Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #16

Additional K-20d SDM woes

I also am suffering SDM issues with a K-20d. I don't own any Pentax SDM lenses, but do have 2x Sigma "HSM" lenses (150-500 APO HSM and 18-125 HSM). These had been working perfectly with the K-20d body until last friday, about midway through a day at Brands Hatch circuit in Kent, when suddenly the 150-500 stopped auto-focusing. I switched to a screw-drive (old Tamron 70-300 kit lens) and it worked fine. Tried the other Sigma HSM (18-125) and same issue - in-viewfinder indicates "MF" for both my HSM lenses, despite both lenses set to "AF" and the body set to "AF-S" or "AF-C".

The two gold pins inside the K-mount ring which I *assume* to be the SDM contacts appear clean, just next to them is a small metal strip with a curve in it, which I assume is somehow depressed by a flange on HSM/SDM compliant lenses. I cleaned all around this area but the body remains able to focus only screw-drive lenses: SDM/HSM has just stopped working.

Checked the firmware, it was way behind at 1.01 but this wouldn't explain why a working feature would just stop. Upgraded to 1.04 anyway and left the camera 24 hrs without a battery but still nothing.

Estimate for repair is up close to the K-20's second-hand resale value. Wondering whether it would make a nice second body now for my older screw-drives and maybe look into a new K-5....

06-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clumsybiker Quote
in-viewfinder indicates "MF" for both my HSM lenses, despite both lenses set to "AF" and the body set to "AF-S" or "AF-C".
QuoteOriginally posted by clumsybiker Quote
I cleaned all around this area but the body remains able to focus only screw-drive lenses
Possible causes that can think of
  • Contact problem between lens and camera. Did you clean the 'ball' contacts on the mounts as well?
  • Lenses died; try lenses on another camera body.
  • Camera 'died'; try another SDM/HSM lens on your camera body.
For the last two, you probably have to visit a shop or find somebody with Pentax gear in your neighborhood. Did you try a reset of the camera to factory settings?