Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2008, 05:51 AM   #1

Recommended Camera Stores in Hong Kong

Hi, I have to take a trip to Hong Kong for a few days on business, I was wondering if anyone knows or can recommend a good camera store to visit while there.

Are there any good deals there?

Thanks, Phil

01-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Phil,
Have sent you a PM.
Grant
01-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I haven't been in HK for a # of years so I am not following the prices, but I reckon any deals are good deals compared against Australia. You might visit Man Shing or Wing Shing in Mongkok, or the chain stores Boardway. There is also a store selling the most Pentax stuffs called Foto Photo Supplies Co. You can check out the addresses and phone # below. Good luck.

s()
01-18-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote
Hi, I have to take a trip to Hong Kong for a few days on business, I was wondering if anyone knows or can recommend a good camera store to visit while there.

Are there any good deals there?

Thanks, Phil
Currently, the best camera stores which sell Pentax gear have stopped to sell the K10D bodies whereas the K100D Super can be rarely found.

It seems that they have cleared all the old store to wait for something new to sell (and should be in the stock already - my wishful thinking :-))

Nevertheless, here is an updated price list with where to buy at these prices in the active link below:

Pentaxv - Pentax Qװ - DCHome.net ƽXѦa׾ *Ĥ@*ӼƽX۾ - Powered by Discuz!

01-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Some lenses are in short supply for Pentax, too. I became increasingly frustrated tracking down a DA 18-250 - "You and everyone else wants one," I was repeatedly told. Ended up paying list price (HKD4450) at Photo Scientific in Central (6 Stanley Steet). Another place well worth a visit is Wing Shing Photo Supplies in Mong Kok (55 Sai Yeung Choi Street) who are fair and well priced and friendly and really close to the MRT exit (exit D3 I think, they're just south of Argyle Street).

Stay away from the camera shops in Nathan Road, especially the southern end in Tsim Sha Tsui. The employees spend their idle time thinking up new ways to jam unsuspecting tourists. I'll admit they fleeced me many years ago on one of my first visits to Hong Kong, and it was a damn clever scam. Stay away from them! Do not even go in the stores.

Above all, have fun in my favourite city in the world. Buying photo gear there is a nice experience. Not in Nathan Road, though...
01-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, those are some really good hints and advice. I will be sure to take them on board and do my window shopping in the right places. Who knows, LBA may strike me, and if it does I want to be in the right place.

Thanks again, will update everyone when I get back.

Phil
01-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There are some good shops in the Tsim Sha Tsui near Nathan road but normally non-local guys could not find them.

One of them is Tin Cheung where goods can be sold cheaper (than Wing Shing and Man Shing) and sometimes they carried grey market Pentax goods too.

Nonetheless, if you want to visit the Pentaxian paradise, go to Foto which I think Alan has already provided the address, which is rather remote, though (must be going by bus - well, or, maybe taxi for tourists :-)).

QuoteOriginally posted by G M Fude Quote
Some lenses are in short supply for Pentax, too. I became increasingly frustrated tracking down a DA 18-250 - "You and everyone else wants one," I was repeatedly told. Ended up paying list price (HKD4450) at Photo Scientific in Central (6 Stanley Steet). Another place well worth a visit is Wing Shing Photo Supplies in Mong Kok (55 Sai Yeung Choi Street) who are fair and well priced and friendly and really close to the MRT exit (exit D3 I think, they're just south of Argyle Street).

Stay away from the camera shops in Nathan Road, especially the southern end in Tsim Sha Tsui. The employees spend their idle time thinking up new ways to jam unsuspecting tourists. I'll admit they fleeced me many years ago on one of my first visits to Hong Kong, and it was a damn clever scam. Stay away from them! Do not even go in the stores.

Above all, have fun in my favourite city in the world. Buying photo gear there is a nice experience. Not in Nathan Road, though...
01-19-2008, 04:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
There are some good shops in the Tsim Sha Tsui near Nathan road
Oh yeah, I've bought a couple of times from Suntec in Haiphong Road opposite Kowloon Park (just up from Silvercord) but there was some guanxi 關係 there -- relationships, if you like, through my company's HK General Manager. It really was the ones actually in Nathan Road I was warning about.

EDIT: I looked up the address of Foto in my HK street directory, and it couldn't be more than a AUS$5 taxi fare from, say, the Star Ferry terminal.

Last edited by G M Fude; 01-19-2008 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Added a bit