Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Rain Gear and...

I'm going to a workshop, (macro, landscape, travel) in 10 days. It will be outdoors, although my K10 is weathersealed, my lenses are not. To be prepared,
what do you use to keep you gear safe from the weather. BTW, Tamron will be there, allowing the attendees to "test" their products. On another thought,
what would you take? Batteries, flash, small tripod, extra card are already on my list.

05-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always keep a cheap (dollar store version) rain poncho in my bag. It fits over a tripod and camera if it rains and you can use the head opening in the hood or the arm opening to shoot through.

Tim
05-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've used plastic bags for 5+ decades (not the same ones all that time, eh?) and haven't lost any gear to rain yet.
05-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter

When I shoot in the rain, I expect various levels of "soak" to make it through whatever "water proof" devices I use. Sure, I can put things in plastic bags, but they always seem to get wet. Until the K5 and 18-135WR, I didn't use my DSLR in the rain. I always keep/kept an Optio WR around for severe weather.

One trick I use for water is Micro fiber towels and paper towels or sanitary napkins or even tampons. Yes, kind of nasty if they get wet, but they *do* soak up a ton of liquid in the right conditions. It takes a TON of water to soak a lens that is wrapped in something that soaks up water, so the wrapping of things acts like a "delay" mechanism until I can get back to a place that is dry.

05-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use for packing my kit, lowprowe bags most of which include rain covers. That keeps klit dry while packing it in and out.

You can use rain bags or covers or plastic bags for your gear and as long as you are careful you should be OK

one thing to remember, though, if you are careless, anything that holds rain out, can also hold it in, if you let it in.

If you use a bag over your camera, make sure you don't let water poor into the bag when carrying it between actual shots, because that is how you saturate your kit.
05-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, I will be at Andersons Japanese Gardens, In Rockford, Illinois, check it out, also, look at what they charge a Professional
to shoot.
05-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcamero Quote
Thanks for the responses, I will be at Andersons Japanese Gardens, In Rockford, Illinois, check it out, also, look at what they charge a Professional
to shoot.
$500?

I'd go there first with a simple set-up and check what is in bloom before I'd pay that.

Also, if they are charging that fee, I'd also have some expectations. Namely, shooting when there are few people around. No kids. Shooting at extended hours, either before sunrise or after, and other things. With a "Professional Fee" comes "Professional Expectations".
05-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been to Anderson a few times, it's a great spot.
Anderson Japanese Gardens - a set on Flickr

Oops, I realize I haven't uploaded pictures from my last visit!

05-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My camera backpack has a rain sleeve. I also carry a package of Op Tech Rain Sleeves. Cheap, easy to use, fit almost anywhere, disposable if damaged.

OP/TECH USA 18" Rainsleeve (Set of 2) 9001132 B&H Photo
05-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
My camera backpack has a rain sleeve. I also carry a package of Op Tech Rain Sleeves. Cheap, easy to use, fit almost anywhere, disposable if damaged.

OP/TECH USA 18" Rainsleeve (Set of 2) 9001132 B&H Photo
That looks exactly like what I have been looking for. I have an outdoor event I am covering and need to be prepared if weather is wet. How easy is it to use camera with the cover on?
05-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
... How easy is it to use camera with the cover on?
Very easy. Just snug the drawstring around the base of the lens hood and reach in the other end to get at camera controls. Plus, they are cheap enough that even if you don't like them (I do,) you are not out much.
05-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Camo-Mac Waterproof Camera Covers

I got a couple from these folks. Nicely made and quite reasonable.
05-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Camo-Mac Waterproof Camera Covers

Talk to Brian, he sells good stuff.
05-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Food storage and heavy green/black garbage bags, a good zip up brand, not a generic, and duct/monster tape. I never leave home without them actually. I've been known to make a rain coat and boots from a couple of trash bags and some tape. You can make a quick rain bonnet for a camera that way too. I may get weird looks while walking down the street, but I stay nice and dry. Umbrellas are useless in a good storm anyway. One good gust and they're dead. I do keep an actual rain poncho in the car, but sometimes you need a lot more coverage that that, particularly when you have gear in hand...