Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-08-2012, 05:03 AM   #1

Problem with IstDs

Hello,

i have a k20d and my girlfriend is using my old istds. and something went wrong the other day. I dont know what,
but when i turn on the camera and when i want to browse the images, its like the button for next image is kept pressed
and it starts to continuesly loop trough the images.
if i want to take the picture in A mode (or anyother), i have a totaly different mode selected when viewing trough the viewfinder.
if i have multiple focus points selected, it always selects me the bottom one.
the camera has no value, so i dont mean to send it to repair and pay 200€ for something thats worth 1/10 of that.
is there anything i can do on my own?

Regards

05-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try opening it up and seeing if the button is stuck. Worth a try, I'd say!
05-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
maybe hit the button with some contact cleaner as well
05-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #4

It seems that the key is stuck, try to open up the cover to repair it youself. It is not worthy to spend that money.....

05-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hm,

ill give it a try. And i hope that will fix the problem with scrolling in menus, viewing pictures, autofocus points, ... but what could be
wrong with the different picture modes?

Lets say i chose "A" but when i look trough the viewfinder i see the camera is set to Portrait or landscape or anything else ....
And if i than hold the camera with my right hand and grab the lens with my left hand and push lens to the body, than the correct
picture mode comes on ...

i got a feeling the camera got dropped down or something ...
05-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #6

Heki, I have only later Pentax cameras, the K20d & the K7 but I have an old Olympus camera, the E-1 which is about the same age as the 1std & older than your 1stds. Of course the E-1 was intended as a pro camera and was initially much more expensive but if the E-1 can be restored to near-new condition by a repair shop, it is worth it not only to me but to a lot of people. There are a lot of people out there still using the E-1 and the same thing seems to be true for the Pentax 1std. If I had a Pentax 1std and I liked it, I wouldn't be dissuaded by the low used prices for it on eBay. I would think that if I could get it back into good working order for $200 it would be worth it. I read about a lot of people who had old cameras, sold them on eBay and then later regretted it. That would be similar to throwing an old camera away because it wasn't working right.

As to your actual problem, your camera has a "slide-show" feature. Your girl-friend accidentally turned that on. Turn it off and that problem will go away.

Lawrence
05-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #7

Original Poster
Its not a slide show feature ... When i go into a menu, the thing starts to move automaticly trough the options ...
and what about picture mode thing? i will take it apart this weekend. i need to find the correct tools first

05-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #8

Heki,

Perhaps the sticky knob can be fixed by taking the camera apart but not the other -- the moving automatically through the options.

Have you tried the "reset" feature? I forget which camera I was using, but I changed lenses in the field without turning the camera off first. From then on it took 2 or 3 seconds between the time I pushed the shutter button to the time the shutter actually clicked. I had several hours of thinking I was going to have to send the camera in to be fixed before I thought of the "reset" function. I activated that and the camera was restored to normal.

Lawrence
05-10-2012, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Heki, Since you are going to tear istDS down, I attach 3 pages from my day-book from when I did it last year

https://www.box.com/s/b5b117f4f064fa88a965
https://www.box.com/s/cc0deffe99cc5e842106
https://www.box.com/s/fcd623262b4dda0d947e

All the screws are different -2 types of threads and various lengths
So you need calipers to measure each screw as it comes out, so you can put back on re assembly
You might need a soldering iron, depending how deep you need to go.
Be aware of the flash capacitor pads up on the top left (looking from camera rear)
You really need to discharge the C with a resistor.

Good luck