Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #1

Instantaneous viewing of photos on laptop

Hello all
I'm using a new K5 and have the software that came with the camera. What I want to know is: is there any way of hooking the camera up to the laptop so that when I take a photo I can instantly view it on the screen of my laptop rather than on the smaller screen on my camera? Can I do this with the software provided or do I need some 3rd party software? I probably should mention that I am using windows 7 (32 bit version)
Thanks
Ian

04-28-2012, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll need to use software called pk tether, as Pentax currently doesn't provide any of their own tethering software. A found search for that should lead you to more info

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
This is a great forum! Thanks for the reply. At the moment I am downloading that software.
Thanks again.
04-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You'll need to use software called pk tether, as Pentax currently doesn't provide any of their own tethering software. A found search for that should lead you to more info
You sure i thought that was a tethering program?

If you have an RAW converter with auto import you can use that as well.
Connect the camera and say it needs to auto-import from the SD card

04-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I haven't tried it, but I understood that if you plugged an HDMI cable in, your laptop would replicate whatever was on the screen. You need a tether program if you want to change any settings (please, Ricoh?) but AFAIK you can view stuff just using HDMI. You need the tiny connector though, which I don't have so I can't check
04-28-2012, 02:24 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are various ways to connect an external screen to a k5 if you ONLY want to view the pics (hdmi, analog). But if you want to move the pics to an external computer AND view them, pktether is what you need.

Laptops unfortunately do not typically let you use the screen to view only, they do not usually have an hdmi in. The monitor of a desktop may, or a tv, or a field monitor.
04-28-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Laptops unfortunately do not typically let you use the screen to view only, they do not usually have an hdmi in. The monitor of a desktop may, or a tv, or a field monitor.
Oops - didn't think of that - of course I usually do it the other way - show the laptop screen on the tv using the HDMI out.
04-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, annoying isn't it. It's a discovery I made with my K7 so I went with a SmallHD in the end, forget about inputting HDMI to show on a laptop. Blech.