Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
If you want a retro styled camera that looks like a thin old SLR, the E-M5 provides exactly that.
I tried the E-M5 the other day—I enjoyed the feel of it. I'm not a fan of electronic viewfinders at all, and I'm not the biggest fan of the m4/3 lenses at the moment. It did, however, have an excellent feel to it. (I'm no expert on the matter, though.)

No one makes a digital rangefinder but Leica. And they almost went bankrupt following their nostalgic strategy. I can see them making money off their lenses, but I don't see them selling a lot of cameras with what they are providing in them.
I was under the impression Leica was doing well with their latest entries. I remember the fiasco after the M8 IR sensitivity issues…I don't remember them going "almost bankrupt" over the digital M-series, but I'm no expert on that matter either.

I won't pursue the matter further…

05-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Here is what I think Pentax should make :

1) a follow-up to the K200D :

Ie. an updated affordable APS-C body, taking AA batteries (or hybrid Lion/AA like the K-r), weather-sealed, with a grip option, DC power connector (without stupid coupler), cable release connector. The last one of which I miss dearly on the K-r which replaced my K200D.

Add to that 1080p HD video, mic input for audio, and an articulated screen to go with it, and an updated sensor at least as good as the K-r in terms of ISO and MP. Maybe 16 to 20 MP.

2) an FF body

Same as above, plus have a 24 or 36 MP sensor to take full advantage of FF.
Add some AF for video, and 4K video, built-in GPS so flash can still be used.
05-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Pen digital styling is very strongly influenced by the Pen film cameras. The "Pen" name is no accident.
05-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think retro works better if a high-end product is emulated, as opposed to, say, the K1000.

05-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Bossa, I saw the 100% crop you posted from the Sigma 50, that looked pretty sharp to me. But yeah, lenses like the FA limiteds are pretty good. Honestly I think I'd be a Nikon FF owner like you if it wasn't for my FA31 and FA77.
There's no reason you cant have both
05-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even if Leica doesn't actually announce one, this sounds like an interesting idea too:

Mirrorless Rumors | Blog | The Leica B&W M mount camera has 18 megapixels! Announcement tomorrow!

A B&W sensor. I would definitely like to get one.
and only a grand more than an m9 . Like all leica RF bodies it will sell in minimal quantities and be built in minimal quantities

It is a cool idea though
05-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #52
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Pen digital styling is very strongly influenced by the Pen film cameras. The "Pen" name is no accident.
I wouldn't say so. Have a look at the E-P1 next to the original Pen. They both have a body with a lens mounted on it - and they're both small - that's about all they have in common.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
It is a cool idea though
I'm surprised no one used it for a smaller sensor camera. It could work well with a Q model too.

05-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #53
Veteran Member

I'm surprised no one used it for a smaller sensor camera. It could work well with a Q model too.
I'm surprised Ricoh hasn't done it in the past on a GRD variant. they already do a good job with b/w but a proper b/w sensor with 14-16 bit processor would be amazing. GRD is a quirky camera but a true photographers P&S IMO
06-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #54
Veteran Member

larger sensor

Instead of us demanding a FF camera how about the way some other brand have gone with a larger sensor that is around 1/3 crop instead of our 1/5 crop? The real drawback to the FF sensor is so many less sensors out of a semiconductor wafer. So I suggest that Pentax split the difference to keep prices down.
06-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
I disagree, if Pentax went the retro route, they would just be following Fuji & Olympus (and Leica to an extent I guess)
With all due respect for those who advocate that Pentax should absolutely have to have a cheap bottom price camera to compete with others, it never occurs to me that Subaru have to build cheap cars in order to survive among the auto giants like Toyota and Honda. Pentax needs to differentiates itself from others such that if someone wants a better build camera, that is the brand name they will likely to go to, not because it is cheap.
06-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Being cheap helps. Bang for my buck is the biggest thing that brought me to the K10D and DSLRs. Given the competition at the price point I was prepared to spend, it was no contest.
06-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Subaru do lots of rally and sponsoring. Subaru is more like leica : good product for those who really know cars, and trully want to go that way.

Pentax is more like a really small constructor trying to compete on mainstream car against GM/Toyota.

Pentax need entry level to sell a lot of it and be more "auto advertised" by customer strap, and thu, get more brand recognition. All that goes with marketing.
06-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Subaru do lots of rally and sponsoring. Subaru is more like leica : good product for those who really know cars, and trully want to go that way.

Pentax is more like a really small constructor trying to compete on mainstream car against GM/Toyota.

Pentax need entry level to sell a lot of it and be more "auto advertised" by customer strap.
Not really like Leica. Every third car in my town is a Subaru Outback, although it seems like they are less dense than a few years ago. Leica is truly niche -- I've never seen one in the wild. Pentax has a small market share, but it has a share. Subaru probably has a bigger share of the car market, but maybe not. (The car market is not totally dominated by only two brands either.) Leica is an outlier -- you can ignore it statistically.
06-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Pentax need to make a truly excellent *compact* digital camera. Yes compact cameras are losing market share fast, but they're still most people's way in to photography. They don't have to reinvent the wheel either - all the technology is there in the Q just stick a high quality fixed zoom lens on it! Keep the rest of the controls as per the Q. And oh yes, make it at least WR.
06-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
With all due respect for those who advocate that Pentax should absolutely have to have a cheap bottom price camera to compete with others, it never occurs to me that Subaru have to build cheap cars in order to survive among the auto giants like Toyota and Honda. Pentax needs to differentiates itself from others such that if someone wants a better build camera, that is the brand name they will likely to go to, not because it is cheap.
Subaru's aren't really that expensive. They last forever.