Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

When does SR kick in?

below what shutter speed does SR kick in on the K100D, or is it always on regardless

is there ever a benefit to turning it off?

01-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
below what shutter speed does SR kick in on the K100D, or is it always on regardless

It has no effect with flash photography because the duration of the exposure is short enough to stop any motion, even yours. SR is always on after you turn it on. You should turn it off when using the camera on a fixed mount such as a tripod - SR/IS/VR or whatever is known on occasion to introduce movement on a tripod trying to take the shake out of something that is not moving.

I have SR turned on at all times, except on tripods and such. What it does allow me to do is hand hold my camera at at least two stops below my normal hand holding shutter speeds. I still must be very careful not to bang down the shutter release and release gently, but I have taken shots at speeds that are next to impossible without SR.
01-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've always assumed that it kicks in when the shutter speed hits the magical 1/Focal Length. Interesting question, I wonder if there is anyway to test it....
01-18-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
Forum Member

I've seen handheld 1 second exposures taken with SR on that are crystal clear. I do not think there is a upper limit to the shutter speed at which SR is effective. Instead, I believe the effectiveness is bound to the ability of the photographer to keep any movement of the camera small enough that the SR can compensate. As exposure length increases, the intensity of the muscle spasms even a very strong person will incur holding a weight as heavy as a K10D will increase. If some statuesque individual can handhold a K10D for 30s without moving the camera more than 1/10 of a cm at any time, though, the shot should still come out nice and sharp.

01-18-2008, 12:09 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhamemr Quote
I've always assumed that it kicks in when the shutter speed hits the magical 1/Focal Length. Interesting question, I wonder if there is anyway to test it....
Sure.
The shake reduction information is stored in EXIF.
Even the result (successful, not successful) is stored there.
Take some pictures in manual mode with varying shutter speeds and check EXIF later.
Also I'm not 100% sure, but I kind of remember the little shake-reduction hand icon in viewfinder is not on all the time, even if SR is on. Can't check atm.
01-18-2008, 03:11 AM   #6

Another thing is if you're using the 2 sec delay, it turns off the SR automatically.
01-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Keep in mind you have to depress the shutter button halfway for a second before it kicks in. You'll see the little hand icon light up in the viewfinder when it does. That means fast shooting = no SR (sometimes).

01-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

We don't know as there is no indicator on its activation nor the amount of shake which it is able to compensate or not (unlike Sony DSLRs which have such indications).

Turning the SR on or the time will waste battery power and create a little bit more shaking by the background noise of the SR system itself, unless the shutter speed is fast enough to get these ignored (still,you will waste the power juice). Just check my quick test made long ago:-

RiceHigh's Pentax K100D Full Review
01-18-2008, 07:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

What are you talking about RH? It can't waste that much juice and again nobody needs to go to your blog to find out because the data isn't true half the time.

The honest truth is you won't loose that much power using SR on or off, but keeping it on will give you the benefit of being able to handhold shots below the typical rule of focal length/shutter speed. Leave it on unless you put it on a tripod because on a tripod it may add shake cause there isn't any to begin with.
01-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
What are you talking about RH? It can't waste that much juice and again nobody needs to go to your blog to find out because the data isn't true half the time.

The honest truth is you won't loose that much power using SR on or off, but keeping it on will give you the benefit of being able to handhold shots below the typical rule of focal length/shutter speed. Leave it on unless you put it on a tripod because on a tripod it may add shake cause there isn't any to begin with.
Do you recommend to turn on the SR all the time to the OP unless the camera is mounted on a tripod, then?

My point is simple: Turn off the SR when you don't need it. Keeping it turned on all the time with have no advantages but just disadvantages, which I have mentioned in my last reply.
01-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Here's the deal - Leave SR on at all times. If you mount the camera to a tripod, use the 2sec delay which will automatically shut off the SR anyway.

The only time you really need to turn SR off is if you're going to be doing panning shots down at the track or something. Maybe evcen bird in flight tracking or something but, that's about it. Period.
01-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If SR is ON them its there when you need it and doesn't activate when you don't. I know I'm not sensitive enough to tell when I need it and when I don't. I also don't want to have to think about it before each and every shot. Just leave it on and trust the sensors in your camera to decide when it is needed.

As for power usage.... Even if it does use significantly more juice, thats what rechargable batteries and backup batteries are for...

I guess RH has precognition and extraordinary senses which help him know before hand when he'll need SR and when he wont, but I imagine those senses work just as well as his testing mythodology.

Wonder what that little "shaky hand" thingy is in the lower left of the viewfinder? Could it be... Ah, it is... It's an SR indicator...

Last edited by MRRiley; 01-18-2008 at 08:50 AM.
01-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
We don't know as there is no indicator on its activation
Really? Funny, mine does, but then you'd have to actually have had and used one to know that.
01-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #14
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by procyon Quote
Sure.
The shake reduction information is stored in EXIF.
Even the result (successful, not successful) is stored there.
Take some pictures in manual mode with varying shutter speeds and check EXIF later.
Also I'm not 100% sure, but I kind of remember the little shake-reduction hand icon in viewfinder is not on all the time, even if SR is on. Can't check atm.
+1 with procyon on all accounts. (I wish Lightroom would show that exif info) Will come on anytime shake is detected, regardless of focal length selected on a zoom, if you have it switched on of course. Watch for the hand in the lower left hand corner of the viewfinder, that's when SR is doing it's thing. If you're -really- experienced, good and stable there will be times when it doesn't come on. However, I'm not (very few of those instances). Most of my handheld shots using my Biggerma lens in indirect sunlight were successful only because of SR.
01-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so could SR theoreticaly be on even during the 1/4000 sec shots?