Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
There would certainly be enthusiasts who would love and appreciate a stripped down K1000D-like FF camera, but it should not be the only FF Pentax releases (not everyone's cup of tea, particularly as a flagship or professional use camera).
Agree with you completely, you can't have a stripped down version as your flagship.You need all the bells and whistles your competitors have, plus a couple of things they don't have that can be used as "must have" items to justify the choice to the "House Appropriations Committee."

Last edited by normhead; 05-07-2012 at 01:49 PM.
05-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Agree with you completely, you can't have a stripped down version as your flagship.You need all the bells and whistles your competitors have, plus a couple of things they don't have that can be used as "best have" times to justify the choice to the "House Appropriations Committee."
I guess I wasn't thinking of this in terms of being a flagship product. But then again, if Pentax released this camera before a flagship pro-level DSLR, there would be more complaining on these forums than we've ever seen. :-)
05-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

If the K-01 is any indication, Pentax does not want to go back to retro, it wants to go forward. How successful will this be? Dunno, I hope it works out.
However, this way it would stand out compared to all the other regular shapes and the retro style cameras.
05-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

K-5 (modified) with a FF sensor. The solution is staring them in the face.

Maybe I lack imagination

05-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
Banned

Photos: Albums
About the only thing that has not been built already by someone else is a FF MILC with short mount registration distance.
05-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
About the only thing that has not been built already by someone else is a FF MILC with short mount registration distance.

Actually if Pentax just built one of these (and keep the m mount) I'd be happy
05-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
Inactive Account

+1 for the basic throwback K1000 esq camera it is arguably Pentaxs' most well known camera and the people buying it will be the people who learned on one. I too believe there is a tide of feature overload with the photographic market but for this to occur it would have to be *CHEAP*, K-01 cheap and I don't see that happening.
What I do see happening is a FF version of the K5 which will be pitched at us and the enthusiast/pro market. This would need to be class leading for sensor performance and ergonomics (K20 size perhaps). I dont think movies are required and would be great to see processing/AF/sensor not compromised in the slightest for it; but sadly the market demands it.
All speculation on my part-glad I'm not running the company!
Whatever is released will be exciting- a new entry level is the most important thing for Pentax to release right now.

05-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Except the K1000 was an after-thought, dumned too far down, that sold poorly at first. It became a sales success and then a l;egend only after school photography departments adopted it - on a price, not features basis - as their preferred light-tight box.

Far better such a basic FF camera should emulate a KX or KM.

Yep but instead Pentax should just build a new “metal” film camera, based on the KX/KM.
The world doesn’t need another DSLR, if you want retro shoot film.

Phil.
05-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In your course maybe, not in mine. The difference being, my course existed.
OK. Whatever you say.

January Term at Ghost Ranch 2013 Winter Term B&W Photography
Black & White Photography & Time 2012 Short Public Course
JEA Partial List National Pacemaker Awards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sucks gettin' caught, don't it.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-07-2012 at 05:47 PM.
05-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Sucks gettin' caught, don't it.
Caught? ha ha, I know what you told me. So how does your blind siding revelation prove the K-1000 wasn't the best camera for my course?

This is your statement unless you've forgotten...
QuoteQuote:
A KM or KX would be a better teaching choice but the K1000 was selected on price and the best was made of the decision.

The simple fact is, I was a department head, had total control over what was purchased for my school, new course, new building all new equipment, and decided that the K-1000 was the best camera for the course. Going for cameras with more features would have been a waste of money. I , as indicated , was talking about my program. And with regards to my and many other programs, you're wrong. What I'm saying is, a KM or KX wouldn't have been a better choice for me even if they had been available. Neither of the features you mention were necessary to my course. The K-1000 had everything I needed and I would have turned them down if offered. Since my course started in 94 long after the KM and KX were out of production, so by then so not even a choice. I'm glad you got some satisfaction "catching" me. But, no it doesn't suck. Your attitude is seriously irritating though. That's what sucks.

So when you make the above statement, you aren't talking about me, or thousands of other photography teachers, you're talking about your preferences. You might want to predicate your statement that way.
05-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Retro? I don't care bout retro. Well maybe, retro like a Nikon F that was bombproof.

Here is the deal Pentax.

$1200
FF
24 to 28 mp
built in HDR
no video
LV option
Cut all the useless crap and get back to basics
bombproof
WR
small
runs of 4 AA batts or 2 hi cap battery cells.

---------------------------------------------

or no FF and 38 mp small sensor and above
05-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
K-5 (modified) with a FF sensor. The solution is staring them in the face.

Maybe I lack imagination
I agree with your 1st point.

I bought a D800E on Saturday and I am finding it a nightmare to get just 3 decent prime lenses that can do justice to the sensor. As a result of my foray into Nikonland I am struggling to work out how Pentax managed to fall out of the tree. Their lenses, apart from only Nikon's most expensive, are/were clearly superior in my book so they must have been trying really really hard to fail. The idiots in charge of the company should have been fired (not the designers) and I'll bet they're still there too.
05-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Bossa, I saw the 100% crop you posted from the Sigma 50, that looked pretty sharp to me. But yeah, lenses like the FA limiteds are pretty good. Honestly I think I'd be a Nikon FF owner like you if it wasn't for my FA31 and FA77.
05-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
digital version of the K1000,
styled as such Full frame with a low-ish pixel count.
un-crippled K-mount so you can use your old glass with aperture rings with no stop-down metering needed shutter speed controlled by a metal dial on top with markings for the all the shutter speeds metal construction with faux-leather covering

So basically, capitalize on all the retro-mania that people are digging lately with cameras. People are going crazy over the retro style of the Olympus OM-D E-M5. People like the Sony NEX-7 for it's rangefinder styling. Even more so for the Fuji X100. What do people think of for a retro Pentax? I think it's got to be the K1000. I would definitely buy this camera over a similarly priced Canon 5D Mk II.
How many people are in this "retro-mania" for Pentax to capitalize on it... and as far as Pentax's thinking goes, it went out with the K-01 just because other players are in the retro-craze. So I think Pentax is still in the right direction; if it can't build something "different" then Pentax as an option, just goes lower in the brand ladder. It can't out-Canon or out-Nikon the DSLR range, and so it's a bit late to out-Olympus and out-Fuji the mirrorless market.

As I am not an expert in camera design, all I could wish for Pentax to build, to advance its market share, is a camera that performs at par with or better than competition in all (ok, just most, to be realistic) aspects (metering, AF, flash, handling, etc) and have better marketing, distribution for it.
05-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The difference being, my course existed.
That's what I object to.

But this is stupid. We agree. My daughter learned on a K1000. It lacked the features necessary to complete her learning. She used a KX for that. What's the issue?

Last edited by monochrome; 05-08-2012 at 06:57 AM.