Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Photos: Albums
Posts: 313
K-5 replacement to compete with an entry level FF Nikon?

If a shaved FF Nikon rumored here comes true, how Pentax will be under pressure with their high end APS-C? I mean Nikon has already set their higher end D7000 at $1200-ish and it can be the same for its successor. However, if that D600 comes true at around $1500, is it easy for Pentax to sell the K-5 replacement at K-5's introduction price?
I know some FF wishers may switch and give up many features of K-5 class just to have the FF, and having the really class leading K-5 many of us will not upgrade. So, how many will buy a K-5 replacement at $1500?

04-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member
liukaitc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,008
you nean have a FF sensor in a kx level body and operation?
I would stick with k-5
04-27-2012, 10:06 AM - 7 Likes   #3
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
What will new Pentax cams be?
Those who know, don't talk.
Those who talk, don't know.

[\thread]
04-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Photos: Albums
Posts: 313
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
you nean have a FF sensor in a kx level body and operation?
I would stick with k-5
For sure I'm not willing to do that either; I'm not spending that much for required lenses, and I will not benefit from FF. However, I believe it certainly will affect the market (of K-5 class) which can be good or bad for Pentax/Pentaxians in long term.

04-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member
lammie200's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,028
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
So, how many will buy a K-5 replacement at $1500?
Not to be flippant, but everyone that wants one will buy one. The original MSRP for the K-5 was more than $1500. I am sure that its replacement will be more than $1500. However, from the rumors it appears as though Pentax may have 3-4 new DSLR's in its line up at some point fairly soon. They will very likely hit all the relevant competitve price points. I expect Pentax to be competively priced with similar Canon and Nikon camera bodies. The K-5 always retailed for slightly less than the Canon 7D, for example. Even though Pentax lens prices jumped, I don't think that Ricoh / Pentax is arrogant enough to think that their products will demand premium pricing in the long run.

The K-01 and Q are slightly different animals from DSLR's. Both the K-01 and Q have substantial unique qualities, thus, at least, the initial premium pricing. DSLR's are much more homogenous in my opinion.
04-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2007
Location: singapore
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,091
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
What will new Pentax cams be?
Those who know, don't talk.
Those who talk, don't know.

[\thread]



marcus
04-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
If a shaved FF Nikon rumored here comes true, how Pentax will be under pressure with their high end APS-C? I mean Nikon has already set their higher end D7000 at $1200-ish and it can be the same for its successor. However, if that D600 comes true at around $1500, is it easy for Pentax to sell the K-5 replacement at K-5's introduction price?
I know some FF wishers may switch and give up many features of K-5 class just to have the FF, and having the really class leading K-5 many of us will not upgrade. So, how many will buy a K-5 replacement at $1500?
The idea of 24MMP appeals to me, though I honestly don't know if its enough to warrant upgrading from a K-5 in itself.
However, if the K-3 came with enough refinements, then I think it could be justifiable. For example; 24MP, 8-10FPS, 28RAW Buffer, Focus Peeking, Low level NR: ON/OFF, Tethering, Pano Assist, AF bracketing, slightly weaker AA(like K-01), better DR, better ISO, better color depth, better red channel performance.

And then there's room for little thing like: being able to use controls when zoomed-in, in LV, AF and manual control while in video, etc etc.

But what I would reaaaaaly like to see on the K-3 is for Pentax to wring-out something extra on that 24MP sensor. For example, when I was perusing Sony's RAW samples, I found the grain to be pretty rough in contrast to the 16mp variants. That is to say that edge detail would fray or show signs of deterioration quite early on in contrast to the 16MP samples and so I think definiately room for improvements in that area of things.
04-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Photos: Albums
Posts: 313
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
The idea of 24MMP appeals to me, though I honestly don't know if its enough to warrant upgrading from a K-5 in itself.
However, if the K-3 came with enough refinements, then I think it could be justifiable. For example; 24MP, 8-10FPS, 28RAW Buffer, Focus Peeking, Low level NR: ON/OFF, Tethering, Pano Assist, AF bracketing, slightly weaker AA(like K-01), better DR, better ISO, better color depth, better red channel performance.

And then there's room for little thing like: being able to use controls when zoomed-in, in LV, AF and manual control while in video, etc etc.

