Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sell or Keep?

I recently bought a K10D, along with the grip and extra battery. I also have a K100D, which I have had for about a year. I don't think I will realistically be any many situations that I will wish I had both cameras, so I am wondering if I should sell it, and if I could get enough to make selling it worth it.

Thoughts? What would a used K100D be worth (with no lenses)? Suggestions as to where to try to sell it if I go forward?

01-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
I recently bought a K10D, along with the grip and extra battery. I also have a K100D, which I have had for about a year. I don't think I will realistically be any many situations that I will wish I had both cameras, so I am wondering if I should sell it, and if I could get enough to make selling it worth it.

Thoughts? What would a used K100D be worth (with no lenses)? Suggestions as to where to try to sell it if I go forward?
I would keep the K100 as a backup to the K10, in case repair or adjustment proves necessary.
01-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You know, I've been wondering the same thing because I'm planning to pick up a K10D to replace my K100D. But I've decided I'll keep my K100D for low light shooting. With slow lenses, I would really miss ISO 3200.
01-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have the *istD as well as the K10D. The real difference for me was that there was no way to get back anything near what I paid for the *istD, after 3 years, so I kept it.

I can't comment on the K100, and its value as a back up, because except for ISO 3200, I don't see anything it can do that the K10D can't. It does use the same memory cards which is a plus, but controls are different.

The *istD was a different story. It can do TTL flash as well, hence I can do flash photography with K mount non AE lenses. Its controls are identical to the K10D, hence it makes the most transparent back up interms of use, it does 3200 ISO. Only drawback is the CF card, but I can live with the 7GB that I have. It is also much more accurate in metering with the old lenses, a BIG plus for me.

01-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
You know, I've been wondering the same thing because I'm planning to pick up a K10D to replace my K100D. But I've decided I'll keep my K100D for low light shooting. With slow lenses, I would really miss ISO 3200.
Sorry to be off topic, but I really want to know, what kind of pictures are you taking at ISO3200.
Can you show one of them? All the shots I took at ISO800 were noisy as hell.
01-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I sold my K100D when I bought the K10D not quite a year ago. I fairly quickly regretted it. I ended up going back and buying an *ist DS, which I like well enough but which has no particular advantages over the K100D.

But I understand that money matters and, especially if your K100D is in good condition, clean, and if you have the original box and its contents, then you should be able to make enough from the sale of it to purchase another lens -- or pay a few utility bills. What's it worth? Keh.com right now (1-17-2008 2:03PM) lists a K110D in EX+ condition (not the top condition) for $340. I know that's a 110, not the 100 that you have (which has shake reduction), but in this market, there's not going to be that much of a difference in the value of the two, and keh's price is the best general indicator of the top value of an item on the used market. Except that you won't get what keh.com gets, because they're a respected dealer with a return policy, etc., and you aren't. Amazon has the K100D Super (body only) for just under $460; and buydig.com has the K100D (apparently the earlier NON-Super), body only, for just under $360. I've sold a lot of stuff on eBay and I usually hope to get something like 70% to 80% of the best cost of new. So if I were putting it up for sale here on on eBay, I'd be hoping to get as much as $300. Occasionally you can get lucky on eBay. Once I sold a used camera for more than it was selling new. But you don't know. If you put the reserve too high, people won't bid as aggressively on the item, and it may not sell. If you put the reserve low, you're likely to get more bids and if you're lucky, a bidding war will get started. But the reserve is the lowest price at which you guarantee to sell the camera. So if you set the reserve for, say, $200, and you get a bid for $201, you're required to sell. It's a tough call. eBay works best for folks who use it a lot. It helps to put together a good listing with good pictures, have sold other stuff on eBay so you have a decent rating as a seller, and so on. You might have better luck trying to sell here first, since, if you can't get the price you require, you can simply hang on to the camera and no harm done. Remember, eBay also charges a fee for their services.

Good luck,

Will
01-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
Sorry to be off topic, but I really want to know, what kind of pictures are you taking at ISO3200.
Before I post one om my many thousand 3200ISO shots, I would like to ask you a question.

Did you ever shoot 400ISO film (B&W or E6) pushed to 3200 ISO.

Are ISO 3200 shots noisy, I would have to say YES, when compared to my K10D at 100 ISO or my *istD at 200 ISO, BUT compared to film. It blows away anything you could do.

I have shots that I would never have dreamed of otherwise.
01-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I keep an ist DS and FA28-105 around just for the occasions that I want a small light package to take with me.

01-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My thoughts line up with some of what I am hearing....

1. A backup is a good idea, let alone the (for me) rare times I may want both, and not need to change lenses.
2. I want to get "enough" to make it worth selling rather than just keeping it.
3. Using the money toward another lense sounds good! The lenses I would want unfortunately will be more than I will get out of the camera, though!

Is there a means to place adds on this forum?
01-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Is there a means to place adds on this forum?
Yes, indeed. Click here, or here:

The Photographer's Marketplace - PentaxForums.com

Will
01-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
Sure, they're noisy as hell. But I cut my teeth shooting on Tri-x, which is a pretty grainy film, so I don't mind it that much. I'll grant you that noise is a lot more difficult than film grain to use as a creative effect, but I think it's a mistake to think of noise as only a deficiency. Here are a couple of recent ISO 3200 shots, with links so you can see them up close:

finishing up before bedtime on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

getting into all sorts of things on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

(Oh, and apologies to the OP for a hijacked thread...)
01-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #12

I'm generally in favour of having a backup camera, just in case, especially one that takes the same lenses and memory cards as your 'main' camera. If you have a compelling reason to sell (additional lens, utility bills as discussed) then sure, do so, but otherwise I'd say keep the K100.

My K10D backup is an istDS and if nothing else, it's considerably lighter than the K10D. There are occasions when I have selected the Backup in preference to the Main Event. Also, it makes me a little more comfortable/adventurous wielding the K10D, knowing that if something happens, I have a camera I have 2 years experience using that also takes great photos, in reserve.
01-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I sold my K100D when I bought the K10D not quite a year ago. I fairly quickly regretted it. I ended up going back and buying an *ist DS...
Will:

Luckily there are far fewer bodies to swap around compared to that long laundry list of lenses you compared, bought and sold or traded to get the ones that work for you.

I think I've finally decided NOT to get the KTenD as it does nothing my KHundredD won't do - for my shooting style. If the "next new thing" has useable 3200 or more ISO, 5 FPS or better burst of 5 or more RAW, or some other truly great thing, I would consider it though...

Oh, for the OP, I'd keep what you have as a backup. I think used would be about $275 max as it can be had for $359 after rebate new.
01-17-2008, 10:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Sorry for continuing the hijack, but Finn, those 3200 ISO pics look good. Better than I would have predicted. I have the k10d which obviously only goes to 1600. Why do you think that it was limited to 1600 when the 100D can take a more than useable picture at 3200? Is it the tradeoff for increased MP?
01-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I bought a K10D last dcember, to replace my K100, but seeing that the highest workable ISO for me was 800, I decided to keep my K100 for low light situations and macro... keep your k100!