Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Does anyone here have a link to Falk Lumo's tests on Pentax SR? IIRC the tests show NO negative impacts of SR. I think we can attribute alleged SR problems to User Error.

05-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #32
Veteran Member

I'll agree with @D0n here. Goes with my point. Taking the image before the SR gets active -the hand symbol in the VF- often ruins a shot. According to me.
05-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
I'll agree with @D0n here. Goes with my point. Taking the image before the SR gets active -the hand symbol in the VF- often ruins a shot. According to me.
So this would apply only when the shutter speed is already quite high, i.e. you wouldn't need the SR anyway. Because naturally your shot might be ruined if you were using a low "SR-required" shutter speed and it failed to arm itself. So the test would be shooting with a 50mm at 1/250 or greater with SR turned on but firing too quickly for it to arm itself. I'll do some personal tests on that...
05-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #34
Veteran Member

No, not quite that. I gave the examples and crops to illustrate that SR might ruin a shot which otherwise cannot be ruined with shaky hands or low shutter speeds.

Regardless of the shutter speed, be it 1/10 or 1/2000, if you take the shot before the SR arms itself, it will be shaky.

This is my conclusion anyway

05-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #35
Pentaxian

No, not quite that. I gave the examples and crops to illustrate that SR might ruin a shot which otherwise cannot be ruined with shaky hands or low shutter speeds.

Regardless of the shutter speed, be it 1/10 or 1/2000, if you take the shot before the SR arms itself, it will be shaky.

This is my conclusion anyway
My point was that if the shutter speed is too low with SR turned off then it will be ruined anyway from normal shakiness. So you can't really separate "ruined from normal shaky hands because shutter too low" or "ruined from premature firing while SR-in-the-arming-process" if the shutter is too low. Thus to test you need to determine if it is wrecking shots at high shutter speeds where you don't need SR.
05-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I never turn SR off. It automatically turns off in timer mode though.
05-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My testing with the K-x and K20D has shown no difference with SR on or off at high shutter speeds. I leave SR on all the time except with a tripod. I use SR with a monopod and when panning.

I don't see how shooting before the hand is ready matters. All you're doing is shooting without SR. If the shot is blurry because SR wasn't ready, it's a sign that SR was needed.

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Well, on the K-x, she SR actually can play tricks sometimes, and ruin shots taken in otherwise reasonable conditions (1/100, in vertical position, focus at infinity).
There were a bunch of claims and counterclaims in a DPR thread about how different conditions might have an impact on K-x blur, (focal length, shutter speed, camera orientation, focus distance). I tested all of them and found nothing amiss with my K-x. It's likely that some suffered from the blur issue, but only a few from what I've read.
05-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Maybe there is some shake generated while the SR prepares. Maybe a lunatic thought, that's how I justify my opinion. But I'd love to hear a beter one explained.

05-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Maybe there is some shake generated while the SR prepares. Maybe a lunatic thought, that's how I justify my opinion. But I'd love to hear a beter one explained.
Yes, I believe that is the worry -- that the sensor is moving around while SR is arming but not in counter-sync (yet) with the vibrations. Like a targeting system -- it is going to miss.
05-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Yeah, exactly that.
05-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You might be able to figure it out here:

Application # 2008/0226276. ANTI-SHAKE APPARATUS - Patents.com
05-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #42

I have left it on since getting the camera but I shoot above 1/400 and have been using a tripod so maybe I should try turning it off.
05-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm leaving it off more and more on my K-x unless I know the shutter speed will be too slow. My typical shooting is to grab a shot during sports, drama, dance and recently BIF. I can't wait for SR to activate, even that fraction of a second.
05-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #44
Site Supporter

I have done one test to see if SR makes a difference on a tripod in macro applications.

Using the D-FA 100mm with a close up of some random desk item, I took 3 shots. One with SR off, one with SR on, and one with SR on and an oscillating pedestal fan blowing on the camera to introduce some sort of camera vibrations. It was a while ago and I can't remember what the camera settings were though ( think something like f/8 and a reasonable shutter speed).

In any case, I saw no difference at all in the images... but this was only one test under one set of particular conditions. Maybe one day if I'm feeling bored, I'll do proper "scientific" controlled tests
05-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
I don't wish to limit the discussion.
OK, in that case you agree turning off SR only makes sense in the tiny minority of situations where people are using tripods. If, on the other hand, you say, "but that's not a tiny percentage of the time for me; it's most of the time", then that is what I mean by limiting discussion. Limiting it to just the way a small minority of photographers work as opposed to the way most work.