attract users.

More and more I think the success of/response to the K5 has allowed/will allow Pentax to do some things they might not otherwise have done/do.
The D7000 was not full frame. The D600 is.
05-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find the Nikon specs really impressive and if the rumored sub $1500 price is true, I will have a very tough decision this fall. The one thing that I don't like about the Nikon rumors is that there will be no internal drive. Somehow, I just think this should be included on any camera at a $1500 price point and up (and yes, that is just a random personal thought about electronics). Not including a drive is what makes me think I will ultimately stay Pentax.

I would much prefer to stay with Pentax. The ideal would be for me to keep my K5 (for now) but add the full frame to it. I'd get the best of both worlds and I wouldn't have to immediately sell off my DA* Zooms that I love so much. I would be willing to go up to $2000 to stay with Pentax and they would only need slightly better specs than the rumored Nikon to make me pay more for Pentax.

What I think is must have (considering the rumored Nikons rumored specs):
Dual Card Slots
24mp/FF
More AF Points
5fps (but more would be nice, just saying)
Better flash performance

I would also fully expect that the Pentax would be fully backwards compatible (and therefore have the internal drive). A lot of my desire to stay Pentax is not just based on history it is that I honestly love the quality of some of their lenses I would like tethered too, but I don't know that I personally have to have it to stay Pentax. There are also rumors of new affordable FF cameras coming from Canon and Sony too. I am not as drawn to those options, but it may be that I have heard more about the Nikon. If there are three FF releases around $1500-$2000 I do believe that Pentax will have to put a FF out there in order to survive.

Plus, I just really would prefer to stay with Pentax and so they should release a FF just to make me happy... since the world does revolve around me