Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

My K10D is coming!

I ordered my K10D last week from Adorama.com. And I see by tracking delivery info that its out for delivery today so I believe when I get home at 6:00PM tonight it'll be on my doorstep. I live in a good neighborhood so I'm not too worried about it being stolen.

Anyway..its kinda cold where I live right now and I was wondering if there are certain things I should do when unpacking it since its an electrical/optical piece of equipment?

I imagine I'll also have to charge up the battery too.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks...Sprags

01-15-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations on your purchase. I'm sure you will love the K10D.

Despite what will be an urge to rip open the packaging and play with your new toy, resist the urge and let it sit in your house and warm up for a couple of hours. That will prevent condensation from forming.
01-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So I should just leave it in the box wrapped up and unopened for a few hours?
01-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi Sprags

If the package has been left outside on your doorstep in typically sub-zero temperatures for a couple of hours, as roscot suggested:

QuoteQuote:
resist the urge (to open the package) and let it sit in your house and warm up for a couple of hours
As a general rule of thumb, virtually all rechargeable batteries (including the LIon one supplied with your K10D DSLR) are prone to suffer from reduced performance in freezing temperatures. Ideally allow the parcel to stabilise properly at room temperature for at least a few hours BEFORE attempting to open the contents and starting to charge the battery. Internal condensation can undoubtedly prove a potential problem where complicated electronic devices are concerned, so unless the packaging exhibits serious signs of external transit damage, I'd agree with roscot's sentiments on the matter. Anyhow, I hope that all is well with your new camera and that you derive many years of enjoyment from it.

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 01-15-2008 at 09:37 AM.
01-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think you should let it sit for 24 hours and then charge the battery.

Just kidding. That would be torture! I got my k10d recently and absolutely love it! Have you actually held one in your hands yet? If not, you will be impressed.

Seriously, I don't think you will have to wait too long for it to warm up. The core is made of stainless steel. Also, condensation should not be all that bad, especially if you have central air, the relative humidity in your house will be low. I agree that the battery is the main issue. It is not advisable to charge them when very cold.

Have fun!
01-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I did hold one. I went to the Ritz camera in the mall and they had one on the shelf. It felt very solid and well built. Like the MX that I had years ago. I thought I'd get a chance to do a side-by-side comparison with a few other cameras most notably a Canon XTi but they didn't have one of those. So I drove over to Micro Center a few miles away and checked out the XTi and got the impression that it was maybe not quite as well built.

Though I have a friend that is heavily into photography try to convince me into getting the XTi I still decided to go with the K10D.

I just checked the weather. Right now its 25 degrees F outside so I imagine it'll be slightly cold at 6 tonight.

So..perhaps I could open the package after a few hours and then wait until morning before I start charging the battery?

Sprags
01-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Oh gosh no, you won't have to wait that long. I'm sure that if you wait an hour or so, the battery will be fine for charging. The temperature will rise quickly at first and then the heat transfer will taper off.

Bring the box inside, and sit it on the counter, wait for an hour or so while you get comfortable, then pop that battery in the charger, and savor your new camera. The hardest part will be waiting the up to 180 minutes for the battery to charge up!
01-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks all!

01-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
krs
Site Supporter

I just received my K10D today too (have a K100D currently). Interestingly enough, the battery appears to have a significant charge already....
01-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
I just received my K10D today too (have a K100D currently). Interestingly enough, the battery appears to have a significant charge already....
may be it was a "return" from somebody else
01-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
Thanks all!
Let us know how it goes!
01-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
may be it was a "return" from somebody else
That's just mean, don't make him worry. Manufacturers typically ship batteries in a state of charge since they will often be on the shelf for some time. Lithium batteries have very low self discharge, so will keep thier charge for a very long time if not connected to a load. If shipped "discharged" however, they could become damaged if allowed to self-discharge over a long period of time.

When I got my k10d I would estimate that the battery had a greater than 50% charge on it, and it clearly was not a return.
01-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The SureFire flashlight I have uses Lithium Ion batteries and SureFire claims that the batteries (that are not rechargeable by the way) have a shelf life of 12 years.
01-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The SureFire flashlight I have uses Lithium Ion batteries and SureFire claims that the batteries (that are not rechargeable by the way) have a shelf life of 12 years.
Those are lithium primary batteries. Lithium-ion secondary batteries (i.e., rechargables) don't have quite so low of a self-discharge rate.
01-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

So have you opened the box yet?