Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-x + K-7 --> K-5?

Right now I have two bodies, a K-x and recently picked up a K-7. I really love the feel and control layout (and faster AF, quieter shutter, larger viewfinder.. :ugh: and so on) of the K-7, and haven't been able to get myself to shoot with the K-x since it arrived, but it seems like every time I load my photos to my PC, I'm disappointed with the quality/noise after shooting with the K-x for almost a year. I love having two bodies, because I'm pretty paranoid about things breaking even though I pamper them; and I carry one of the cameras with me just about everywhere I go lately. It seems like I could almost break even if I sold both the K-x/K-7 and found a used K-5 body, but I'm a little hesitant to give up the two-body 'safety-net'.

Has anyone else made this or a similar move? Did/do you miss having 2 bodies, or never look back because of the K-5's improvements?

I had read here before buying the K-7 that the IQ was worse than the K-x, but I didn't quite believe I would notice the difference so much, and was really looking forward to the better ergonomics. Oops. I might just have to sell the K-7 and try hard to forget about how nice it was to use until I can afford to add a K-5 someday instead of replacing.

Last edited by alstauffer; 04-29-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Spelling.
04-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before getting my K-5, I would always hang on to a second digital body, but I never really ended up using the older backup body.

It's safe to say that as long as your K-5 doesn't shit the bed (which isn't very likely), you won't need another body, as the K-5's IQ is better than that of the K-x and it has the same control layout as the K-7.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not being a professional who needs to carry 2 bodies all the time, I would take a single body that covers 90-95% of performance of 2 bodies combined!
04-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had a K-r, it was my first camera, It was awesome.
After 3 months I got myself a k7, loved everything about it but the poor ISO performance.
I was also thinking that I will keep the K-r as a second body,
but I just wasn't able to shoot with it,
thus I decided to sell it and get a k5 instead.
But instead of a k5, I realize that I don't need the K5(for now)
And I just decided to get some beautiful lenses.
And some flash in the future with my Kr money.
Now I'm much more happier.

The k7 is an awesome camera, it taught me to shoot with what I have, and what my camera is capable of. Of course I was used too shooting at ISO 3200 with my kr but I had to adjust with the K7, I tried the trick that they do to push the k7's ISO performance and now I'm a happy camper.

04-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I have both Kx and K7 and love having two different bodies, slower smaller lenses on the smaller Kx with better ISO and bigger faster glass on the K7.
Also the extra camera means my wife and I can shoot simultaneously which is cool too.
A K5 for me wouldn't replace both cameras but only one.
If you don't use the Kx at all over the K7 except for better high ISO then sell both and get a K5.
04-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not one to sell bodies. I do carry, and often need a second body. I do have a K-5 on the way now, and if I like it enough, I will probably get a second.

However, in your shoes, if I had used the K-7 enough to thoroughly understand it, and still preferred the output of the K-x I would probably sell the K-7 and save the extra for the K-5. I say this because my best body has been the K20 D for some time. I played with the K-7 and didn't feel it could give me better images than investing in better glass could. As kaiserz said, better glass could be another option for you.
04-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Having 2 bodies is very very handy. Sell the K-7 and buy a K-5. If you find you still use the K-x then keep it, otherwise sell it.

04-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Before getting my K-5, I would always hang on to a second digital body, but I never really ended up using the older backup body.

It's safe to say that as long as your K-5 doesn't shit the bed (which isn't very likely), you won't need another body, as the K-5's IQ is better than that of the K-x and it has the same control layout as the K-7.
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Not being a professional who needs to carry 2 bodies all the time, I would take a single body that covers 90-95% of performance of 2 bodies combined!
Very true; and I am no professional.

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
The k7 is an awesome camera, it taught me to shoot with what I have, and what my camera is capable of. Of course I was used too shooting at ISO 3200 with my kr but I had to adjust with the K7, I tried the trick that they do to push the k7's ISO performance and now I'm a happy camper.
What trick is that?

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Also the extra camera means my wife and I can shoot simultaneously which is cool too.

If you don't use the Kx at all over the K7 except for better high ISO then sell both and get a K5.
The significant other has just removed herself from the picture, so that's not a concern. When I first got the K-7, I took the K-x everywhere because it was cheaper and I would be less sad if it broke or was stolen. I've started carrying the K-7 every day anyway though since it's more fun to use.. I don't personally find the K-7 to take up a significantly larger amount of space, so except for taking high ISO images of my cats, lol, I only use the K-7.

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
As kaiserz said, better glass could be another option for you.
I think I am set there for a while; the only lenses I'm really wanting right now are a 70-200 2.8 and the DA 70 Limited. DA 21 Limited would be nice someday too, because I love the Limiteds I have and the images I've seen others take with it, but I don't use or find myself wanting that focal length often enough to spend the $$.

Zooms I regularly use
Tamron 10-24
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Quantaray 70-300

Primes
DA 15 Limited
DA 40 Limited
F 50 f/1.7 (for sale once the semester ends and I have free time again, now that I have the FA 43 Ltd)
FA 43 Limited
Sigma 90mm f/2.8 Macro (manual focus)

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Having 2 bodies is very very handy. Sell the K-7 and buy a K-5. If you find you still use the K-x then keep it, otherwise sell it.
I can only afford the K-5 if I sell both of my bodies. And a kidney or two
04-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've had one body for two years now. still going strong. (Soon to be de-branded and upgraded to K-5. )
04-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #10
Inactive Account

fine contrast feature for the Kx

can anyone help me activate the "fine contrast" feature in my KX. this is mentioned in the manual but I cant find the page on how to activate it. thanks
04-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LitoNazareno Quote
can anyone help me activate the "fine contrast" feature in my KX. this is mentioned in the manual but I cant find the page on how to activate it. thanks
I think you should start a new thread in the beginners corner. Do you mean K-x?

Last edited by altopiet; 04-30-2012 at 06:39 AM.
04-30-2012, 05:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sell the K-x AND the K7 and buy a K5 and a K10 or *ist or something older as a spare?
04-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Sell the K-x AND the K7 and buy a K5 and a K10 or *ist or something older as a spare?
This is what I was about to suggest too. K200D and K10Ds are very cheap on ebay.
04-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do not forget about the Q

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
No, no no
keep K5 and the Q, that's what I most likely will finish off with ( have KX + K7 +Q + K5 on its way....)
04-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have 3 bodies (ds,KK10 and K7) I've thought about selling them off for a K5 but I do have periods where i need 2 bodies. I actually have little issue with the K7 beyond noise performance at high ISO. Given I started as a film shooter I don't really see that as a huge hindrance (if you ever shot hi ISO film it had lots of grain the film version of noise) I just learn to work with it. Aside from that the K7 meets any need I have for now. I'd rather just stay with what i have until the rumoured FF camera arrives. then I'll dump a few things to get one. Hopefully they keep the same battery for that system (the same grip would be nice too )