Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
camera Q

iv got and love a pentax K-m thinking of moving up a to my next camera ideas and views please

04-29-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5, k-5, k-5 ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Rusky40 Quote
iv got and love a pentax K-m thinking of moving up a to my next camera ideas and views please
Bonjour,

With the prices coming down (recently in France, then back up slightly), I would suggest a K-5 ... mine is great and plan to keep it for many a year! Prices may drop more soon ... with its successor(s) soon to be released IMHO. Keep an eye out for flash rebates ... there have been some interesting ones here in France via the Pentax Boutique of Amazon ...

Happy hunting ... et salut, John le Frog
04-29-2012, 04:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
dum Q i can use all my km lenses yes
04-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes you can use your lenses from the km on the k5. The lenses are k mount lenses and will work with any camera that are k mount bodies. As for suggestions, this in my opinion really depends on how proficient you are with your camera are you still learning or is the km just not good enough because there are cheaper alternatives then the k5.

The k5 is much bigger and has more functions but if you dont know much it can become overwhelming. I do not suggest you buy the best just because it is the best. I dont want to be rude or anything but the simple fact that you are not aware that k mount lenses will work with a k mount body would seem to indicate that you might not have complete understanding of the slr system and thus i would not suggest a k5. This is practically number one thing you should know when investing into a camera system. Not megapixels or sensor sizes.

If you find the km just not good at taking photos id suggest the kr or kx the newer editions of the km. They are better in all regards but wont break the bank. I own a km and at times i find it lacking in low light situations but i can easily deal with that with faster lenses in most cases. If you are not taking good photos and you think that upgrading to the latest and greatest will solve the problem you are mistaken. However since im not sure of your abilities this may not be the case. It could be that youve reached the limits of the km in which case the next upgrade would be the k5.

04-29-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Your transition to a digital camera will be about changes to the PROCESSES of photography, not the difference in camera bodies.

If you don't recognize that fact you will be very frustrated.

H2
04-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
iv been shooting with my km since it 1st came out im a practical photographer iv had offers to buy my pics just not a theary person i know about the K mount but as iv only ever used the km wasnt sure about the newer camera bodies i was looking to pos upgrade as i shoot alot of track days at the mo aswell as landscape but is pos cos i need to upgrade 1 of my lenses no the camera body but im having to everything on a budget prob next buy will be a faster better zoom lens
04-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Not sure if you have much of a collection of lenses for your K-m, but a lens collection is certainly one major reason to stick with the brand, even if it is just a few lenses.

You didn't say what your reasons were for wanting to step up to a new camera, whether it was just better performance or more flexibility in shooting or both.
Since you said you love your K-m, then I would think either the K-r or K-5 would give you a similar shooting experience, with improved performance. The K-01 not having a viewfinder changes the shooting experience, in a way that doesn't really compare, so I'd rule that out.

The K-r is not much of an improvement over the K-x, but the K-x was supposedly a large improvement over the K-m. So overall the K-r should be a step up. I'm not really qualified to comment in this area, this is just what I recall from reading other reviews.

I think my K-5 is awesome. If you want to get creative, you can control everything, but if you don't want to think about it, or want to hand the camera over to someone else to shoot, you can just leave everything on their "green" settings and fire away, and most of the shots will still come out great.
04-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #8

Original Poster
iv 4 lenses 4 my km [IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by Rusky40; 04-29-2012 at 07:22 AM.
04-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #9

Original Poster
as i said i find the km a little slow on my track day shot but they is quite pos as i need to add to my 2 main lensrs i use a 18/22 and a 77/300 to inclood a 70/200
04-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Good advice ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Not sure if you have much of a collection of lenses for your K-m, but a lens collection is certainly one major reason to stick with the brand, even if it is just a few lenses.

You didn't say what your reasons were for wanting to step up to a new camera, whether it was just better performance or more flexibility in shooting or both.
Since you said you love your K-m, then I would think either the K-r or K-5 would give you a similar shooting experience, with improved performance. The K-01 not having a viewfinder changes the shooting experience, in a way that doesn't really compare, so I'd rule that out.

The K-r is not much of an improvement over the K-x, but the K-x was supposedly a large improvement over the K-m. So overall the K-r should be a step up. I'm not really qualified to comment in this area, this is just what I recall from reading other reviews.

I think my K-5 is awesome. If you want to get creative, you can control everything, but if you don't want to think about it, or want to hand the camera over to someone else to shoot, you can just leave everything on their "green" settings and fire away, and most of the shots will still come out great.
Re-bonjour,

This kind of why I said to get a K-5 ... the K-r is quite good, I have one, but it's been discontinued (like the K-x which has no AF points BTW) so not really to be recommended IMHO.

The K-5 is toward the end of its product life-cycle, thus prices are coming down to very interesting levels, the K-5 is a proven winner and highly praised, the K-5 is WR so with a WR lens you can go about everywhere, and you have a hard time shooting cycle races without an OVF (unlike the K-01, plus slower burst speed here, etc.)

The Pentax AF may not be be the best in the "action photo" area, but I don't do that, so it's no problem for me ...

Allez et bon courage, J Frog
04-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #11

Original Poster
i was thinking of a more Intermediate camera