Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #1

Need to replace my *istdl

How soon should the K-R will be replaced. I have been following the rumor threads closely Camping season is upon us, my *isdtdl died last year and I need a replacement. My options are waiting for the replacement or switching to Canon (t2i) or Nikon (d3200). I don't have a ton invested in lenses but I like my Pentax stuff. I don't want to miss out on photography season either waiting. I am not keen on buying used, a used K-5 would be a tough sell to the wife and a new one is out of reach. Anyone that advertises new K-Rs are just overprice for what u get.

I have a
Pentax 35-105mm macro zoom, I really like this lens
70-300mm Tamaron Macro zoom, this is a decent lens esp for the $$
50mm f2.0 Manuel A lens

I also have a ZX-L film camera that I am trying to sell to a friend. Previous had a ZX-M and briefly a MZ-60

I would have to replace these lenses with whatever I switch too. I have about a fairly firm $800 budget and I can do it with Canon T2i, but is really hard with the Nikon because the lenses need a focusing motor.

I am open to listing to ideas and suggestions, Thanks for listening, Todd

04-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What about a used, low shutter count K-x or K-r? There are still new K-r's around, but I haven't checked what they are going for these days. Or if you want new, right now, what about a K-01? Nearly a K-5's IQ, but the lack of OVF might be a turnoff.
04-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There's a $299 deal on the K-r at Fry's Electronics right now if you want to save some money

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Get a few K-x bodies for that money.

04-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
I don't have a Fry's anywhere close, I did some checking to see what i could find. KEH has a LN K-R for $465 and a K-X for $415. New K-Rs seem to be running in the $650 with the kit lens, which is out of the ballpark in the bang for your buck calculations.

I really thought about the K-01 but I have pretty much rules that out because of the lack of an OVF. I like to take bird pictures and that just doesn't seem like that would work real well for that.

I have always wanted a manually focusing 135mm telephoto and you can find them reasonable for the Pentax and a macro lens too. I love the idea of the old lenses for Pentax.

I picked up a T3 at walmart and that sucker is small, I am assuming the T2i is similar in size, which isn't a good thing necessarily good thing. I do realize megapixels aren't the end all be all, but there is a significant
difference here. Newegg has a Refurb K2000 for $349 I would really consider that but its only 10.2 megapixels. I hope to have this camera for 5 years or so.
04-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Todpod Quote
How soon should the K-R will be replaced.
Honestly, only Pentax knows and maybe even they don't. But I think everyone would be surprised to see it happen before fall at this point.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There's a $299 deal on the K-r at Fry's Electronics right now if you want to save some money
And that's a deal. You certainly will not find the k-r's replacement at anything like that price for years, (until it is due for replacement)
04-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #7

Get a K-r and be happy.

04-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Todpod Quote
I would have to replace these lenses with whatever I switch too. I have about a fairly firm $800 budget and I can do it with Canon T2i, but is really hard with the Nikon because the lenses need a focusing motor.
For $800 you could easily get used mint condition, low shutter count K-5.
04-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In your shoes, I would not think about K-r replacement as it takes some time to hit the shelves, and will take all your budget. With a used older model you can have a (well tested, available) body and a good lens, of your choice.
04-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #10

Original Poster
If i am going used, which I am not sold on, probably be a K-X, seems more bang for the buck as compared to the K-r Almost $100 cheaper at KEH. K-5 $850 at KEH and $899 @ Adorama/
04-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely take a look at the Marketplace right here on this forum for used cameras. The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com
04-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for the help so far i need to go to bed, i had a kidney stone removed today (boy that was fun) . I will be dreaming about your ideas here so keep them coming I will be back early am.
04-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My vote is for a used K-x. It's a fantastic camera & a used body can be had for around $300.
04-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
Closed Account

I have another approach. Get a K10D (cheapest) or K20D, use it, get used to it, and get a better one when you meet better days and have a better idea of what is around and what is coming. Those cameras will give you a good background to upgrade later and you can still use those lenses - and they will be great as a spare camera. Switching to Canon or Nikon doesn't seem to be your destination because of your lenses.
My 2 cents.
05-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #15

Original Poster
I guess part of my issue is that i always seem to be buying outdated equipment. This would be my chance to buy something a little more modern and allow mr to work on ypgraging the lenses in a couple if rears. If I get a K=X, I will be thinking of replacing that in a couple of years. My old camera was like that, Pentax had just came out with the k-100 and they were selling mine cheap, like less then $400