Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2008, 09:25 AM   #16

Yes, if you have it turned on, it's on. I had mine off for months. I stroll and shoot, in and out of buildings, afternoon and evening, and I sometimes forgot to turn it on. Now, it's just on. I haven't noticed any drop in battery so if there is any it's insignificant.

01-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
so could SR theoreticaly be on even during the 1/4000 sec shots?
It is probably ON but not active unless it senses a long lens. You have to realize that SR is a function of both shutter speed AND focal length. It is obviously more important on telephoto lenses due to the larger degree of apparent movement. Face it, you probably shake just as much using a heavy wide angle lens as when you use a heavy telephoto, but the identical degree of movement is much more noticable in the telephoto.
01-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

The battery consumption would logically be the same regardless of SR status. Since even if the SR is off, the sensor is suspended in the same magnetic field as is used by the SR. The only difference being that instead of counteracting the cameras movement it will hold the sensor in a fixed position, pretty much using maximum force in both cases.
01-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Turning the SR on or the time will waste battery power and create a little bit more shaking by the background noise of the SR system itself, unless the shutter speed is fast enough to get these ignored (still,you will waste the power juice). Just check my quick test made long ago:-

RiceHigh's Pentax K100D Full Review
Reading that short extract from your blog it's plain to see that you do not fully understand the principles of feedback and control systems. Even with SR off the feedback system is still active and controlling the position of the sensor it simply is not being fed the additional information provided by the movement sensors. There will be some additional power used when SR is active but unless the system is actively counteracting significant degrees of camera body movement when using a short tele or longer the extra power consumption would be insignificant compared to the normal holding power.

01-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
It is probably ON but not active unless it senses a long lens. You have to realize that SR is a function of both shutter speed AND focal length. It is obviously more important on telephoto lenses due to the larger degree of apparent movement. Face it, you probably shake just as much using a heavy wide angle lens as when you use a heavy telephoto, but the identical degree of movement is much more noticable in the telephoto.
so my question then is when does SR actually activiate? What are the perameters that the camera processes to determine whether it needs to be activated.
01-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
so my question then is when does SR actually activiate? What are the perameters that the camera processes to determine whether it needs to be activated.
When you flip the SR switch to ON and half press the shutter. When it's on, it's activated and constantly working to keep it steady. There are no parameters for it to determine. You do that by flipping the switch. Best test I could run right now was 18mm at 1/200 and 50mm at 1/2000 or both at 1/180 with flash and all of them gave me the SR being active.
01-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

When it's on and given sufficient time to stabilize before the shutter is fully depressed I suspect. The SR system should care what the shutter speed is, its job is to alter the position of the sensor relative to the camera body movement and lens FL.
01-18-2008, 11:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
Reading that short extract from your blog it's plain to see that you do not fully understand the principles of feedback and control systems. Even with SR off the feedback system is still active and controlling the position of the sensor it simply is not being fed the additional information provided by the movement sensors. There will be some additional power used when SR is active but unless the system is actively counteracting significant degrees of camera body movement when using a short tele or longer the extra power consumption would be insignificant compared to the normal holding power.
I see your point. But whether the "additional power" is "neglectable" is actually unconfirmable. The whole moving/driving mechanism and computing / data processing can be very power consumed.

Also, as for power is drained all the time for the floating sensor (to hold its position), I am agreed with you.

As in my review, my posted pair of pictures just show that the SR-ed picture is a little bit blurrier than the one taken with SR turned off. If I have to explain this, it's just that the SR introduce the blur. Afterall, I would recommend to turn off the SR when one can hand held - so, why be so lazy to do so? :-) It only has advantages and no disadvantages afterall and there is a SR swtich here, isn't it?

01-19-2008, 02:23 AM   #24
Pentaxian

SR does work, I suggest you do a retest with more than two pictures and you will find that SR ON will give you a higher ratio of keepers.
01-19-2008, 04:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
SR does work, I suggest you do a retest with more than two pictures and you will find that SR ON will give you a higher ratio of keepers.
Who says SR doesn't work? My point made above is very simple: Turn off the SR when(ever) it is not needed! See? :-)
01-19-2008, 05:16 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Who says SR doesn't work?
You do. And I qoute "Turning the SR on or the time will waste battery power and create a little bit more shaking by the background noise of the SR system itself,"
01-19-2008, 06:35 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I see your point. But whether the "additional power" is "neglectable" is actually unconfirmable. The whole moving/driving mechanism and computing / data processing can be very power consumed.
Well it's not really unconfirmable, if I could be bothered I could confirm exactly the power it consumed (assuming that it were significant enough not to get lost in measurement noise which I doubt it is).

Also, as for power is drained all the time for the floating sensor (to hold its position), I am agreed with you.
Fair enough, I'm glad we agree on this.

As in my review, my posted pair of pictures just show that the SR-ed picture is a little bit blurrier than the one taken with SR turned off. If I have to explain this, it's just that the SR introduce the blur. Afterall, I would recommend to turn off the SR when one can hand held - so, why be so lazy to do so? :-) It only has advantages and no disadvantages afterall and there is a SR swtich here, isn't it?
OK I agree in part, you will see if you read back though the early discussions regarding the operation of the SR system on various fora that I was one of the first if not the first poster postulating system noise as the likely reason that SR may indeed introduce blur when a camera is tripod mounted. However I would be very very surprised if any such system noise introduced more instability in the system than the very steadiest person shooting hand held. And when shooting short exposures movement either induced by noise feeding to the SR mech or by hand holding is negligible obviously.

So I see no reason to turn SR off apart from when the camera is tripod mounted, it's not a case of laziness, just practicality, another operation of dubious worth to distract me from my photography.