Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

"You can get a 15 minute charger for them"

somewhat higher than the old 10% standard.. 2500ma would be 250ma over night..

15 minutes would be errr.. a battery destroying ten amps.. as a quick emergency charge yes.. for anything else a definte no no..

no wonder some of these AAs aint lasting very long.. he he

trog

01-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks for the info on the. I looked closely at the box and noticed the finish there too. Just making sure I have a good one.

I took about 30 pictures with the included batteries and updated the firmware before that finished them off. I will give my 2500Mah Sanyo batteries a try tonight and I am going to get the eneloop to keep in the bag so I always have batteries. When I was buying I thought the ability to run of AA's was a good thing but now I am not so sure - the Sony A100 gets great life from it's lithium battery. But as I have only spent $500 I am not grumbling about the power, the pictures and speed of this camera are great so far. Now I have to teach the wife how to use it.
01-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote

Also, I've had problems with at least one set of Energizer niMH 2500's, and I've heard this is common. One of the cells has a short so it rapidly looses the charge. To get around the problem use the batteries right away - from the charger.
I use the Energizer 2500mAh cells. I used them previously with my Panasonic DMC-LZ2, and now with my K100D. They do leak charge very badly (if you haven't touched them in a month, they're dead), but like you say, just keep some in a charger and you're fine. One set of four powered my K100D through probably about 100 shots over 4 days and didn't show any significant drain (and 2 of them kept the Panny running just fine for the better part of a week @ Disney World a few months back). They may not be the best, but they seem to be ok for what they are. If I were going on vacation, I'd take 2 sets of 4, a charger, and maybe 4 lithium AAs as a backup.

Maybe I'd have been better off buying AA lithiums in bulk than investing in NiMH cells and a charger, but you pays your money and you takes your choice.
01-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

having used rechargeable AAs for years its just a matter of habit to recharge them very so often.. and to always cary a fully charged spare set or two.. they are cheap and there is no real reason not to have a few spare sets..

they are not much good for just leaving in occasionally used things and expecting them to work whenever the divice is picked up..

they do not have to be fully flattend before putting on charge.. just get used to doing it and they work well..

trog

01-02-2007, 03:05 PM   #20

Original Poster
Post purchase

I just read a blog comparing the Canon IS S3 and the K100d and DSlrs in general. Has anyone had any experience with the Canon IS S2 or S3. I didn't consider this camera before purchasing the 100d as I really wanted the control of the Dslr. But that being said it is unlikely that I will have any other lens besides the 18-55 kit lens for sometime. If i use the 100d with the kit lens how do you think that would compare to using an all in one such as the S3 which does have some nice features. I am definitely a beginner/novice with photography in general and my I will be mostly shooting family/indoor/vacation photos. certainly no wildlife. So I guess my question is would the S3 be better for shots of kids inside the home, or should i stick with the 100D and (over time) learn how to take better pictures.
01-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yourefree Quote
I just read a blog comparing the Canon IS S3 and the K100d and DSlrs in general. Has anyone had any experience with the Canon IS S2 or S3.
What blog, pray tell? I've had a lot of experience with the S3 IS (and the S2, and the S1). I've written about this topic myself, here, here and here. Will be adding an article soon.

QuoteQuote:
I didn't consider this camera before purchasing the 100d as I really wanted the control of the Dslr.
At least in terms of in-camera control, the S3 IS gives you control over MORE things than the K100D, not less. The digital SLR shines in a handful of really important areas. But the high-end compacts now have full manual mode with as many or more controls than you'll get in a low-end digital SLR like the K100D.

QuoteQuote:
But that being said it is unlikely that I will have any other lens besides the 18-55 kit lens for sometime. If i use the 100d with the kit lens how do you think that would compare to using an all in one such as the S3 which does have some nice features. I am definitely a beginner/novice with photography in general and my I will be mostly shooting family/indoor/vacation photos. certainly no wildlife. So I guess my question is would the S3 be better for shots of kids inside the home, or should i stick with the 100D and (over time) learn how to take better pictures.
I can say without much hesitation that, simply in terms of image capture capability, the K100D will do somewhat better than the Canon S3 IS in low-light conditions indoors. But that advantage of the K100D (or any digital SLR) kicks in mainly in difficult conditions. In good light, or with a flash, and with cooperative subjects, results from a good compact camera like the S3 will be VERY competitive with what you get from a digital SLR.

You might find my blog articles informative, if not reassuring. I sold my S3 in order to get the K100D and I'm very happy with that decision. But it has been an expensive decision and it would be false to say that the K100D on its own takes better pictures. The S3 is not a toy - it's a really good camera and much more versatile than the K100D, especially if you simply compare what you can get for, say, under $700. But the K100D gives me more room to grow, and that matters to me.

Will
01-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I will handily second Will's assesment of Canon's S3IS vs. the Pentax K100D. These compact (in some cases), megazoom, all-in-ones (including Panny FZ7/FZ30, Sony H2/H5 and R1, and FujiFilm S6000 and 9100) have come a long long way and I was faced with the same tough choices you have now.

As did Will, I went with a DSLR for similar reasons. I knew that with time, as my abilities and, more importantly, interest in this hobby continue to grow, I would want the camera system to grow with me. I went Pentax for many more reasons.

