Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2012, 08:46 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Brooke Meyer

Oh My, Nikon and Canon ......

Its hard to spend any time on this Forum without hearing about how many problems Pentax cameras have . So if you just have to have the latest Full Frame and $$$ offerings from Nikon and Canon, D4, D800 and 5DMKIIi, caveat emptor . Don't read the comments after the articles without fireproof clothing. Canon user forced to go Nikon! Nikon users forced to go Canon! Poor QC! Green LCDs! Exploding D800's! Frozen cameras at Weddings, potential customer lawsuits! Battery recalls! Light leaks!

I didn't read dogs laying with cats but it's probably there.

Nikon tells PDN it is looking for a fix for D800 and D4 lock-up bug
Nikon has confirmed to PDN that it is investigating a problem that can cause the D800 and D4 to lock-up while shooting. The company says that the issue - identified while PDN was reviewing the camera - can be avoided by disabling Highlights and RGB Histogram on the display. At present the lock-ups require the battery to be removed to restart the camera but PDN thinks it likely that Nikon will be able to come up with a permanent fix.

LensRental's Roger Cicala examines Canon EOS 5D Mark III light leak 'cover-up'
The 'light-leak' issue for the 5D III involved light from the camera's top-plate LCD illuminator reaching the metering sensor and skewing the results. The metering errors caused by this stray light only came when trying to photograph extremely low-light scenes (a situation in which it's unusual to use the camera's metering).

Last edited by Adam; 05-14-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Restored
05-05-2012, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, the grass always looks greener on other side of the fence, but to be honest it often because is artificial grass/astro turf.
05-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Terrible, isn't it.

I'm waiting for someone to start claiming that light photons have been affected by global warming and that is the reason all these cameras have problems.

Thanks for the links. I enjoyed reading the articles.
05-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Yup, the grass always looks greener on other side of the fence, but to be honest it often because is artificial grass/astro turf.
Or as Erma Bombeck wrote "The Grass Is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank".

05-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Or they spilt a can of green paint on it.
05-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #6

Bugs are bound to surface especially with Cameras/technology getting more complex every passing day. As long as companies own up and try rectifying the problem, there shouldn't be much of an issue.

I remember when I had acquired the D7000, I used to sulk at the fact that Nikon didnt allow us to use third party batteries. When I got the K-r I was absolutely stunned to learn that Pentax wasnt doing anything to fix the front focusing problem, something which is of far bigger consequence than not allowing third party battery usage. And much as I absolutely adore my SMCPs, I'll admit that some of the Pentax glass is presently preposterously expensive. Compared to that Canon glass looks like a steal !
05-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Pentax has released 2 times a firmware fix for the front focusing.
For some it does show improvement but it still isnt perfect but they did something at least

05-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Pentax has released 2 times a firmware fix for the front focusing.
For some it does show improvement but it still isnt perfect but they did something at least
Not for the K-r as far as I know. Possible workaround is the use of tungsten WB; I don't know if it solves the issue.
05-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #9

Yup. I am not aware of the fixes either. Pentax never mentioned this in any of the "fix description" far as I recall. I am on v1.12 and it still front focuses !!
05-06-2012, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Too funny, as soon as you point out there are issues with other cameras, the conversation turns right back to what's wrong with Pentaxes, I guess the thought that there might be problems with a Canon or Nikon is just too upsetting for many forum members. They use Pentaxes, but in their heart of hearts, they think they can solve all their photographic issues by switching to Nikon or Canon. There must be a certain amount of psychological comfort in such ideas, they are so widely held.

