Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Help. Taking picture but not on card.

I wanted tot ake some supermoon pictures so was taking pics as it was rising. Tried some different settings since I am still learning the camera. it is a K-r and i was using the 55-300 lens. i took alot of pics and they play back right away on the LCD screen, but there is nothing on my card but an empty folder for today. All of my pictures from other days are readily viewable but nothing I take tonight on any setting is showing on the card. Could I have messed up a setting somewhere? Help! Need easy to understand advice.

Kathy

05-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am sorry for the trouble, but it sounds like a card issue.

First try to exit and insert again the card. (It works once for me.) Maybe the card was not inserted properly.

Second try with a new card, preferably from the reputed brand (eg Sandisk).

Lastly, if the issue is the card, do throw away the card and get a new one. Nothing worst than a unreliable card.

Personally I use two Sandisk Extreme III class 10 (30 Mb/s) and a Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC.

Hope that the comments will help....

Last edited by hcc; 05-05-2012 at 10:59 PM.
05-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It might be a card writing problem, try re-formatting the card it can sometimes fix card errors.
Glenn
05-06-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reformat card in camera rather than in computer. Check that the lock tab on card is not activated.

05-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
STOP - Don't format the card! I don't have an answer as to why this happened, but try to recover the photos before you format or throw the card away. Did you try to download pictures onto your computer? If they don’t show on the computer, try a couple photo-recovery programs. If you format the card before using recovery software the chances of full recovery will be slim. Have you changed batteries or charger? Only purchase cards from a reputable company. Don't buy cards from fleebay, there are so many cheap knockoff junk, never know if you purchased a quality card or a fake. Remember some people will place ‘name brand’ labels onto a cheap product and no one will be the wiser.
Good Luck & Keep us updated
05-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree. Don't format that card, just yet. Try using another card first.

The preview image that appears on the LCD immediately after taking the picture is being displayed from the camera's internal memory buffer, not what is written on the card.

Are you trying to review the images in the camera or on your PC? Try to review them in the camera first. If they can be seen and reviewed in the camera, then they have been successfully written to the card, and the problem may lie with your PC.

If you're reviewing them on your PC, how are you doing it? What software are you using? You may have accidentally switched to RAW mode. If that's the case, your PC may not recognize the file type, either PEF or DNG. Try using Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer. Why MS changed the name from File Manager to Windows Explorer is beyond me!) to examine the contents of the card. Explorer will display a file list, no matter what the file type is.
05-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I did dig a 4g card out of a pocket camera and it worked both on the camera and in the PC. I had tried reviewing photos on my camera and in the PC with my 16g card and nothing that i shot on that day was there. Old pictures opened fine.i didn't change any setting on the camera and the other card worked fine.

I got frustrated and reformatted the card after saving the old pictures off of it. It now works. I just didn't know how to recover pics at the time so..... I appreciate your instructions so I will know better what to do should this happen again with family pics are something really important.

Incidentally, my moon pics that I took later ( after the moon was high in the sky) are terrible. My friend took a great picture with a pocket camera...craters visable and all..and mine are just big bright globs in the sky. Oh well, just shows i need to learn alot more.I have mostly been taking indoor pictures in auditoriums of my daughters dance and musical theatre programs. They are not perfect but way better than any point and shoot I ever had.

Thanks,

KAthy

05-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Kathy, it's possible that you had the exposure all wrong and all you got was a black image.

Tuggie76
05-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #9

Original Poster
Well, the image played back on the camera memory. Also the card read, "Folder empty" on the computer which it wouldn't do if anything, good or bad, was there. But...to be sure, I also tried indoor pics on auto.....nothing. I think the card was just messed up for whatever reason.

Oh I can take some messed up pics. usually over exposure is more likely for me but...the pics still show up even if the picture is totally blakc or totally white.

Thanks,

KAthy
05-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kc4braves Quote
Well, the image played back on the camera memory. Also the card read, "Folder empty" on the computer which it wouldn't do if anything, good or bad, was there. But...to be sure, I also tried indoor pics on auto.....nothing. I think the card was just messed up for whatever reason.

Oh I can take some messed up pics. usually over exposure is more likely for me but...the pics still show up even if the picture is totally blakc or totally white.

Thanks,

KAthy

Again, what software on the PC is telling you "Folder Empty"? Are the images jpegs, or RAW files? If they're RAW, are they DNG or PEF?

The software you are using is important because some photo-specific software may not recognize PEF or DNG files. Windows Explorer would at least see them, but might not know what to do with them.

When you display them on the camera, it should show the file type.

If all else fails, try using the USB cable to copy the images to the PC. Normally, most of us here recommend using a card reader in your PC, but if the camera can read the card, but the PC can't, you may be able to recover them using the USB cable. If that works, copy the images to the PC and then reformat the card in the camera, not the PC.