Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Silus001 Quote
I am a current K100d owner and will be getting a K10d if not tomorrow later this week. I was wondering if the grip is really worth getting and how useful you guys really find it (apart from the fact that it looks freakn awesome). Is having to carry the extra bulk of the grip worth the actual use of it?
Nope, IMO. It just adds weight and size to the body without any additional functionalty - the body of K10D alone is large enough and with a large hand grip position included already.

For battery life issue, just carry a spare set of Li-ion battery and problem solved.

Also, do note that the battery grip could add banding noise to the images taken as reported by some users:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: VPN and HPN / Bandings of the K10D

01-18-2008, 08:06 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Nope, IMO. It just adds weight and size to the body without any additional functionalty - the body of K10D alone is large enough and with a large hand grip position included already.

For battery life issue, just carry a spare set of Li-ion battery and problem solved.

Also, do note that the battery grip could add banding noise to the images taken as reported by some users:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: VPN and HPN / Bandings of the K10D
All of that, once again, from someone who has a total of 5 minutes max behind the viewfinder of a K10D. Silus, that is one post you really should disregard. Not because it suggests not to get it, but because of it's source. 0 credibility.
01-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #33

The consensus seems to be if you like the grip it's wonderful and if you don't it isn't. It increases the size and weight of the camera, which some people like, and allows you to take 800+ photos without changing batteries. It's really a simple decision.
01-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Is the grip worth it? YES! for me anyway. I do not have large hands but I still like the feel.

and, as Jodokast96 has mentioned... disregard RiceHigh!!! Pay attention to most everyone else's opinions pro and con, but RH doesn't have a K10D and if he has even held one he cringed before touching it.

p.s. No "banding" issues here...

Last edited by MRRiley; 01-18-2008 at 12:37 PM.
01-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've not had any vertical banding and not sure how or why the battery grip would affect sensor function.
01-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #36
kay

I love mine... another vote in favor of the grip!
01-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #37
Veteran Member

(snip) Also, do note that the battery grip could add banding noise to the images taken as reported by some users:-

(link deleted)

While you're at it, Silus, also stay away from "RiceHigh's Pentax Blog." It contains some of the most biased, twisted, inaccurate, incomplete, and deviously convoluted nonsense, all carefully packaged to appear innocent and benign, I've ever seen written about a single camera in nearly thirty years of photography. Some of that is due to an apparent, and as yet unexplained, hatred of the K10D (a camera he has never owned), with the rest due to the fact that he's primarily a Canon user (a fact rarely mentioned on his blog or in messages such as the one above).

stewart

01-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #38
Veteran Member

No additional functionality? Are you sure you have looked at the grip? It has BOTH dials, the "green" button, the shutter button, the AE-L button, the EV button. Storage for a spare SD card, AND the Pentax remote, PLUS doubles your shot count with a spare battery. I love the grip, and have not noticed any banding in any of my shots at all.
01-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #39
Veteran Member

My last SLR was a Canon T90...not a camera particularly known for its feather-light nature. My first "accessory" for my K10D is going to be a grip.
01-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
While you're at it, Silus, also stay away from "RiceHigh's Pentax Blog." It contains some of the most biased, twisted, inaccurate, incomplete, and deviously convoluted nonsense, all carefully packaged to appear innocent and benign, I've ever seen written about a single camera in nearly thirty years of photography. Some of that is due to an apparent, and as yet unexplained, hatred of the K10D (a camera he has never owned), with the rest due to the fact that he's primarily a Canon user (a fact rarely mentioned on his blog or in messages such as the one above).

stewart
Well, everyone needs a hobby, I guess. *shrugs*
01-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #41
Forum Member

i bought mine from amazon last week and got it yesterday. It does take some time to get used to. But I do love the feel and don't mind the extra weight. I also go the f remote from amazon which is also a great addition to the battery grip. I don't really have to carry anything else except a tripod.
01-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To the OP, buy one and try it - if you dig it, then you're good to go - if not send it back. I ordered one, put it on the camera, took it off a half hour later, put it in the box . . . . . . and was too lazy to send it back. It's not for me, but you might love it, as many do.

Jer
01-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #43

Intermittently Inop

I used my DBG2 for the first time a couple of days ago & noticed extreme intermittent operation of all buttons & both dials on the grip, except for the depth of field preview function. No matter how many times I jiggled the dials on both the camera & on the grip to "recenter the detents", I could only get the shutter release button to take the shot about 1 out of every 20 presses, but the depth of field function always worked. I tried removing the grip & re-seating it, cleaning the contacts, smacking it around a bit (kidding)--all the obvious fixes yielded nothing but frustration.
I imagine I have a bad unit. The owner's manual doesn't indicate anything other than checking the position of the dials.
I'm posting this in the off chance someoone else has had this problem & has a quick fix. Otherwise I'll have it repaired/replaced.
Thanks, Lagerhead--proud K10D owner
01-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by budkid Quote
i bought mine from amazon last week and got it yesterday. It does take some time to get used to. But I do love the feel and don't mind the extra weight. I also go the f remote from amazon which is also a great addition to the battery grip. I don't really have to carry anything else except a tripod.
Yeah, the grips designed for the higher-end Nikons have room for your tripod, too. But they cost more than the Pentax grip.

Will
01-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #45
Veteran Member

bought mine a week or so ago and my only regret is i didn't buy it sooner.....personally, i like the added weight as it tends to steady my (large) shakey hands a bit...... next up ?.....sigma 10-20 and a ballhead