Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

External HSS Flash Pentax K-x

Hello,
I need some gear advice. I have a Pentax K-x.
My plan is to shoot in sunlight with an external Flash and a small aperture. However the Pentax is limited to 1/180 shutter speed for normal flashes. The solution would be High Speed Sync. I also need to fire that flash wireless.(radio not with the on camera flash)
So my question is:
Is there a flash that is manual (I don't need an automatic flash), supports HSS and would leave me the option to switch to Canon or Nikon in a few years?(I might want to upgrade my camera in a few years, but dont want to buy new flash gear...)
I would buy the canon 430 ex but i think the HSS would not work on my pentax(?)
And how do I get this flash wireless (radio transmitter) that still supports the HSS?
Right now i have a yongnuo yn 460 ii and some cheap kind of wireless transmitter, which I really like, but it doesnt support HSS.
I am sorry if this is a bit confusing.
Anton

05-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Pentax body + wireless radio triggers + pTTL (including HSS) = impossible

Either you need to work around the problem (IR/popup trigger or long pTTL cable or ND filters) or change systems.

Last edited by twitch; 05-13-2012 at 09:14 PM.
05-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Pretty much what Twitch said.

Just invest in ND Filters. Maybe a 3 stop and a 6 stop. Either that or a mid/high end ND Fader 2-8 stop.
05-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you can, jump to the good stuff.

Elinchrom Ranger Quadra RX To Go Speed "A" Case Set Battery Flash Systems 10291.1 - Vistek Canada Product Detail

Went to a photoshoot with a Canon full frame shooter and we shot overpowering the sun/sunset and his results with this system always got oohs and awes from the models.

05-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Brooke Meyer

See this.
05-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
First of all thank you guys for the help!
I thought about an ND filter, but i think i would need pretty strong flash power to compensate the ND.
@Pentaxtic I couldn't watch the video yet, because I am in school, but does the radio transmitter work with the Pentax?
I also think the transmitter itself only goes up to 1/1000. I could safe up for this set, but since I am a high school student i would appreciate a cheaper solution
@Brooke I will look the lr02 up when i am home.
05-14-2012, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
D0n
Banned

why do you feel you need high speed sync and range like this?

if you're in good light, you shouldn't need the flash at all..
you ever wonder what they've been doing in hollywood for decades?
big reflectors and water.... yes water... watch a movie sometimes... they'll flood streets and parking lots with water to reduce contrast in a scene (esp stunt scenes with cars) because all the wet surfaces reflect light and scatter it (also to reduce traction for stunt car driving )....

so you could under some circumstances set up some kind of reflector and skip the flash setup entirely...
I've used bedsheets and wire, a stand up white tent, and sheets of white painted plywood/ stryofoam as reflectors for video shoots on various locations...

if depth of feild is the issue.. remember you got the option of using a wider lens up close with a wider aperture as well...
05-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

+1 for reflectors. This is where a cute assistant comes in handy. You do have one of those right?

Kidding aside your other options are like others said a really expensive and elaborate flash setup or nd filters. You could also use a slow zoom @ 100 and stop down a bit to try to get below 180. Best to try with iso 100. Really if you have that much light you shouldn't need a flash. I have a metz 54 that I picked up cheap. With the diffuser its not bad as fill and will easily overpower sunlight. Its not as versatile as a happerhead, but it can be rotated to bounce off a ceiling in portrait and landscape. Its my preferred tool for when I need a flash, which I abhorr usually, but depending on what you are shooting (an event) it gives you the shot you might have missed with even an f2 lens. Find what works for you, but really a fast 50 and a bounce are all you need to get good lighting and dof. Natural is always better. Shadow is ok if used properly. It usually gives some dimension to the shot. You just want to avoid the harsh shadows of direct sunlight, but even. That's ok. Sometimes. Sorry for any typos. Stupid phone. Hope that helps.

05-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
Forum Member

This kind of thing is usually done by using a strong ND filter and portable studio flashes. But like others already said, reflector is your friend
05-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by antone Quote
@Pentaxtic I couldn't watch the video yet, because I am in school, but does the radio transmitter work with the Pentax?
I also think the transmitter itself only goes up to 1/1000. I could safe up for this set, but since I am a high school student i would appreciate a cheaper solution
Yup the skyport transmitter can work on my Pentax k10d hotshoe.
05-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
@pentaxtic how fast can you go up with the shutter speed?
05-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
D0n
Banned

the skyports won't give you highspeed sync... in fact on the k10 with older flash units, you may not even be able to go as fast as 1/180 sec.... i usually go with 1/125 sec or slower on my cameras...
05-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is a realistic budget? The easiest way to get what you want is obviously two Pentax flashes, and the cheapest route there is about $450. You can probably find capable Sigma or Metz units for a little less. If you are looking for a $100 solution, my guess is you'd better start loading up on reflectors.
05-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let me help you out

I shoot HSS all the time. Easiest way use a PTTL Sync Cord and set your flash to HSS sync. If you are planning a jumping brands go with a metz flash that allows you to use on all camera brands simply by buying the camera adapter.

But yes you can do HSS sync with Pentax using a Cord or you can do it with two Metz flashes one set as master on your camera and one set to slave. The metz flashes with fire with HSS wireless but Pentax flashes will not. You can also use a Pentax flast as the master on your camera and the Metz as a slave flash.

The only pentax with built in Wireless sync is the Pentax ist D
05-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by antone Quote
@pentaxtic how fast can you go up with the shutter speed?
Max speed I believe is 1/180 on the K10D.