Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OK..OK..i opened the box after waiting about an hour...and it still felt a little cold ..so I just let it sit on the kitchen counter for another half hour or so while I browsed through the owners manual and surfed the NET for another lens or tripod or other accessory to buy.

I'm considering a Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD 1:2 Auto Focus Macro Zoom Lens, a Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 and a Slik Pro 700DX AMT to round out my setup and then maybe a Tamron SP 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD-IF to replace or compliment the kit lens. I also need to get a camera bag and probably a battery grip and extra battery....oh yeah and a remote.

I then decided it was close enough to room temperature and slid the battery into the charger and plugged in it and got it going. I then opened the lens box, unwrapped it and checked it out. Everything looked OK so I took the cover off the camera and installed the lens. I opened the Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB package and installed the memory card.

Over the last weekend I dug out my Nikon FM2 and discovered that the motor drive and flash were ruined but surprisingly the camera and lenses were OK. They sat in a Zero Halliburton case for 12 years or so untouched. Oh well. But the thing is...the Pentax K10D sure looks like it dominates over the FM2. I should take a photo of the two side by side but the only camera I can do that with is my Canon A20 which is on its last legs...

I think I have another hour and a half before the battery's charged.

I'll go back to reading the manuals and maybe installing the software.

I can't wait to start shooting again....
...and thanks for everyone's advice and suggestions...Sprags

Last edited by Sprags; 01-15-2008 at 06:21 PM.
01-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
[...]I dug out my Nikon FM2 and discovered that the motor drive and flash were ruined[...]
Bummer. Mold? Mildew?

Unfortunate...could have sold those to help finance more Pentax lenses!

QuoteQuote:
I can't wait to start shooting again....
...and that's what it's all about...
01-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The foam rubber was all rotten and sticking to everything. The threads on the battery covers of the motor drive and flash were corroded together and when I tried to unscrew them pretty much destroyed the cases. I even tried WD-40 before I applied any force.

I was hoping to sell the whole setup...but now it looks like all I will be able to sell is the camera body and lens.
01-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

How's it going Sprags?? :-)
It took FOREVER for my initial battery charge, lol.

01-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Yep. Three hours is a long, long time when you're watching the clock in anticipation...
01-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I'm considering a Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD 1:2 Auto Focus Macro Zoom Lens, a Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 and a Slik Pro 700DX AMT to round out my setup and then maybe a Tamron SP 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD-IF to replace or compliment the kit lens. I also need to get a camera bag and probably a battery grip and extra battery....oh yeah and a remote.
I know how you feel I just got my K10D last week and started snapping pictures all over the house. Those are a lot of extras you plan to get. I did get a bag to put my stuff in, a Lowepro Rezo 170. I only have two lens as I am a beginner just figuring things out. The weather is not cooperating for me though. I got some good weather to shoot this past weekend but it's been too rainy since then.

I wouldn't mind getting a few extras too like a dedicated macro lens, a tripod and an extra battery. Hope you enjoy your new K10D, I know I will enjoy mine.

Last edited by KFrog; 01-15-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: spelling
01-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I got the camera body, a Pentax 18-250 lens for general purpose outdoors, and the 50mm f1.4. I love both of the lenses (especially the 1.4!) Just those 2 ought to cover my needs for a looong time.
01-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Frog, I just realized you and I have the same k10d setup.

01-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It was charged at a little after 9PM and for the life of me i couldn't figure out why the camera wasn't working....until I found out that I didn't have the lens fully attached. :ugh:

I took a few shots in Green Mode...of stuff around the house including my foot...and put the SD card in the card reader in my printer and the HP stuff opened the photos...so I must have the default *JPG setting as default....and even though the composition of the photos were terrible they sure were a lot sharper than any other digicam I used including the Nikon we have at work (I'm not sure what model it is..I used it only once to photograph a machine I designed and had built when it came from our vendor).

Anyways...now that I'm past the first stage...I'm going back to reading and learning more about how to use it.

(I'll probably go with the prime and tripod before any other lens btw)
01-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #25

How 'bout that!

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Frog, I just realized you and I have the same k10d setup.
It would seem so! Great minds think alike... oh never mind This is my first DSLR so I have to figure out what I'm doing. I really want to learn how to properly use the 50 but it will take some time to figure out the camera first.

I figured it made more sense then getting the kit lens and the 55-200mm or a Tamron or Sigma to get the extra reach. I don't know what kind of photography I will like so better not spend the coin on stuff I may not use.

I do like those limited lenses though...
01-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #26

(I'll probably go with the prime and tripod before any other lens btw)
Which prime so you think you will get? The 21mm, 40mm or 70mm?