Not to diminish the value of the conversations with those who have pushed their Pentaxes to the limits of their capabilities, and then moved on, it could happen to anyone, with any system.

syd... you should probably give the details of your front focussing problem in a thread on the topic. I'd respond, but I don't have a K-r, I don't have a front focusing problem with any of my 3 Pentax DSLRs (K-x, K20D, K-5). You'll notice I deliberately avoided the K-r, just read through the forum, I won't say it's a problem camera but just from a gut feeling, I don't think there is as high a level of satisfaction with that body as there is with other bodies. That being said, by posting to a thread for K-r users maybe you can get some attention from people dealing with the same issues you are, instead of hijacking a thread on a different topic.
05-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Too funny, as soon as you point out there are issues with other cameras, the conversation turns right back to what's wrong with Pentaxes, I guess the thought that there might be problems with a Canon or Nikon is just too upsetting for many forum members.
... or maybe it's because a post about Canon & Nikon issues was made in a "Pentax DSLR Discussion" subforum, where people are supposed to discuss Pentax DSLRs. There's a "Non-Pentax Cameras" subforum for these kinds of discussions.
05-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
syd... you should probably give the details of your front focussing problem in a thread on the topic. I'd respond, but I don't have a K-r, I don't have a front focusing problem with any of my 3 Pentax DSLRs (K-x, K20D, K-5). You'll notice I deliberately avoided the K-r, just read through the forum, I won't say it's a problem camera but just from a gut feeling, I don't think there is as high a level of satisfaction with that body as there is with other bodies. That being said, by posting to a thread for K-r users maybe you can get some attention from people dealing with the same issues you are, instead of hijacking a thread on a different topic.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have no intention of hijacking this thread or any other for that matter. I cited the example of 'front focusing' in my 1st comment just to show that its one thing to have bugs (which any system can have) and quite another to own them up publicly and do something to rectify them. 'Front focusing' is the kinda threat that can potentially ruin a session and a risk which no one wants to live with. I think this was a problem that required far more attention from Pentax than it actually got.

I do think that for people who "in their heart of hearts, they think they can solve all their photographic issues by switching to Nikon or Canon.", shifting shouldnt be a big problem if they are willing to stand a 20% shave in their investment. I doubt that there are too many such people around.
05-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
... or maybe it's because a post about Canon & Nikon issues was made in a "Pentax DSLR Discussion" subforum, where people are supposed to discuss Pentax DSLRs. There's a "Non-Pentax Cameras" subforum for these kinds of discussions.
Oh, ya that has to be the reason... why didn't I think of that? I guess every article posting articles critical of Nikon or Canon that suffered the same fate, like every one ever posted , was also in the wrong forum... and being posted in the wrong forum gives people the right to start posting all their Pentax problems.

luftus my boy, do you even think before you post? or are you just really deficient in critical thinking skills/... please, take a run at someone stupid, you'll be more successful. You might want to consider that before you single me out for your disrespectful derisive commentary. That was beneath contempt. If you don't like the point I'm making, too bad. Maybe it's because you're part of the problem.
05-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I do think that for people who "in their heart of hearts, they think they can solve all their photographic issues by switching to Nikon or Canon.", shifting shouldnt be a big problem if they are willing to stand a 20% shave in their investment. I doubt that there are too many such people around.
Some people have money to waste. I do agree though that it's hard to switch. Myself, I've always maintained it's easier to use what you have and know than to try and learn something new. A camera system would have to seriously crimp my style before I'd dump it. My foray into 645s was a lesson in that. I discovered with my shooting style, there are only one or two times a year when a 645 helped me.. like once I got a shoot for a book cover (from a company with "standards".) That's why I don't get into recommending anyone change systems. People tend to ignore the positive features, that they like in a system, and take them for granted. I personally wouldn't want to be responsible for convincing someone to change systems, and having them come back and say "well I like this feature and this but I really miss this feature, so I'm switching back", or worse, they can't afford to switch back. You have to know someone really well to make an informed recommendation. Good luck with your issue. The first thing you need to do is determine if this is a problem with just your camera or common to all K-r's, or if it's a specific lens it front focuses with or all lenses. many have reported FF issues with some lenses but not others. There's a whole list of issues that have to be looked at. The more clearly you lay out the problem, the more likely someone has a solution or a workaround.

Last edited by normhead; 05-06-2012 at 08:47 AM.
05-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

People not only think the grass is greener on the other side(s). They also think it was greener in the past.

Fact remains, all these wonderful cameras are manmade machines, made with earthly materials. Every brand will have it's own issues.