Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
When I bought my K-5, I gave my *istDS to my sister-in-law. If she decides she doesn't like using it, I told her to give it back. I kind of hope she does return it.

I'd never laugh at anyone with a 6.1 MP camera, or a particular brand. If you can get the pictures you want from it, it doesn't matter if it is a cell phone camera or the latest offering from any camera manufacturer. My friend Kat rented studio time to take pictures of her children and the owner made fun of her because she uses Sony instead of Canon. I told her the same thing, about how it was her skills and not the tools, plus he just lost money because she won't rent from him again. I don't like portraits, but the photos she keeps on her desk of her kids are much better than most children's portraits from professionals.

Last edited by nikigunn; 04-30-2012 at 04:44 PM.
04-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #17

I have an *istDL2 and will keep using it until it dies. The funny thing is, if I want higher resolution pictures than the *ist can produce I'll shoot film, develop, and scan myself.
05-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have just one thing to say...

QuoteOriginally posted by keyofnight Quote
For some reason, I stumbled onto an old review of the Pentax *Ist DS over at The Luminous Landscape entitled, "The K1000 of digital SLRs." Mike Johnson writes: "The DS, you see, has something that a lot of other cameras don't – and it's something I personally like a lot. It's just about 'perfectly sorted,' to use the term Phil Askey applied to the D2h. It's plain, which is perfect. While it may not do any one thing the absolute best, it does everything well, in a simple, straightforward, ergonomically sound, and conservatively designed package."

This mirrors my experience with the original *ist D: the camera is small, plain, hefty, reliable, and… old looking. This is the reason I've stuck with the camera for so long—for about seven years—I use it as it were my old Nikon FM2 with the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4. I've had this camera for so long I'm beginning to get scared. With the old Nikon FM2, I knew that I had something that I could hold on to if I wanted to—if I took care of it, I could've kept it for years upon years. I sold it because I couldn't afford film, and what 17 year old nerd could resist the urge to go digital? Now, with the *ist D, I know I'll have to upgrade at some point. I'm not sure I have a choice.

Right now, the list of problems with this camera are compounding: the low-light performance is not-so-great, the CF card write speed is dismal, the camera is finicky about which batteries it'll accept (CR-V3s are all it will take now—at least that's cheaper than film), and the screen is rubbish for checking sharpness. I'm afraid I'll have to admit that the *ist D was released at a time when companies were still trying to figure out how to make a dSLRs, and if I upgrade to a K-7 (or K-5), perhaps then I'll have an absolutely "timeless" camera: one that won't easily pale in comparison to newer technology, one that will stand up better to the elements. This all sounds like a pipe dream. How many people use a Pentium II…on purpose?—and don't forget: the Ivy Bridge Core i7 will end up just as obsolete one day. I don't want my heart broken again.

I have a lot of memories with this body and I'm still shooting with it—that has to count for something—but I don't know where to go from here. Mike Johnson calls the *ist DS the K1000 of dSLRs, but he admits "the *ist DS won't last nearly as long, no doubt. The pace of technological change in digital cameras is just too rapid." It lasted longer than I ever expected, but I want it to last even longer. I wish I could pass this camera down to my children—but will any digital camera have that kind of longevity? Too bad Pentax doesn't have a digital version of its K1000 (I would pay for that, no questions asked).

Here are a few questions. First, do you guys think the K-7 (or K-5) have 6-7 (or more) years worth of longevity? Second, how often do you folks try to upgrade your cameras? Third, would you laugh at someone for shooting on a 6.1MP camera?

...laugh at this:

Would it really be THAT much better on a K5...?

I still would like one, but this old thing does fine as long as you're not in a hurry.

Cheers,
Cameron
05-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Would it really be THAT much better on a K5...?
Well, I don't know if it's *ist D or RAW converter, however hills in the background are complete mess, full of demosaicinc patterns...

05-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #20
Site Supporter

The jpeg loading facility on this site...

