Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian
LFLee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Western MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,264
Can we expect a Ricoh GXR K-mount?

I initially thought Ricoh will introduce GXR in K-mount after they have a M-mount for Leica glass.

But instead we have a K-01.
Any chance we will have a K-mount GXR after K-01? It will have to be much better than K-01 in specs to appeal to K-mount user?
The body + sensor & k-mount could make it more expensive than the K-01 though...

Lee

05-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,253
Didn't they officially announce they would make one?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Didn't they officially announce they would make one?
I don't think so I think they said they were looking at making one.

from Photorumours CES report in January

QuoteQuote:
The Ricoh/Pentax news from CES (reported by AP) is that Ricoh may launch a new GXR body with variable-angle LCD and a Pentax K-mount GXR unit.
05-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,421
Give them time, would take quite a while to fully design & put into production something like this. They havent owned Pentax for all that long!

05-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I initially thought Ricoh will introduce GXR in K-mount after they have a M-mount for Leica glass.

But instead we have a K-01.
Any chance we will have a K-mount GXR after K-01? It will have to be much better than K-01 in specs to appeal to K-mount user?
The body + sensor & k-mount could make it more expensive than the K-01 though...

Lee
I expect K-01 was partially complete when Ricoh acquired Pentax. Plus, its gut a lot of the internal stuff and sensor from the K-5. The GXR module would be a separate but new project.
05-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
We can hope, but it's better to have no expectations, lest we be painfully disappointed. Again.
05-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
Yep, no expectations - I actually expect nothing more than standard run-of-the-mill equipment from them for a long while, if something better than average that appeals to the majority of pentaxians is thrown in here and there that would be awesome but I am not expecting it will however get excited if they do...
05-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian
LFLee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Western MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,264
Original Poster
It appears that most of you like the GXR.... is the GXR k-mount a better concept than the K-01?

I think the K-01 grip took the shape of Ricoh camera....
I like the simplicity and size of the GXR (not sure about their image quality though).... if it were to make a K-mount module, will it have to be as thick as the K-01?

Lee

05-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
It appears that most of you like the GXR.... is the GXR k-mount a better concept than the K-01?

I think the K-01 grip took the shape of Ricoh camera....
I like the simplicity and size of the GXR (not sure about their image quality though).... if it were to make a K-mount module, will it have to be as thick as the K-01?

Lee
The K-01 has SR. M-module for GXR does not, so by extension the hypothetical K-module won't as well.
Flange distance will have to be the same, though the GXR can have a slimmer side profile compared to the boxy shape of the K-01.

In all, K-module is pointless. I'd rather it stay as M-module 16-24mp or FF. Its going to be MF anyway, so it just needs a M-K adapter for said module to use K-mount.
K-01 at least offers AF and other auto modes as well as peaking for legacy K-mount.
Just wait for an 'advanced' version or K-02 for it to improve on the finer points (ie. design/looks; evf; AF, etc)
05-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The K-01 has SR. M-module for GXR does not, so by extension the hypothetical K-module won't as well.
Flange distance will have to be the same, though the GXR can have a slimmer side profile compared to the boxy shape of the K-01.

In all, K-module is pointless. I'd rather it stay as M-module 16-24mp or FF. Its going to be MF anyway, so it just needs a M-K adapter for said module to use K-mount.
K-01 at least offers AF and other auto modes as well as peaking for legacy K-mount.
Just wait for an 'advanced' version or K-02 for it to improve on the finer points (ie. design/looks; evf; AF, etc)
I mostly agree, but there is no reason a K module can't be AF. they own the design after all
05-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I mostly agree, but there is no reason a K module can't be AF. they own the design after all
True! And this may be how they go full frame in a mirrorless system.
05-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
True! And this may be how they go full frame in a mirrorless system.
Maybe it will be a 16 bit b/w ff using the sensor leica is announcing today (damn I'd love that 16 bit b/w )
05-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Well if you would like a K-mount GXR, you might as well think over purchasing a K-01.
05-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Maybe it will be a 16 bit b/w ff using the sensor leica is announcing today (damn I'd love that 16 bit b/w )
That's an advantage of a GXR-like modular system: much easier to develop and release specialized modules, with non-mainstream sensors: B&W (actinic or ortho or panchromatic), Foveon, IR, ultra-hi or -lo ISO, etc. I can't wait!

ObTopic: Pentax-Ricoh may not release an APS PK-mountor with AF because it may cannibalize K-01 sales. The APS M-mountor is tempting -- all my MF lenses (except C-mounts etc) are usable, as well as those with registers longer than 27.8mm: all FF & APS SLRs, LTMs, 4/3 (not m4/3), Oly Pen-F, but alas not A110. No cannibalization of current products. Any FF APS PK-mountor *with* SR and AF would be a game-changer IMHO.
05-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #15
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well if you would like a K-mount GXR, you might as well think over purchasing a K-01.
The GXR is more versatile than K. Just change out a module.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, gxr, k-01, k-mount, photography, ricoh, ricoh gxr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Ricoh GXR Club Urkeldaedalus Ricoh GR 453 07-03-2017 10:18 PM
Ricoh GXR-system Full Frame K-mount module RonHendriks1966 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 60 06-07-2016 06:47 PM
Ricoh GXR Leica M-mount APS-C module, K-mount next? LFLee Pentax News and Rumors 60 10-18-2011 07:11 AM
Pentax Q or Ricoh GXR SPB Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 18 07-07-2011 12:55 PM
The Ricoh GXR is no K-mount (yet?) thibs Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 7 11-11-2009 07:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:16 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top