Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #76
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I started a thread a week or so back suggesting that a system camera something akin to the Rollei 2000 would be a good form factor that wasn't "me too". This addresses the question of where to put the LCD, too (on the top, possibly as a replacement for the removable pentaprism, or possibly turning it into a full-time waist-level finder camera). Interchangeable backs would allow APS-C or 35FF sensors, as required. The idea doesn't seem to have caught on.
I think it could, just not with the current Pentax customers..lol!
but digital cameras do not need to look like retro slr's to sell....
this is what the k-01 could have been, with a kmount..

First Look: Blackmagic Cinema Camera | HDVideoPro.com
lookin forward.... the first pro Pentax camera that appeals to both still and video shooters is gonna be the one that brings new buyers to the brand...

06-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote

lookin forward.... the first pro Pentax camera that appeals to both still and video shooters is gonna be the one that brings new buyers to the brand...
There's some pretty smart thinking in there, I have to agree (and not just because it's an Australian company). What a pity about the Canon mount, though I guess they had to get Carl Zeiss into the act somehow. The greater pity of course, is that CZ stopped making the K-mount versions of its lenses, or a K-mount version of the Blackmagic might have been even more attractive to buyers with many more K-mount lenses out there, maybe at lower prices than the Canon equivalents.
06-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
its not that they need to look like retro SLR's. My main reason for saying a FF Pentax should look retro would be because you could get that group of customers... because lets face it, pros' are going to stick with nikon and canon. What they need to do is target the people with too much money (like me). And why would someone with too much money buy into Pentax if it didn't offer something unique compared to the D800/5D's?

Well you make it mirrorless and more vintage looking. Hell even it was mirrorless and looked similar that wouldn't even be too bad.

The egronomics of a camcorder style wouldn't be a bad idea...but its too different that it's a bigger risk. I know I would be hesitant about it even if they did go that route.

The thing about them looking "retro" is that you can still have something that looks different than the miles of black DSLR shaped camera's out there, and still keep some egronomics in it's design. My problem with the K01 isn't it's look (Because I think it looks kinda neat in anything but yellow), its the fact that it has not view finder AND even bigger than that... its not comfortable for me to use.

The 645D frame would even be better as its comfortable to hold in my opinion. Even if they did a FF thats similar in shape/form to the 645D I would be happy, mirrorless or mirrored, as long as it had a EVF or OVF.
06-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote

That is pretty cool. But it's a $3k camera. I wonder how fast the auto-focus is on that thing.
Still, happy to see 4K video coming down in price. In a few years it may hit cameras under $1k.

06-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There's some pretty smart thinking in there, I have to agree (and not just because it's an Australian company). What a pity about the Canon mount, though I guess they had to get Carl Zeiss into the act somehow. The greater pity of course, is that CZ stopped making the K-mount versions of its lenses, or a K-mount version of the Blackmagic might have been even more attractive to buyers with many more K-mount lenses out there, maybe at lower prices than the Canon equivalents.
There are already PK-EOS adapters, so you could use Pentax lenses with that camera. However, not with AF and not with auto-aperture.
Is there is any technical reason why an adapter that preserves AF and auto-aperture accross Pentax/Canon cannot be produced ?
06-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
There are already PK-EOS adapters, so you could use Pentax lenses with that camera. However, not with AF and not with auto-aperture.
Is there is any technical reason why an adapter that preserves AF and auto-aperture accross Pentax/Canon cannot be produced ?

I'm going to guess programing language?

On that topic though.... how are these said adapters for IQ? This could change my idea of putting money down on a D800 tomorrow
06-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I'm going to guess programing language?

On that topic though.... how are these said adapters for IQ? This could change my idea of putting money down on a D800 tomorrow
The PK->EOS adapters have no optics, so I don't think they affect the IQ at all. Not sure about PK->Nikon.

I am not using one right now. I bought one a month ago and returned it as I only had auto-aperture lenses, and found out that the adapter doesn't open the perture at all - I could only shoot at the lowest aperture with the adapter Only lenses with aperture rings will work with those adapters. That means no DA lenses. It excludes most APS-C Pentax lenses basically.

If you are going for a D800 presumably you would use full-frame lenses which would have an aperture ring.

06-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
The PK->EOS adapters have no optics, so I don't think they affect the IQ at all. Not sure about PK->Nikon.

I am not using one right now. I bought one a month ago and returned it as I only had auto-aperture lenses, and found out that the adapter doesn't open the perture at all - I could only shoot at the lowest aperture with the adapter Only lenses with aperture rings will work with those adapters. That means no DA lenses. It excludes most APS-C Pentax lenses basically.

If you are going for a D800 presumably you would use full-frame lenses which would have an aperture ring.
I have very few aps-c only lenses. I got a fa50 1.4 being tranfered in for me too...so really only two lenses I have are crop.

The adapter would just be a bonus... the Nikon adapter affects IQ apparently as it adds an optic. However the 85mm 1.8g is much cheaper than the EF 85mm 1.2.... admittedly different quality glass though.