Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2008, 01:57 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
A better flash than 540GFZ ?

I've got the 540FGZ and it seems to be very slow at recharging between flashes. Is there something from another brand that would be better at this, still giving you the wireless flash and the other essential modes and a reasonably good user interface and dependable performance? Tell us!

01-17-2008, 02:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
I've got the 540FGZ and it seems to be very slow at recharging between flashes. Is there something from another brand that would be better at this, still giving you the wireless flash and the other essential modes and a reasonably good user interface and dependable performance? Tell us!
What type of batteries are you using? Not all batteries are created equal. Recharge time for the strobe will be directly related to the series resistance in the batteries. Lower series resistance = higher current draws available.
01-17-2008, 03:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
What type of batteries are you using? Not all batteries are created equal. Recharge time for the strobe will be directly related to the series resistance in the batteries. Lower series resistance = higher current draws available.
NiMh:s of different brands, mostly Hama, some GP, with 2000-2600 mAh. No mention of resistance anywhere.
01-17-2008, 04:53 AM   #4

NiMh:s of different brands, mostly Hama, some GP, with 2000-2600 mAh. No mention of resistance anywhere.

Are you sure that those batteries are still in good shape? I don't have 540 but 360 and fresh set of Eneloops give good results in this aspect. Older, much used GP:s are slow and don't give very many flashes either...

01-17-2008, 05:14 AM   #5

Try some Eneloops.. alot of people including myself have had good experience with them.

They also hold a charge for a long time.

Cheers
01-17-2008, 05:57 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Also, if the flash is always firing at full power, it will take longer to recharge. Raising the ISO will allow the flash to use less power per shot.
01-17-2008, 07:23 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Also, if the flash is always firing at full power, it will take longer to recharge. Raising the ISO will allow the flash to use less power per shot.
Well, I was kind of more interested in a comparison between flashes, if somebody has made one, than between batteries and modes. I agree that better batteries are better – but is there a better flash gun?

Mathias

01-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #8

There is no better flash gun for the K10D.
01-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, I was kind of more interested in a comparison between flashes, if somebody has made one, than between batteries and modes. I agree that better batteries are better – but is there a better flash gun?
Mathias,

The Metz 54MZ-4 flash might be better than the Pentax AF 540 FGZ. I had one for just a couple of days at the start of last summer. Although it seems to have quite a few features and to be fairly powerful, I sent it back mainly because I discovered that it would not do P-TTL, but also because I found it a little too hard to figure out. In retrospect, I think I may have been too quick to send it back. I'm no longer very fond of P-TTL. Unfortunately, I didn't spend enough time with the Metz to be able to recommend it, just to mention it for your consideration. Metz has a terrific reputation in the flash biz.

I have been able to get good results from the Pentax 540 FGZ with careful use and a lot of practice and experience. The fact that it's made by Pentax guarantees compatibility, which is worth something. The flash does tilt and swivel nicely, something that I find essential. So you can get the job done with the Pentax flash, and it's undoubtedly the safest buy. But flash isn't a strength of the Pentax platform. Canon has better options and Nikon seems to have the best.

Will
01-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Mathias
If you want very fast recycle times, why not look for a flash with an HV ac adaptor.

I have a sunpak autozoom 3000, quite old by today's standards, only will work in auto mode, BUT it has a 115V ac supplied High Voltage power plug that came with it.

Recycle time, don't know, but I am almost willing to bet it is faster than the JPEG frame rate on my K10D.
01-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
and
Veteran Member

a quantum turbo battery or similar and a flash that supports that should be the way to go for fast recycle
01-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have the Pentax battery pack. My 540 FGZ recycles about as fast as I can set up the next candid shot.

Will
01-20-2008, 03:01 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input - I think a rather safe conclusion would be that no, there really is not a flashgun that Pentax users now generally consider better than the 540 FGZ.
The battery/ battery pack track seems to be worth exploring.
Now I know what I have, and also what I will not be getting.

Mathias
01-20-2008, 06:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have a Sigma EF500 DG Super and the recicle time is actually very good. But it seems to me that it is underexposing about half a stop in most situation so I keep
the exposure compensation on for most of the time
01-20-2008, 06:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

For the ultimate go fast flash - I think they spec it for the 58 at less than 2 seconds - typically .1 to .5 seconds ...

Metz | P76 - Power Pack with Charger | MZ53129 | B&H Photo Video

with the ...

Metz | 58 AF-1 TTL Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax | MZ 58317PS

Of cour$e you will have to pay through the no$e for that setup.