Ultimately, whatever camera you decide on, be happy with it because you are involved in what you wanted to do. Photography is a great hobby. I look forward to seeing some pictures from you, even though I've yet to post some of my own from my K100.

Cheers!

01-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The one thing I felt I had limited 'control' over with my FZ20 was DOF.. Of course there were a number of others but it was one of the reasons I moved to DSLR.

For many people though the prosumer is enough, and to be honest in many ways it is more convieniant.. Only you can say which is right for you though...
01-02-2007, 08:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

its only a one way control over dof thow isnt it.. i find the dslr excessively shallow dof to be both good and bad.. the other factor is the dymanic range isnt so good then we have the classic panasonic noise.. slightly offset by its nice F2.8 lens but not enough.. mine stays locked at iso 100..

thinking about it the fz20s F2.8 lens relies on the deeper dof to be of much use as a general purpose zoom lens..

but it is damn convenient.. back to the classic trade off..

trog
01-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #25

I'd go for the rechargable CR V3's. That's what I had for my DS. They'll allow your focusing motor to move a bit faster giving you slightly faster autofocus. I read from a Pentax interview that the K10D AF motor is actually the same as the K100D, with the exception of having a more powerful power source.

Anyways, if you do go with rechargable CRV3, get ones with voltage safety features. I belive the Delkin's are well respected in terms of safety for your camera body.
01-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #26

Original Poster
WMBP. It was your blog that i had read! I didnt realize. I have decided to play around with the K100D and see if it works for our needs, the portability is going to be the one thing to get used to, we will no doubt carry our P&S around with us. I did walk to work with the camera around my neck and took a few pictures. I am playing around with the Av setting to get the DOF I would like -to me this is the biggest advantage to the Dslr. I am impressed with the quality of pictures so far which again is the main thing we buy a camera for. Photoshop elements will arrive today, i have photoshop7 but do find the learning curve to be too steep for everyday quick fixes etc.

are there any adaptors out there that would allow a slr canon rebel lens made by sigma to be used on the K100d? If not I wil be selling that kit on ebay.
01-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yourefree Quote
WMBP. It was your blog that i had read! I didnt realize.
Well, I'm glad you found it and flattered that you bothered to read it. Glad to know someone reads the blog besides my mother. :-)

The first (oldest) post in particular was rather long-winded. I do hope you read the second and third (more recent) posts, written after I'd actually spent some time with my Pentax K100D. The latter posts are more positive about the digital SLR. In my first post, while I don't think I got my facts wrong, I was definitely making the case for the Canon S3, as I had to that point been able to resist the temptation to go for the digital SLR. But the temptation was still there or I would not have bothered to write the article; and obviously, in the end, the temptation was stronger than my resistance.

It might seem that the best thing would be to own BOTH cameras - a digital SLR and a compact superzoom like the S3 or the Panasonic FZ70. For me personally, anyway, the problem is that it would just be too much trouble to have to deal with two cameras that are so similar and at the same time so different. My goal is to get so comfortable with the K100D that I don't have to THINK as hard as I'm thinking now. I look at the subject, and my fingers and hands just push the right buttons very quickly. Not sure I could ever develop that easy habit if I were handling two cameras that were both similar and different. I want f/11 to mean something to me. But what it means on the S3 is VERY different from what it means on the K100D, and that too confuses me. So, I'm going to live without the very real advantages of the S3 because the advantages of the digital SLR are now more important to me. It's a personal choice.

Will
01-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Well, I'm glad you found it and flattered that you bothered to read it. Glad to know someone reads the blog besides my mother. :-)
Will, I'll flatter you a bit more. I found your blog very informative and you really helped me in the decision-making process. I was also going back and forth between the S3 IS and the K100d - I should receive the K100d next week sometime.
01-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

i think there is an elitist thing at work here that dosnt help photographic learners.. of which i am one..

to be a "real" photographer if u have all the manual adjustments u must use them.. useing the auto mode is what soccer moms do..

if u can shoot raw u should do.. if u dont your taste and expectations are low.. just like the soccer moms..

taking nice pictures is difficult and trying to make it easy is back in soccer moms land..

any attempt to make it seem easy or decypher the jargon is pounced upon with great glee by the "experts" who never want it to be "easy" else they would lose there "special" status..

my apologies to all "soccer moms" out there who read this.. u are the salt of the earth really..

and please take my post with a pinch of the same stuff.. salt.. even if it does contain a certain element truth.. he he

most of the time if left to its own devices my camera does a grand job.. in fact if it didnt i would get rid of it very quickly indeed and get one that did..

not something much used as a selling point thow is it.. not to us "enthusiastic amateurs"..

its very important to me thow.. capturing the moment is hard if u have to spend ten minutes working out how to make all those adjustments on your camera.. he he.. and pretty silly when its been designed so as u "mostly" dont have to..

learn what will make a good picture.. put camera in P mode.. flash on manual.. white balance on auto.. iso auto to 800 auto.. when the camera fails as it will in certain situations.. make the odd adjustment.. its easy if u let it be..

trog
01-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brian Wahl Quote
I found your blog very informative and you really helped me in the decision-making process. I was also going back and forth between the S3 IS and the K100d - I should receive the K100d next week sometime.
Thanks, Brian. Looks like we're all in the soup together now! :-)

Will