Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #1

Pentax and Durability

I have two Pentax DSLR's, a K10 and an *ist. I'm about to upgrade with a third. It is amazing that both of my cameras have functioned without any problems given the hard use they get. I take photographs while on horseback. I take pictures in high winds and storms, in railroad yards (trains being my main target), and in old dark musty abandoned buildings. The cameras get banged around a lot. They are exposed to a lot of dirt, wind, and indelicate treatment. My K10 has survived three hard drops. The K10 looks rough cosmetically, but still keeps chugging along.

I have taken over 100k photographs with these two cameras. My often used 1.4 50 mm lens unwound itself twice in the field (I was able to put it back together) but the cameras keep working.

I was wondering if any of you have had similar experiences with your Pentax cameras?

Last edited by bearestir; 05-04-2012 at 08:05 AM.
05-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have a k200 with an 18-250 lens that has been on kayaks, splashed with water, used in the rain (i thought the lens was weather resistant and only recently found out it wasn't)...been on the beach, etc...the whole system is a workhorse...i have since let my sophmore in college use it and expect it will still come back in the same condition as it left...i can only hope the k5 and the other lens i have have the same lifespan...i have already noticed that the shutter button on 1 of my k5s is not always activating so it looks like this one won't be there for the long haul
05-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
i have a k200 with... <abuse>
I love my K200, but I haven't really had it go through too much yet. It has gone canoeing/kayaking, but didn't get a drop splashed on it. I did just a few days ago pick it up, to have the strap catch on something, rip the thing out of my hand, swing around and hit something. Unfortunately, my AF on/off switch now no longer works. Fortunately, it's stuck in AF. Generally ok, but there are some moments where I want to snap the shot when I just can't get AF confirm.

Other than that though, in spite of the fact that it hasn't gone through a lot of abuse and did just break something on it, it has that quality build feel, and I just don't worry too much about it.
05-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
offtopic@bearestir your camera/lens needs cleaning. You can see spots on the sky. Great pic though. There's a thread here, "indestructible" should get you results.

05-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
No Pentax camera failed for me yet.