Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #1

K100D focusing

Hi all. I have noticed some focus issues with my K100D and manual lenses. They just seam to be slightly off when using manual lenses. I am getting the focus indicator, both in the finder and the info panel below. I seam to be in focus just slightly off the focus indication and the shots with the green light or just no the sharpest.

01-15-2008, 01:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you test that with different lenses? I did a test with Tamron 70-300, with K100D set on MF and colud not focus what I wanted to, even with help of focus indicator. I.m waiting now for my 50/1.7 M lense and will report on results....
01-15-2008, 01:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A case of PLBV? First off, is your diopter correction adjusted to your eyesight? The focus indicator is merely an aid. Trust your eyes.
01-15-2008, 02:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry: PLBV?

01-15-2008, 02:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
Sorry: PLBV?
Problem Lies Behind Viewfinder
01-15-2008, 03:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
you got me....
01-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Huh. I have tried adjusting the diopter. I was wondering if anyone had this issue. Thinking that looked correctly focused to my eye didn't when reviewed. Oh I don't wear glass or have any vision problems

01-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fastoys2nv Quote
Huh. I have tried adjusting the diopter. I was wondering if anyone had this issue. Thinking that looked correctly focused to my eye didn't when reviewed. Oh I don't wear glass or have any vision problems
I think it's best to adjust diopter so the line markings in viewfinder look sharpest, not by some object in the view as that's not accurate enough.
01-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi all. I have noticed some focus issues with my K100D and manual lenses. They just seam to be slightly off when using manual lenses. I am getting the focus indicator, both in the finder and the info panel below. I seam to be in focus just slightly off the focus indication and the shots with the green light or just no the sharpest.

I have had some trouble with manual focus and the focus indicator light not being quite in sync. My camera was front focusing slightly especially with a narrow DOF. It made manual focusing very frustrating for sure! I put a slit prism focusing screen with microprism collar in my camera. That helped with the actual focus, but that still didn't happen with the indicator light. I wanted the focus indicator to work right so I made some adjustments to the camera. Here is a linkto the method I used to adjust the focus indicator. Use at your own risk! But it worked just fine for me. Just make sure when you calibrate it that you have plenty of bright light. Since poor lighting (and the type of light) seems to effect the accuracy of the focus indicator.
01-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've noted a back focus tendency with mine. Then again, sometimes the dang light comes on when I'm TOTALLY far out fuzzy out of focus!
01-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #11

Original Poster
ya I read some posts elsewhere re the focus adjustment from the underside of the camera. It's less that a month old so I called my buddy over at one of the Henrys stores and he just going to give me another body to try out and see if it works better.
01-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #12

"I am getting the focus indicator, both in the finder and the info panel below."

Just in case you made the same mistake I did starting out using manual focus and others have assumed this is too obvious. When you say in the finder do you mean the red indicator? When I first started using my old M50 F2 and manual focus I incorrectly assumed the red indicator was actual focus distance. This is not the case - as you can see by having a completely out of focus object and the red indicator lights up. The green hexagon is the actual in focus indication. Ken.
01-19-2008, 07:11 AM   #13

Original Poster
I was refering to the green indicator on the info panel as well as appearing to be in focus in the finder. I had the body replaced an it appears to have been a focusing issue with the body. Top photo old body bottom new body, same lens shot at f1.7. Focus point was the center can.

01-21-2008, 01:07 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was refering to the green indicator on the info panel as well as appearing to be in focus in the finder. I had the body replaced an it appears to have been a focusing issue with the body. Top photo old body bottom new body, same lens shot at f1.7. Focus point was the center can.

If this is true, than I'm wondering: why does the camera's focus confirmation work with my DA lense (KIT lense) in auto or manual focusing? Is it a problem at apertures just below F/2?