Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Identifying lenses used

Although I only own two manual lenses, I sometimes forget to set the proper focal length in the cameras. This means it can later be difficult to identify which lens I used, since they also just show up a "A type lens" (or something along those lines) in Lightroom.

Is it not possible to check this in some way? Preferably multiple sets of photos so I don't have to check one by one.

05-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

On my K20D, I leave the SR switch set to ON, and I always power the camera OFF when I change lenses. With a new manual lens on the camera, I switch power ON, and the SR'bot asks me to input the focal length. Thus the camera knows (and retains in EXIF data) at least what focal length I'm using, if not specifically which lens, since I use rather many lenses of the same focal lengths. If I want to clearly identify the lens, I photograph it, either with the prior lens, or in a mirror. This is more convenient than keeping a log book of data per shot.
05-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the same problem, but I have many , all manual M42 and PK and PKA , lenses.
I believe that the lens needs to have a chip inside to be identifiable and that's rather recent thing.
....so I am afraid that not much we can do here

kind regards
jack
05-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Although I only own two manual lenses, I sometimes forget to set the proper focal length in the cameras. This means it can later be difficult to identify which lens I used, since they also just show up a "A type lens" (or something along those lines) in Lightroom.

Is it not possible to check this in some way? Preferably multiple sets of photos so I don't have to check one by one.
I don't think that's much of a problem but I do wish I can set the focal length more exactly. For example, I have a Tamron 90mm macro and Rokinon 85/1.4. My K20D has 85mm then steps up to 100mm, if I happen to take both these lenses out together and use them both, setting them both at 85mm can be confusing especially if I do not look at the images right away. Still, it's a minor annoyance at best.

05-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
On my K20D, I leave the SR switch set to ON, and I always power the camera OFF when I change lenses
If you let your camera remember the drive mode, that will not save you if you have used the 2s timer.

From recent experience on my K10D
05-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies - I didnt put my hopes to high up but who knows, maybe there was a solution.

RioRico: I do the same thing but I also frequently turn on/off my camera, so I've developed a habit of jumping ahead from the focal length screen without looking, since most of the time same lens is still attached to the cam.

And when things get a bit hectic on top of that, then that's when I get from focal info embedded in my files :P
05-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Solution to that is simple - don't turn off your camera no reason.

05-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The reason have been to save battery But perhaps I've been too sensitive about it.
05-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A DSLR uses next to no electricity when you're not actually using it, and in any event, it shuts itself off after a minute or so (I think there is a custom option to control this). You don't save a thing by turning the camera off; in fact, you probably come out behind, because the boot up routine and the dust removal the camera does upon being switched on probably uses more than its share of power. Leave the power switch on except when changing lenses and you'll only see the SR menu uopn lens change, so you won't tend to ignore it.
05-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

You could tape a small piece of paper with the focal length written on it, on the inside of the lens cap. Then remove the cap when you change lenses and photograph it per RioRico's suggestion.
05-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I shoot primarily with lenses that do not identify themselves to the camera. My solution has been to edit the EXIF data after the fact using ExifTool by Phil Harvey. Although the basic tool has a non-graphical interface and uses the command line, a graphical user interface is available (LINK). With ExifTool you can edit pretty much the entire metadata set that may be embedded in the image file. I regularly use it to input lens data and, for film scans, camera and date info as well.

In terms of work flow, it is easiest to do the ExifTool work before the import into Lightroom, though not impossible to do it afterwards. I would suggest downloading both ExifTool and ExifToolGUI (you need both to get the graphical interface) and playing with it until you are comfortable with what it can do.

Steve

P.S. Many thanks to tuco for putting me on to this tool a couple of years back.

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-19-2012 at 09:17 AM.