Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2006, 01:54 PM   #1

Manual White Balance

I was wondering if the note cards 4x6/5x7(or whatever size they are) could be used for setting up MWB? Has anybody ever tried this? I just called like 3 local shops looking for the white/grey cards and no luck.

Or if you guys have any thing else you can use besides a "white wall" or whatever. Please post up.

Thanks J.

12-28-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anything white or gray without a color cast and fills the frame should work.
12-28-2006, 06:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Flaco,

It's a good trick used by a few people I know. I've used the backs of cue/recipe cards (I think that is what they are called) with my camcorder and with a Nikon D50 and a Fuji S3 with good results. Set your camera to manual focus, get a semi decent amount of light and make sure your thumb is out of the frame.

Only problem I got is when I switch to using the flash. The flash sends out a different type of light and can totally throw off your custom WB.

Haven't tried this with my K100 though - LOL. I should be it trying again!
12-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I read of people saying to go to home depot and use their STUDIO SILVER sample cards to get MWB. I tried it a few times and it seems to help. If you still have your white k100d body cap, you can use that I guess.

12-29-2006, 03:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
I just tried it with a with gift box... And man does it make a big difference. I'm going to try a index card and see what kind of results that gives me.
12-31-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you seen the "expodisc"? click here
01-01-2007, 12:56 AM   #7

I had seen a guy use a styrofoam cup once. He claimed it worked fine for him with better results than leaving the camera in auto. But I prefer the Expodisc. I bought the largest they had (77 mm, I think) and just hold it over my smaller lenses.
01-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Have you seen the "expodisc"? click here
Thanks for the link, Arpe. Just ordered the expodisc cap. Looks like they don't have a 52mm version of the regular product.

It's not as cheap as a neutral color card, but it might be easier to carry around everywhere and they claim that it will give better results.

Will

01-02-2007, 12:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Always happy to help a fellow southerner
01-02-2007, 01:54 AM   #10
Forum Member

i love using mwb.... but i too tend to find myself looking for osmething white... i usualy use a ceiling or a piece of paper.... but that gift box thing sounds like a good idea.... might find a piece to carry around with me
01-02-2007, 02:42 AM   #11
roy
Inactive Account

i've got a kodak wht/gray 4x5 card it my kit.. works great. just set the cam to meter it in spot mode.
01-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by INcreative Quote
i love using mwb.... but i too tend to find myself looking for osmething white... i usualy use a ceiling or a piece of paper.... but that gift box thing sounds like a good idea.... might find a piece to carry around with me
Yes sir, works like a charm. I just have to cut out a piece to carry around with me too. I was amazed how much of an improvement it is. I have to use tugsten in my garage, but with the MWB, it's so much brighter and clear. I still have to post my sample shots, or take some before after shots.