Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I wish I could justify the price for the attributes it affords.

01-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, let me add yet another vote for it. I love it and never take it off. The grip actually adds a fair amount of weight, but because of how it all fits together and redistributes the weight of both it and the camera, the K10D really seems to weigh less with it on. The biggest downside I've had with it (and not really anything at all) is that I had to make sure I got a big enough bag. As to the "complaints" about removing it to get to the second battery, either don't use one in the body as already suggested, or set the camera to use the grip first and use and recharge that as a primary while keeping the second one in the body fully charged and only use it and recharge it when absolutely needed.
01-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I don't bother turning the Vertical off. I feel it could interferr with getting that quick shot.

I have on the other hand, taken a few shots of my coat, fence posts, etc, by accident.

Dave
01-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thank you so much for all your extremely quick responses and I really appreciate the feed back on the said topic. And I think I am going to buy is since you guys have practically convinced me it is as useful as it should be and that it in fact looks "freakn awesome" which is always a plus. Specially since I can get it for 104 $ from amazon right now.

Amazon.com: Pentax BG2 Battery Grip for Pentax K10D DSLR Cameras: Electronics

01-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why don't you wait until u got the K10D and then go to some camera store to try it out yourself? I got the grip for my K10D and love it, but i do take it off sometime since my camera bag can't fit them together, but my remote keep safe in the grip so i won't lose it, so as the extra battery.

and for sure it feel good when grip is on, it gave me extra support where my whole hand is holding the camera instead of 3/4 of it
01-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #21

I hardly ever use the vertical controls (silly me), but the grip itself is never coming off the camera for 6 months now. The added ergonomics and balance are completely worth it by themselves. I can even be as bold as to say that one-handed shooting is more comfortable for me with the grip on. That said, I have fairly large hands, so your experience may vary (1.88m - me, not the hands)
01-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #22

Thanks for the explanations about the grip power switch and why you might turn it off.
I find the camera much more ergonomically pleasing with the grip on, although the extra controls aren't something I expect to use much.
01-17-2008, 06:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The grip is a must-have for me. It just fits in my hand so much better with it, and I've never had to worry about battery life. The remote holder has saved me from panicking when I need to remember where I put my remote. I would say go for it.

As others have mentioned, it helps to turn the vertical grip 'off' when you're not using it. For a while I would be previewing pictures on the back LCD screen, then it would suddenly go blank and I would hear the camera start to focus. I discovered that I was inadvertantly pushing the grip's shutter release with the bottom of my hand. Thats why I leave mine off unless I need it.

01-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

The only time my grip comes off the camera is to take the battery out to charge it....wouldn't dream of using the camera without it...
01-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #25
Inactive Account

the most important, and useful accessory. the weight is something you'll never notice because of the perfect balance it brings with it.

i also have both straps going to a d-link on the left strap eyelet on the body - which makes portrait work easy as.
01-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #26

It's a great accessory, but I'll buck the trend and admit I usually don't have it on when I'm out on a 'social shoot'. It'll generally be in the camera bag. If I'm going out to Take Photos, though (note the all upper-case), then I'll have it on the body most of the time. Taking portrait-orientation shots is much easier with the grip, it balances the body nicely, it carries a vital spare battery and a spare "desperate last minute" SD card as well as the remote.

The first time I took the camera + grip out for a daytrip to the zoo, I had the pair around my neck all day. And all I can say is : Heavy!

But worth it.

And to use the phrase: it does look freakn awesome
01-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #27
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Here's another vote for the grip and being a woman I have fairly small hands. Even though it adds some extra weight I find the it makes the camera more comfortable to hold. I don't use a second battery either but I love that the remote tucks in to it's little storage drawer.

Another point in it's favor is that it makes the camera look much more intimidatiing so my kids are afraid to even go near it!
01-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Since i have my grip i never let him go because it is the best accesory.
And like i do not think it is that heavy, at least it is less than some lens so just enjoy it

And like rzarbo say the effect of making the camera bigger is sometime usefull with people who do not know anything to photography and you look like more than a profesional and that trust me can help
01-17-2008, 08:45 PM   #29

I should explained myself, The only issue for me is when I hold the camera horizontal, the lower part of my palm activates the button, when its turn on and can take photos or the lens starts to focus.

So I now remind myself to turn it off, and it doesn't take long to turn it on when you need it.
01-18-2008, 06:30 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rzarbo Quote
Another point in it's favor is that it makes the camera look much more intimidatiing so my kids are afraid to even go near it!
LOL! I agree, it does tend to make the camera much larger, and more "indimidating". I'll pull out the DS, if I want to be more descrete or for travelling light...