Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Salesmen make stuff up... all the time.

Their job is to make the sale (or just clock in the hours if they aren't on commission), not to run a public information service. They will tell you anything if it increases their chance to make a sale (or to make you go away if they aren't on commission). To believe anything else is naive I'm sorry. Once you think about what motivates people you can figure out why the say and do what they say and do.
Exactly.

05-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Salesmen make stuff up... all the time.
...and folks who re-relate salesmen stories, don't?

While all of this speculation is good clean fun, nothing's happening here worth acting on... move along.

Cheers...
05-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I have yet to hear anything reliable from a camera sales person with regards to manufacturer information. In fact, with all of the sites such as DPReview and the rumor channels etc. It's highly unlikely that a sales person would ever know more than we do.

I can't count the number of times I've heard the old Pentax is going out of business line from sales people. In fact... when I was shopping for a D700 several years back, the manager of the store told me that the K20D was likely the last Pentax model they would carry given that the company was on the way out. When I asked him how he knew this, he told me that a reliable source from from Pentax Canada told him this. Needless to say... the end would undoubtedly following the Kx, K7, Kr and K5 all of which this same store manager ended-up stocking on his shelves afterward.

Anyways, longs story short, I gave-up listening to sales people a long time ago.
05-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #19
Site Supporter

The people on the forum who know something (I am sure there are at least two cameras in beta testing as we speak) aren't saying anything and the people who are talking the most, know the least. The best we have is ogl's guess/statement that there will be a K200 sequel released by the end of this month -- that is a camera with higher specs than the kr and weather sealing, but lower price by a couple of hundred dollars. Doesn't sound particularly exciting to me, but I am guessing that and then a K5 sequel with 24 megapixel sensor from Sony this fall.

I personally doubt FF this year -- at best a mockup is shown this fall with a scheduled release in spring of next year.

05-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I expect pentax to stick with dslrs for they would be foolish to alienate their existing customers. I think full frame is inevitable seeing as how a lot of people will switch as costs plummet. Once FF starts becoming cheaper than 2000, high end aps bodies won't be. Competetive anymore. The writing is on the wall. Aps will survive in mirrorless, but for the dslrs, I can see them all being ff in 10. Years. Its what the manufacturers and consumers wanted all along. Aps is just a stop gap imo. I don't see why you couldn't make a ff camera k5 sized.....
05-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
September in Cologne, it will all happen there at Photokina.
In 2002 I had only once the opportunity to visit that remarkable event.
anyone going that way in September, pop-in, it is well worthy:
photokina | Home
and bring back some exiting news about new Pentax products
05-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I agree with RioRico, except I believe the GXR/Ricoh branded cameras will be absorbed/dead in the near future. At the 2012 CP+ show, the Ricoh stuff wasn't very exciting and didn't generate much buzz. There really isn't too much differences in the Optios and the P/S Ricohs. So it's logical to cease/combine certain Ricoh production lines.

I think Ricoh then took those talented "out of the box" GXR designers and made a place for them inside of Pentax. Then, once those folks were "safe", Ricoh handed over the cameras to Pentax.

That pretty much said everything to me.

I think the Ricoh designers were given new projects inside Pentax and everyone is happy.

I know if I was a GXR designer, and I was offered the chance to work on the K5 replacement or FF camera, I would jump at that opportunity!!!

Pentax has alot going on, and if the FF comes true, all the neat stuff that is going on would make the GXR utterly useless.
looks like Ricoh branded stuff is sticking around for at least one more season Lauren

Ricoh issues camera brand statement | Photography news - Camera news, photo news and photography events | Amateur Photographer
05-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks folks,
Basically I had the same impression that Pentax will stick around with their DLSRs, I was just checking to make sure I didn't miss anything. Also I had the feeling the sales guy was just doing whatever it took to get me to switch to Nikon. I am just amazed about the level of nonsense they mix in with facts.

I am a consultant where my job is to inform/educate clients to my best ability. Sales people act like consultants, but basically just want to make a sale....

05-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
Thanks folks,
Basically I had the same impression that Pentax will stick around with their DLSRs, I was just checking to make sure I didn't miss anything. Also I had the feeling the sales guy was just doing whatever it took to get me to switch to Nikon. I am just amazed about the level of nonsense they mix in with facts.

I am a consultant where my job is to inform/educate clients to my best ability. Sales people act like consultants, but basically just want to make a sale....
most salespeople are driven by either commission or sales targets their job relies on. So yep they will spout crap to close the sale now rather than at some future date (you will occasionally find a decent one though but it isn't easy)
Given the numerous pretty hard rumours of 4 dslr being announced by year end i think Ricoh is going the opposite way and introducing more DSLR
05-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I must say that the camera salespeople in a shop here are competent (speaking for a local store and the main one). Looks like we're lucky.
05-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
Some consultants are like that as well. I've run into them before. Gives our profession a bad name, just like Hunt's salesdroids :-P
05-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
looks like Ricoh branded stuff is sticking around for at least one more season Lauren

Ricoh issues camera brand statement | Photography news - Camera news, photo news and photography events | Amateur Photographer
Probably true in the short run. Ultimately, the spin control of "No way, we are keeping the Ricoh brand around" is designed to ease the short term fears of the Ricoh folks.

On the flip side, I was prepared to see if Ricoh was going to kill Pentax in the early days of the buyout. I was even prepared to continue buying "Ricoh" branded products if they still had the "soul" of Pentax.

I think in the future, you will probably still see "Ricoh" cameras, but they will become more "Pentaxian" as a reflection on them being part of the "Pentax" camera division.

I pay the bills and buy camera gear based on my day job, which is for a large multi-national company. I work in product development and I work at home. When we buy a company, we take some time to see who are the stellar performers, and who are the gifted developers. Those developers and performers are usually asked to join teams with the greatest potential, and leave their old positions, as those old positions become "legacy". My team as part of development, has had the opportunity to "skim" the best and leave the rest.

I've been asked to be a professional photographer on several occasions, but the salary would be minuscule compared to what I make in my "real" job. I was "skimmed" into my current position, while people I used to work with, are still doing the same legacy jobs. When the husband finishes his Ph.D is when I might give up "making money" and do photography full time. I digress here a bit, so back to Pentax.

I have no doubt that Ricoh understood that the Pentax developers far outclassed their Ricoh counterparts. I have no doubt there will be Ricoh products in the future, but the real good stuff will be over at Pentax - and Pentax branded cameras.
05-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Now that Pentax is coming back into stores - as in the brick and mortar type - you will start to see sales people "pretending" to know what is going on.
Funny, so in essence the sales people at these stores are no different than the users here on the forums.
05-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Funny, so in essence the sales people at these stores are no different than the users here on the forums.
Exactly!
05-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Except that most of the users here, when stating a supposed path, precede the statement with an, "I think . . .," and none of us claims to be in a position of knowledge and inside information, such as a salesman in a camera store would be when whispering, "Pentax is phasing out dSLR's. Buy this Nikon if you know what's good for you long term.".