Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Todpod Quote
I guess part of my issue is that i always seem to be buying outdated equipment.
Just like anything else, the early adopters pay dearly. If you want the newest then you pay, if don't want to pay then go for the deals. k-x and k-r are both excellent cameras, and that does not change just because they are dated. A year ago the k-r was state of the art, now it is discontinued. But it is still the same camera, only a lot cheaper. Once stock drys up of k-r's the replacement will show up, maybe this fall. But not at anything like current prices.

05-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Im with the others. My gf bought a Kx from a forum member and it really is a lot of camera for around 300 bucks. Then you could spend 500 on a limited lens.
05-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Eberbachl Quote
Get a K-r and be happy.

This.

In spite of many who state otherwise, I think the K-r upgrades/differences from the K-x are worth the extra money.
05-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #19

Original Poster
Still very undecided, dragging my wife into the discussion, since its her money too. I am going to lay the options out to her and see what she thinks. Going to the big city on Sunday and best buy says they have the d3200 in stock, so I want to check that out. The local Walmart has a d3100 and T3, I wish they were a little bigger but I can live with that.

My "low end" option would be a used K-X for about $370 and use what I have for lenses, My high end would be the d3200 with the kit lens and adding a 70-300mm for about $850. I wish the kit lens had macro capability. The Canon option would all include used lenses and be in the middle price range. Walmart has the colorful K-R in stock for $599 so thats an option I will explore as well.

I don't think I will go wrong with anyone of the options, just trying to figure out the best one.

05-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #20

Original Poster
I am thinking I am going to go with a used K-X or K-20d, and then when the replacement for the K-r comes out get that kit. I would like to add a macro lens, a manuel focus 135mm telefoto. Hopefully order in the couple of days.