Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2008, 09:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I had a similar experience at a local camera shop when I was looking for my first DSLR. After a lot of online research, the features convinced me to make the K100D my front runner. I decided I still needed to handle one to confirm my decision. I went to a local store with a decent reputation, and asked about the K100D, but all they had was a K10D. I thought I'd at least check it out for comparison's sake. The whole time it was in my hand, the sales guy was carrying on, saying (and I'm only paraphrasing a little), "I don't know why you're bothering to look at Pentax. You'd be a lot better off with Nikon. That's what I shoot, that's what we sell the most of, and that's what we know."

At first, I was happy to keep telling him the features that were drawing me to the Pentax, like in-body shake reduction and compatibility with old lenses I already had from my K1000 days. But he kept dismising everything I said, making it clear he thought he knew more about everything than I did. "Manual lenses on modern bodies are a pain in the ass, you'll hate not being able to autofocus....in-lens image stabilization is way better than in-body." At no point was he interested in trying to listen to what I had already clearly decided. If he had been more interested in hearing what I was saying than he was in trying to convince me that I didn't know what I wanted, he probably would have talked me into buying the K10D I had in my hand. But he lost the chance to get any of my money.

I ended up buying it online when I couldn't find a K100D locally, save for one store with insanely high prices. But at least that store gave me a chance to test one out.

01-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #17

Yvon wrote: "offended by that kind of condescending attitude"

Had the same experience at Mike's Camera in Boulder, CO. Geez, I even had my credit card in my hand. But all of my experiences (online and by phone) with B&H have been excellent.
01-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought my DS and K10D at the local store . They do stock Pentax gears . I think because the general manager is an old ( very nice ) guy so he would used or heard of Pentax . Lots of people started with K1000 .
Anyway , I had to wait for my cameras but they were very nice about it . Their standard answer from a few sale men/women was : " We don't have it in stock but we can order it for you " ! Their services was very helpful .

If any of you have a problem , I suggest you demand to talk to the managers . Let them know . That is one way to express the demand for Pentax . Also it will weed out the bad sale reps.

The major key for local stores are SERVICE ! That is the reason people willing to pay for more than online price . There will be bad sale reps / workers anywhere . We , customers , need to let them know .

My local store ( one of 3 locations ) are located next to a big shopping mall with all the big box outlets and yet they still doing good .People is going to them for the services .

On the other hand , lots of folks don't know much about Pentax because they really don't read/see much about it . We should let them know . I always let people play with my camera because it is an "exotic " item in their eyes . A K10D with grip , 50-135 , lens hood is a serious looking combo .
01-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
On the other hand , lots of folks don't know much about Pentax because they really don't read/see much about it . We should let them know . I always let people play with my camera because it is an "exotic " item in their eyes . A K10D with grip , 50-135 , lens hood is a serious looking combo .
I got the comment on K10D + D-BG2 grip + 16-50 the other day that "I've never seen a lens like that!" And then with a look through the large, bright viewfinder: "Wow!" I think anything with that big glass hole in the front impresses, and justifiably so.

01-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Yep ! People are bombarded with visual stimuli every where now aday so a big "package" will get their attention . On the other hand , my Pentax 1958 K gets somewhat equal treatment . Yes , no LCD , no battery and take FILM . And it costs me 50 bucks . And just between the forum and me I knew nothing of it until I see it in person !
01-16-2008, 11:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Its same thing down here in nz. Stockists actually know that Pentax sells very well but their up to their noses in Canon and Nikon gear that seems to be gathering dust on the shelves. Photography is already a small market here in nz and the sky high prices for gear regardless of brand doesnt help the local retailers either. Most people here who have a bit of common sense buy online from overseas retailers leaving local stores with the short end of the stick. Result is overstocked with 2 hard to sell brands(at least glass wise) that is out of most peoples budget so a third isnt an option till they start offloading gear. At least thats the pillar facing us Pentax users here in nz. I would also assume that false rumours are spreading around the retail circuits as have heard from two different salesmen from different (reputable) shops that Pentax are no longer in business??Wtf??
01-17-2008, 12:09 AM   #22
edl
Veteran Member

Well, I've never been to Sammy's in Pasadena but when I went into Ritz Camera in Manhattan Beach to look at the D40 and D80, the salesperson actually recommended a K10D (and handed one off to me) to look at. He had a D80 himself (and really did try to sell the D80 to me) but said the K10D was very comparable and worth a look at.

I guess it boils down to whoever's standing on the other side of the counter, and how they're feeling that day. The guy I spoke with at Ritz was very cool.

I almost did spring for the D80, but after doing some research I'm glad I went with Pentax.

