Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When do you turn SR off?

My default lens is a 35mm prime. 1/f rule of thumb (ignoring SR) says that my shutter speed should be 1/50 or 1/60 of a second. If I'm outside I can get 1/200 of a second or better easily enough. At what point does in-body shake reduction cease to have any effect?

Presumably there is some point at which SR actually makes things worse. What sort of multiple of the 1/f speed would we be talking about?

05-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me, the only time it's off is when I select self-timer mode

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
D0n
Banned

wrong question.... IMHO.... the question is "When to turn SR on?" and for me it is only when absolutely needed..... I prefer using a tripod before resorting to SR...
SR is only for low light handholding situations such as wedding receptions where the tripod would be too cumbersome for candids...
05-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Seriously, why turn SR off when using it handheld?
My SR is always on

05-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

My SR is always on -- it turns itself off in certain modes (self-timer, mirror lock-up, remote trigger). It should be off when using a tripod -- it can make it worse, but when I use a tripod I usually also use mirror lock-up and a remote so it turns itself off. So if you have your camera perched on a rock or something you might turn it off even if you are still "handholding" it sort of. (I much preferred the exterior SR switch on the K10D where I could flip it off easily and also easily see if it was on or off.) It is also not much use for macro where you get "in-out" shake that actually makes a difference. If it is handheld and your shutter speed is already very fast compared to focal length (x5) then it really doesn't matter whether it is on or off -- I've done enough personal tests to determine there is no particular reason to turn it off most of the time.
05-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

My SR is always On. I would switch it off only on tripod.
05-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter

My SR is also always on. The only time it comes off is when I am shooting on a tripod (turns off Automatically with self timer) and when I am using the panning technique for moving stuff (which I do manually).
05-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My SR is always on EXCEPT:

* tripod or timer usage
* macro focus distance
* twisting MF zooms
* forgetful negligence

05-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, on the K-x, she SR actually can play tricks sometimes, and ruin shots taken in otherwise reasonable conditions (1/100, in vertical position, focus at infinity).
05-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
wrong question.... IMHO.... the question is "When to turn SR on?" and for me it is only when absolutely needed..... I prefer using a tripod before resorting to SR...
Ok, if you wish to limit discussion to only those cases where a tripod is used, sure, don't use SR. But in the cases where you are not using a tripod - which is the vast majority of shots taken by the vast majority of photographers - then SR should geneally stay on, as it will help even in situations where you might not expect, and will rarely if ever hurt.
05-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

What about 1/500 or 1/1000 and faster shutter speeds. I have a "sport" user mode set up on my K-5 where I use 1/500 or faster, and I'm considering turning off SR for it. I've heard advice for canon and nikon shooters to turn off their VR/IS (on their lenses obviously) off at these fast shutter speeds, so I wonder if it applies for us too

I also have a "panning" user mode and SR is off for that.
05-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Ok, if you wish to limit discussion to only those cases where a tripod is used, sure, don't use SR. But in the cases where you are not using a tripod - which is the vast majority of shots taken by the vast majority of photographers - then SR should geneally stay on, as it will help even in situations where you might not expect, and will rarely if ever hurt.
I don't wish to limit the discussion.
I factor my own human behaviour into my process. I use a tripod as often as possible... by keeping the SR off I never forget to turn it off before mounting the camera onto a tripod... it's really that simple for me. SR is something I resort to when needed, and since it's only needed in lower light, environments where you want lower iso and slower shutter speeds.... and the tripod is too cumbersome... I rarely use it.
in fact... I'll use flash in those conditions before turning on SR.

boils down to habits, I guess...
05-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter

MIne is on all the time, except on a tripod. And SR helps when I shoot because I have a problem where my hands shake uncontrollably most of the time.

I tried RioRico's, in turning it off for my macro shots, I couldn't tell any difference, so I leave it on for those shots too.
05-07-2012, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Well, on the K-x, she SR actually can play tricks sometimes
Do you think he SR will be less tricky? I think K5 has a "he" SR, I find it less tricky than K-x which was always playing tricks, but "she" was very cute! I still regret selling her
05-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not that often. Because Pentax removed the switch, and it takes too much time to do it in menu with a big chance to forget it there, while the dedicated switch is in front of you all the time. I hope they return it back in next models.