But what I would reaaaaaly like to see on the K-3 is for Pentax to wring-out something extra on that 24MP sensor. For example, when I was perusing Sony's RAW samples, I found the grain to be pretty rough in contrast to the 16mp variants. That is to say that edge detail would fray or show signs of deterioration quite early on in contrast to the 16MP samples and so I think definiately room for improvements in that area of things.
Well John I guess you are asking too much (and probably for too little money) to Pentax!

The funny thing is I remember many of FF lovers asking for a bare bone FF camera from Pentax, with the lowest price in the market, while we know if Pentax ever did that most of them and all Canikon shooters would blame them! They will have one or two things (at least) to let Pentax have their money. Now, Nikon may do that with this rumored D600 as they have several cameras in different levels and there will be an offering for anybody as long as they wish to pay for it.

04-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,546
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
What will new Pentax cams be?
Those who know, don't talk.
Those who talk, don't know.

[\thread]
RR Have you put those lines to music yet? People here would buy it.. hehe
04-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Well John I guess you are asking too much (and probably for too little money) to Pentax!
I'd have no problems putting $1800 for a camera with these specs myself.
04-28-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,243
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
The idea of 24MMP appeals to me, though I honestly don't know if its enough to warrant upgrading from a K-5 in itself.
However, if the K-3 came with enough refinements, then I think it could be justifiable. For example; 24MP, 8-10FPS, 28RAW Buffer, Focus Peeking, Low level NR: ON/OFF, Tethering, Pano Assist, AF bracketing, slightly weaker AA(like K-01), better DR, better ISO, better color depth, better red channel performance.

And then there's room for little thing like: being able to use controls when zoomed-in, in LV, AF and manual control while in video, etc etc.

But what I would reaaaaaly like to see on the K-3 is for Pentax to wring-out something extra on that 24MP sensor. For example, when I was perusing Sony's RAW samples, I found the grain to be pretty rough in contrast to the 16mp variants. That is to say that edge detail would fray or show signs of deterioration quite early on in contrast to the 16MP samples and so I think definiately room for improvements in that area of things.
I, too, have found the 24 MP sensor to seem to be a little lacking in comparison with the 16 MP sensor. Just a little step back with regard to dynamic range/high iso. Unless Pentax can make it equivalent to the K5s performance, I don't particularly see the benefit.

Then, they would need to do something to improve the buffer. Clearly it has really high read out speeds, capable of 10 fps, but with bigger files, there would need to be a serious upgrade to the PRIME engine and processor in order that you not end up with buffer filled after a second and a half of shooting.

We'll see. I am sure that Pentax is trying to whip something up in their secret Fortress of Solitude that will convince even the most ardent Canon/Nikon follower to go Pentax.
04-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Reportage's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 739
My answer is simple, if Pentax does not provide the tools you need for the job at hand...Go for the ones that can.

Compared to past, not really that expensive for a amateur to keep several systems not to mention a pro.
04-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member
madbrain's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 807
Those Nikon specs are impressive indeed.
However I see AA battery option, nor a battery grip option. At least the K-5 can use them with a grip.
There is also no articulated screen which makes it less useful for video. Kind of odd since they added an autofocus mode for video.
Those features are much more important to me than 24MP.
04-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
RR Have you put those lines to music yet? People here would buy it.. hehe
The appropriate tune would be a dirge, eh?

[PS: Sorry for the delay -- I've been offline for a few days.]
04-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,546
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The appropriate tune would be a dirge, eh?

[PS: Sorry for the delay -- I've been offline for a few days.]
Yes a dirge with a boogie beat... ..not possible, I know but there's nothing like going down dancin'!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, class, dslr, entry level ff, ff, k-5, k-5 replacement, nikon, pentax, photography, replacement
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An Entry Level Point-n-Shoot of the Future ? adr1an Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 6 08-14-2011 08:19 AM
Is the K-x the best choice for an entry level Pentax SLR? brandonbpm Pentax DSLR Discussion 41 04-26-2011 11:15 PM
K-x - Best entry-level digital SLR camera @ ConsumerSearch.com UnknownVT Pentax News and Rumors 8 03-22-2011 06:32 PM
Why do entry-level DSLRs often come with a telephoto? J-D-G Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 56 02-16-2011 06:26 AM
New Sony entry-level DSLRs - A290 / A390 jhaji Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 6 06-14-2010 10:21 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top