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Well, I don't know if it's *ist D or RAW converter, however hills in the background are complete mess, full of demosaicinc patterns...
...has stretched it out way bigger than it actually is for some reason...try this:

Okanagan view... - Pentax User Photo Gallery

if you click on that link, it opens in the proper size/resolution - we're limited to 1.5 megs here. At full resolution on my 27" iMac, it looks great. And the RAW converter was Photoshop CS 6 (beta) about as good as it gets.

Cheers,
Cameron
05-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I'm still seeing demosaicing & jaggies. Maybe the jpeg compression involved is messing it up.

I checked out a couple other of your gallery pics and didn't see the same problems, so perhaps there is something about this one particular pic.
05-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Only reason I orginally changed up to a K-7 from my *istD was because the rear screen had stopped working and I couldn't see any menus to change settings, format cards ect ect, Its still a great camera, I've never had a complaint with it, AF is fine, EV is fine and strangely the screen is working again, Not particually worried about the write speed as I rarely ever did take photos at a high rate, sort of used it the way I took pics on film (don't want to use up all the pixels too quickly, leave some for tommorrow ) and honestly it gives a sharper, cleaner, better picture than my K-7.

Who cares how many pixels it has, I don't, and thats all that matters.

cmohr
05-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
I got 2 *ist's. Use them at the beach. I only shoot 6 - 12 mp Pentax. Only bodies that run on 4 AA batts. They do fine for me. Don't worry what others think, just go out and get the pix.
No, the K100D also runs on 4 AA batts. Mine is 6 yrs old and goin' strong!

Jim

05-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
No, the K100D also runs on 4 AA batts. Mine is 6 yrs old and goin' strong!
That's what annoys me about the newer models…I want them to run on CR-V3s or AA lithiums (I prefer the former). You can find these at any store damned near…and I like having that option. Proprietary batteries, while they tend to be more consistent than a lot of the crabbier rechargeables, put a (possible) time limit on the device: the company may switch to another type of battery and stop supporting the old ones.
05-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #25
Pentaxian

OK
lets get something straight here, the *istD is not my main camera, at least not since I upgraded to the K10D, then K7D and finally the K5D. I seem to upgrade about every 2-3 years, but I never let old stuff go. It is essentially worth nothing compared to the price you pay for it when you buy it, therefore why bother.

My older bodies get less use annually, right now I would hazard to guess I shoot about 2500 shots with the *istD, but i will never let it go for one reason only. TTL flash. Thats right, it can do something none of my newer bodies can. For that reason alone it is worth keeping.

Right now it sits with a dual diagonal split image finder installed for my K mount lenses. I take it occasionally on business trips due to the small size and ease & speed of charging batteries, and it is still a pleasure to use after all these years.
05-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer to upgrade only when there is a compelling need. Since photography is strictly a hobby for me I will keep my K10D as my primary camera until it fails or until my needs change. I'd like better high-ISO performance but I don't really need it, and as has often been pointed out here and elsewhere, its CCD sensor is especially good at low ISO. Also today I finally came up with a reason to try tethered shooting. Shame they dropped this feature.
05-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Also today I finally came up with a reason to try tethered shooting. Shame they dropped this feature.
What reason is that?—just out of curiosity. (:
05-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keyofnight Quote
What reason is that?—just out of curiosity. (:
Explanation here. Of course good live view would have done the trick (nearly) as well, so there's another lack with the older models. Anyway, now that I've started using tethering, I'll probably use it next time I try any studio-type shooting.
05-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Explanation here. Of course good live view would have done the trick (nearly) as well, so there's another lack with the older models. Anyway, now that I've started using tethering, I'll probably use it next time I try any studio-type shooting.
That's great. I'd like to try those tricks with Eye-Fi cards and jailbroken iOS devices. It'd be nice to sell pictures at events that way. I could even charge using Square. We grad students need to figure out ways to make money on the side. (;

For example: