Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member
kaiserz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NoVa The "burg"
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 899
You are indeed good on lenses. And If I'm in your position I would definitely get myself a K5. Now the question is, which body to keep? K-x (Not the KX) or the k7, they almost run the same at the market nowadays which would you prefer to keep?

And here you go "K7 high ISO success" https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/106600-k-7-high-iso-success.html Not really as high as the k-x's or the k-r's but like I said I'm happy. Also once I get myself a K5 in the future, I know I still have a second body(k7) that I can go out and shoot on the rain with.

Also I don't mean to steal your thread but can I call dibs on your F 50 1.7? of course as long as it's reasonably in priced (I'm a broke college student) and I will be happy to put that gem into good use. And one more thing, what are your opinions with the tamron 10 - 24 vs DA 15 I'm thinking of getting them in the near future. Thanks

04-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #17
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,684
QuoteOriginally posted by alstauffer Quote
Very true; and I am no professional.

Primes
DA 15 Limited
DA 40 Limited
F 50 f/1.7 (for sale once the semester ends and I have free time again, now that I have the FA 43 Ltd)
FA 43 Limited
Sigma 90mm f/2.8 Macro (manual focus)
I'm no pro either, but I like having two bodies, both for backup and because I often carry two bodies. I have a K-x and K20D. I bought a K-5 which misfocussed in tungsten light, even after the firmware upgrade. I returned it instead of exchanging because it didn't offer enough over and above what I already had. I intend to replace the K-x with the K-5 replacement when available and keep the K20.

Your lens kit seems well thought out, but I wonder why you have a DA 40 and FA 43?
04-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Slovenia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,180
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I have 3 bodies (ds,KK10 and K7) I've thought about selling them off for a K5 but I do have periods where i need 2 bodies. I actually have little issue with the K7 beyond noise performance at high ISO. Given I started as a film shooter I don't really see that as a huge hindrance (if you ever shot hi ISO film it had lots of grain the film version of noise) I just learn to work with it. Aside from that the K7 meets any need I have for now. I'd rather just stay with what i have until the rumoured FF camera arrives. then I'll dump a few things to get one. Hopefully they keep the same battery for that system (the same grip would be nice too )
Thay's what I'm thinking. Pimp out that FF 24MP sensor, match it with the K-5 body (minus bugs) and you're good to go.
04-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Thay's what I'm thinking. Pimp out that FF 24MP sensor, match it with the K-5 body (minus bugs) and you're good to go.
It will get a little bigger (the OVF demands it) and an AF update to go along with it would be nice (and a few other things but I don't expect a D4 out of it)

04-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 131
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I've had one body for two years now. still going strong. (Soon to be de-branded and upgraded to K-5. )
Good to hear

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Sell the K-x AND the K7 and buy a K5 and a K10 or *ist or something older as a spare?
QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
This is what I was about to suggest too. K200D and K10Ds are very cheap on ebay.
Hmm, that is something I will have to look into.
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
No, no no
keep K5 and the Q, that's what I most likely will finish off with ( have KX + K7 +Q + K5 on its way....)
I don't know if I could justify the Q, especially not if it's replacing one of my DSLRs. I did get a chance to play with one finally last month, and it is a lot of fun and it's so tiny it's almost comical to use, but that sensor is soo small.. And I already have an E-PL1 that I never use because I like my K-mount glass and find it just as easy to bring one of my DSLR bodies around - I have a Lowepro Passport Sling, that's the perfect size for my netbook + power supply, one textbook, printer paper folded in half for notes, the K-7 + FA 43, with the DA 15 in lens pouch below. I carry that every day while I'm on campus, and I have another bag I will use with just camera + lenses if it's a dedicated photo trip.
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I have 3 bodies (ds,KK10 and K7) I've thought about selling them off for a K5 but I do have periods where i need 2 bodies. I actually have little issue with the K7 beyond noise performance at high ISO. Given I started as a film shooter I don't really see that as a huge hindrance (if you ever shot hi ISO film it had lots of grain the film version of noise) I just learn to work with it. Aside from that the K7 meets any need I have for now. I'd rather just stay with what i have until the rumoured FF camera arrives. then I'll dump a few things to get one. Hopefully they keep the same battery for that system (the same grip would be nice too )
I just started shooting film last month, on an ME Super (what a viewfinder! Puts the K-x to absolute miserable shame), and while I don't find the grain/noise on film so much (granted I've only shot ISO400 and 200 so far), I don't find digital noise to be as unintrusive.

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
You are indeed good on lenses. And If I'm in your position I would definitely get myself a K5. Now the question is, which body to keep? K-x (Not the KX) or the k7, they almost run the same at the market nowadays which would you prefer to keep?

And here you go "K7 high ISO success" https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/106600-k-7-high-iso-success.html Not really as high as the k-x's or the k-r's but like I said I'm happy. Also once I get myself a K5 in the future, I know I still have a second body(k7) that I can go out and shoot on the rain with.

Also I don't mean to steal your thread but can I call dibs on your F 50 1.7? of course as long as it's reasonably in priced (I'm a broke college student) and I will be happy to put that gem into good use. And one more thing, what are your opinions with the tamron 10 - 24 vs DA 15 I'm thinking of getting them in the near future. Thanks
For the first question, Probably the K-7: same controls, can share battery, etc (but then what will I do with my stockpile of rechargeable AA's?). Thanks for the K-7 tip, I will have to try that, maybe I will be happy with just K-7 after all and I'll be able to save some $$.

PM me what you think is a reasonable price for the 50 sometime and we'll talk - I'm a broke college student as well (graduate), [snip, snip, took out too much personal information]

As far as the 10-25 vs DA 15, I have a lot of opinions, haha, though they probably won't help you. So, when I got my K-7, I knew I wanted a wide angle lens to play with, since the kit lens didn't give me what I wanted. I really wanted the DA 15, but couldn't afford it, and found a good deal on the DA 16-45. That was a great lens, a very good upgrade over the kit lens, IMO, but still wasn't quite as wide as I wanted. I sold it, and still wanted the DA 15, but ended up going for the 10-24 because of the versatility and the fact that it would complement my 28-75 nicely, and to date it's the only lens I've ever bought new. I have had a lot of fun with the 10-24 (here is my first outing with it, all are the Tamron except the Mini Cooper pictures) but it does have its limitations. For one, edge sharpness is certainly a bit soft, especially on the wider end, which is a shame since that's why I bought the lens You can see softness in the front bumper here



As long as you stop down, and play enough to know where the limitations are you can get great results, and the extra 10-14mm makes a big difference and give you some really neat perspective distortion and other effects that simply aren't possible with the DA 15, like:



The Tamron was great, it gave me some really good (IMO) pictures, and I was definitely satisfied with the money spent, but I still couldn't shake that DA 15 desire, so I finally got one. I haven't had a chance to really take it out and shoot with it yet since I got it just as projects/exams were picking up here, so I've only shot some test images of my cats and things around the apartment, but OMG this thing is razor sharp, even at f/4.0. The minimum focusing distance is also very, very small, which I personally find to be a huge plus, and the colors are just great. It is also a tiny fraction of the size of the 10-24, so it's very easy to take everywhere. Plus, it says "Limited", so that's nice, too. Here is a straight out of camera I just uploaded for you (just 'developed' from raw with Lightroom's default settings) as an example of f/4.0. I missed focus a bit, but if you look at the full size photo, look at the hair on his forehead and down to his nose.



Moral of the story.. if you want a really capable and versatile zoom and don't mind the size (I like big lenses, I feel like a 'pro'), get the Tamron. If 15mm is wide enough for you, and you want that great 'limited' sharpness, rendering, and size, by all means get the DA 15. If you are wanting it now, you'll probably end up with it someday..
[/UWA Review]
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm no pro either, but I like having two bodies, both for backup and because I often carry two bodies.

Your lens kit seems well thought out, but I wonder why you have a DA 40 and FA 43?
I am leaning towards still having 2 bodies, even if one of them has to be a bit older - I just get paranoid.

As far as DA 40 vs FA 43, I bought the DA 40 with the F 50 f/1.7. I like the ~40mm focal length, and never thought I'd be in a position to own the FA 43, so I never even thought to compare the two. I came across the FA 43 in the Marketplace recently at what I thought to be a very good price, so I bought it, thinking it could replace both the speed of my F 50, and the nice rendering of the DA 40, so I could sell both of those to pay for it. When it arrived I did some shooting of the same subjects back to back with the 40/43, and found they produce very different images.. FA 43 is very creamy, soft(in a good way, not as in 'not sharp'), sort of 'pleasant' pictures, while the DA 40 is really punchy, contrasty and sharp. So.. I haven't been able to get myself to make the decision to sell the DA 40 yet, haha..

Last edited by alstauffer; 04-30-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Removed too much depressing personal info
04-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #21
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Slovenia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,180
QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
I tried the trick that they do to push the k7's ISO performance and now I'm a happy camper.
You mean when you turn on strong noise reduction above ISO 400?
04-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member
DaveHolmes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 1,501
QuoteOriginally posted by alstauffer Quote
I just started shooting film last month, on an ME Super (what a viewfinder! Puts the K-x to absolute miserable shame),
You NEED to try an MX to see what a viewfind should be like...
04-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #23
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 131
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
You NEED to try an MX to see what a viewfind should be like...
There is one sitting on my shelf (hooray for someone mis-spelling Pentax, $15 on ebay), but the shutter is frozen, it's like the button is permanently pressed... and it kind of smells.. Nice decoration, though.

04-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by alstauffer Quote
There is one sitting on my shelf (hooray for someone mis-spelling Pentax, $15 on ebay), but the shutter is frozen, it's like the button is permanently pressed... and it kind of smells.. Nice decoration, though.
if it's in good shape otherwise (ie no big dents and dings) it's worth sending off to Eric for a CLA/repair. once he cleans it up it will provide years of good service. Most older bodies you pick up will need one to be their best, I'd only invest in it if the body looked in good shape though *aside from the leather which is easily replaced anyway)
04-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #25
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 131
Original Poster
Also.. I hope I'm not coming off as elitist or something complaining about the K-7 high ISO performance, it's just that, this whole album was accidentally taken at ISO3200 on the K-x (it was my first time seeing many of those cars in person, I was overwhelmed and forgot to change the ISO from taking low-light pictures the night before), and yes there is some noise in the pictures, and yes they're pretty heavily post-processed, by I ended up getting one of my favorite shots that day, and if I was using the K-7, who knows, maybe none of them would have turned out:




Yeah, it was user error, but still, K-x saved my butt, and I think the K-7 might have thrown me under the bus
04-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member
DaveHolmes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 1,501
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
if it's in good shape otherwise (ie no big dents and dings) it's worth sending off to Eric for a CLA/repair
Absolutely seconded... MX is currently my favourite of 7 cameras... Stunning!
04-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #27
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 131
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
if it's in good shape otherwise (ie no big dents and dings) it's worth sending off to Eric for a CLA/repair. once he cleans it up it will provide years of good service. Most older bodies you pick up will need one to be their best, I'd only invest in it if the body looked in good shape though *aside from the leather which is easily replaced anyway)
There's a decent-sized dent in the bottom, but nothing other than that - hmm, that's definitely something to think about.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bodies, camera, dslr, k-5, k-7, k-x, love, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:32 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top