01-17-2008, 04:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

There's no need to smell a conspiracy if the salesmen are working at least on a partial commission basis. More expensive cameras naturally have more markup built in to the price, which equals a better commission. It is not in the salesman's personal best interest to point one toward a Pentax in such cases.

That being said, though, they should be professional enough to courteously help the person who has his mind made up on Pentax gear. If the salesman is being an ass, just say, "Look, I'm going to buy this regardless but I would like the commission to go to someone with a better attitude. Could you have someone else wait on me please?"
01-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Windmill Quote
Yvon wrote: "offended by that kind of condescending attitude"

Had the same experience at Mike's Camera in Boulder, CO. Geez, I even had my credit card in my hand. But all of my experiences (online and by phone) with B&H have been excellent.
If you go back ask for Brian. He has always been very helpful for me and, even though by his own admission he is a "Nikon Guy", he has an impressive knowledge of the things they carry.
01-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Main reason i don't shop at Vistek in Toronto. I have gone in on several occasions, and as soon as they know your just some poor consumer, and not a pro, they tended to get very condensenting to you.

At least that was what they were like a few years ago, on two occasions.

Went in looking for a full MF kit. The guy seemed ok, then i asked what i guess was a stupid question, and the attitude began.

I have found a store, and a salesman that treats me kindly and puts up with my questions and handling. He knows i'll buy what I want, and never pushes anything. He will suggest, but i have the final say.

Dave
01-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I have come to the conclusion that many stores do not like to deal with pentaxians for the fear they will get pentaxritis and as a result have become pentaxaphobic.
01-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #27

It's just a simple fact that if you were running a camera store to make money, and Canon has 45% of the market share, and Nikon has 35% of the market share, what equipment are you going to stock if you want to make money?

The local pro shop where I try to get my gear had the Pentax K10D in stock. They had a kit in stock, and a battery grip. They also had the 540 flash. I thought I was pretty fortunate. I got to compare the K10D with the D200 and others and decided on the K10D. But they're not going to stock many lenses for it because the lenses may well sit for a long time, and lenses for Canon and Nikon will sell. It's just simple economics. So I give them my business when I can, and I order lenses and accessories from them if they can come close to the on-line price. They usually try, because they actually do want the business - it's just not a good business decision to stock equipment for five percent of the people when you can stock equipment for 80% of the people.

No excuses for bad attitudes, but you can't blame a salesman for trying to sell you something he has rather than something he doesn't have. He works on commission, and he doesn't make the buying decisions.

Cheers
01-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by davlee Quote
Pentax DSLRs have been flying off the shelves, particularly in the last year with the K10D and the K100D series.

Business must be pretty good in these brick & mortar camera shops for them to happily give up that market to online sales.
Anyone hvae som sale-figures for PEntax now, especially for the K10D?

I know I`ve comvinced some poor people thinking EOS400D or D40 was better...
01-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I bought my K100D from a Ritz store in northern VA. I first went to a brand new (open about a month) Ritz store a couple of miles from my home, but they did not have either the K100 or K10 in stock. The sales guy told me he thought they had it at another Ritz and called and verified that it was in stock. At the 2nd store, my sales person was a young lady (looked about 18 or so). She asked what camera was I interested in and what experience I had (I told her I had not used a SLR since my Minolta SRT-101 days). I told her that I had looked at and handled both the canon and nikon, and that I had pretty much already decided on the K100D, but I had never held one. She handed me one off the shelf, put in the sd card, and told me to walk around with it a few minutes, take a few shots, see what I thought, and she would get back with me (she was working with 2 other customers) and answer any questions I might have. I did, and after she finished with the other 2 customers (1 canon purchase and 1 nikon), we talked a bit about the camera and she pointed out some things I wasn't aware of, and said "for the money, the K100D is a heck of a good camera and a good buy." I asked what she shot and she laughed and said she was a D80 snob. She never tried to talk me into another brand, and she said that based on what I had told her about my being a relative "newbie", she thought I would be very happy with the K100D. She did ask me if I thought I might want to step up to the K10 instead, but I told her I didn't think I was ready for that. There have been a few times that I wish I had gone for the K10, but I'm happy with the K100.

Sorry for this being so wordy, but all in all, my buying experience at both Ritz stores was good. The only downside to the whole experience is the fact that Pentax stiffed me for the $50 rebate -- but, I still luv the camera!
01-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I bought my K10D at the Ritz Camera in Saratoga Springs and the sales people there love the Pentax line and can't keep them in stock. I bought the last camera body in stock and had to wait 5 days until they got me the kit lens. I have no complaints at all. They also stock several lenses from Sigma, Tamron,and Quantray in Pentax mounts along with Pentax lenses. They can order anything and get it in a couple of days. The only possible problem is that stuff is selling so well they are backordered on some items.