Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Stop-down problem with K-x

Hello all..
I'm Italian and I know I can't speak english very well. I've just registered beacuse I have a great (strange?) problem about the stop-down metering ONLY at f3.5 and lowers with the 50mm pentax-m f1.7 and 28mmm pentax-m f3.5: when framing a very light scene (even a blue sky at noon!), I press the green button to perform the stop-down metering and the camera always suggests me 0.3" as shutter speed. The only way to use these lens at these apertures is to adjust the shutter speed manually, without rely on the exposure meter. Few days ago I updated the firmware (1.03), but I can't remember if I had this problem before.
I use only these lens (for study and work)... All suggestions are welcome!

05-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had this problem and I THINK it means that the fastest shutter speed still isn't fast enough for a correct exposure, so you'll need to drop your aperture or ISO and then meter again.

Then again you say you can use them by adjusting the speed manually, so I dunno. This is the general idea I've gotten from the problem over the time I've had my K-x though.
05-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
I've had this problem and I THINK it means that the fastest shutter speed still isn't fast enough for a correct exposure, so you'll need to drop your aperture or ISO and then meter again.

Then again you say you can use them by adjusting the speed manually, so I dunno. This is the general idea I've gotten from the problem over the time I've had my K-x though.
I tried to adjust ISO and aperture but it still gave me the same shutter speed. Adjusting it manually lets me to use the lens completely manually. I also noticed that the problem not always occurs: rarely the stop-down metering works as expected. It seems to be a kind of a bug. Is it possible?
05-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it is a bug of the K-x, as far as I can tell. What it does actually tell you is that the combination of aperture and ISO selected is anyway too bright and you probably don't want that. If shooting at ISO 100 and wide open still gives you headaches, try a 2-stop ND filter (a polarizer also works).

05-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, it still gives me 0.3". Maybe the correct behaviour would be to suggest the fastest shutter speed, not 0.3"! It seems I'll have to come to terms with that..
Thank you for your answers.
05-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aeldrhamir Quote
Yes, it still gives me 0.3". Maybe the correct behaviour would be to suggest the fastest shutter speed, not 0.3"!
The correct behavior would be to flash an error rather than suggest a speed that will not work. This problem has stumped a number of k-x users over the years. I do not remember ever hearing about it on the k-r, so maybe they changed it.
05-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aeldrhamir Quote
I'm Italian and I know I can't speak english very well.
And there is nothing wrong with your English, better than many school graduates here these days.