Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #1

An easy way to test the focus on the k-x?

I've seen a few of those "card" things around a few places on line.

Do I have to get one of those, or is there an easy way. My auto focus seems to be off a bit with both stationary and moving objects.

I remember there is a way to tweak it in the firmware, but I'd rather not mess with that unless I'm sure that's it.

05-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF Fine Adjustment does only exist on K7 and K5 as far as i know.
I looked at my KX ( I do have the latest firmware 1.03) and I can not find it in Menus.
that is correct, just googled it:
K-x AF Focusing Position Adjustment | Pentax Support
that is the official Pentax position, I have heard about people getting into firmware and enabling DEBUG_MODE but I personally do not know anyone who managed to do it successfully.
Plus that could be only useful if you have one lens only, there is no memory store option for multiple lenses like on K7 or K5.
05-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To tell whether or not your focus is on, you can do several things. I personally use live view to test it like here: AF microadjustment for the 1Ds mark III, 1D Mk3, 5D Mk2, 7D.

If your focus is off, about the only thing you can do with the kx is send it in to Pentax (or the makers of your lenses) with the lenses and have it adjusted.
05-13-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I have heard about people getting into firmware and enabling DEBUG_MODE but I personally do not know anyone who managed to do it successfully.
I have done it and it improved focus for me. You can change the global offset, but cannot change the offset for individual lenses. I didn't really notice it till I got the FA 31. After changing the offset to suit the FA31 I noticed that the focusing improved for other lenses as well. Mine came from the factory with an offset of +20. I ended up with -90. So Quality control did pick up that the AF was out of whack, instead of fixing it properly, they decided to ship it with a software adjustment, which made the problem worse. That was what Pentax was like under Hoya. Hope it gets better with Riicoh.

Last edited by selar; 05-13-2012 at 06:28 AM.
05-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Zis
A test like this
https://www.box.com/s/4b0bfd7061a60fdfde59

On ist ds (I don't know about the the others) to get debug mode hold down <info> and <ae-l> while switch on
Then in 5 seconds press <menu>...<menu>...<info> . To enable DEBUG , select <EN>, the debug menus.
Then turn the camera off.
Next switch ON you should have AF TEST in the Set-up menu In that, step down to <Focus Corr.>which has the micro adjustment bar

You have to do the above and disable <DIS> the debug menus to remove the DEBUGS from setup menu.