Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Problem - My pictures have lines

New on the post so I hope I am in the correct area...

I have a istD SLR pentax that is about 3 years old. Just lately I am taking pictures and there are lines in my pictures.

Anyone have this problem?

Cleaning problem or something more serious?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Dani

01-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #2

Can you post any sample pictures? -- My guess would be that there's something wrong with your camera's processing between the CCD and image processor.

It could be some wires coming off the ccd have been crossed by dust, or your CCD could be going bad.

You may try getting someone to clean out the body, in case the issue is dust.
01-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
sample pict with "lines"

yes trying to figure that out now... how to post a picture... working on it...now.....
01-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Here is a link to look at some sample pictures (see album that is titled "pictures with lines". I cropped some really tight so you can see them really well. The ones that dont have any lines were taken within seconds of the ones with lines... I plan on getting a cleaning soon. I dont know if that is it... thanks for checking it out.

Picasa Web Albums - dani

Ok so Like I said I am new at this.

01-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to Pentax Forums both Dani, and khawkins

Dani, those images are really a little too small for anyone to really inspect.

If you can't find a image host that will let you post larger pictures you can e-mail me one at stu at bcscenicwonder dot com, and I'll save it to my site for a couple of days.

Please do your best to save it with all the photograph information. Picasa deletes it from the images.
If necessary my mailbox is big enough to handle the picture taken right from the camera
01-17-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dani, looked at the pics and saw the lines you're referring to. Not sure what's causing 'em, but, if you haven't already, try a different memory card and make sure it's not the culprit.

Since the lines go clear across the pics I doubt it's dust on the sensor.
01-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
little laker. you can get a closer look of you click on the album and then click on each picture... thank you for looking at these for me!

CHIP B... Thanks for taking a look. I need to start trying different things I guess. I will try a new card, that is a great idea. It isnt consistanly happening, so HOPEFULLY it is something like that....

THANK YOU!! I have to put my 3 year old to bed and maybe try things this weekend. I will let you know. Thanks again!

01-18-2008, 04:54 AM   #8

If it is the same problem I had about a year ago with my *istDS. Your anti-aliasing filter may have slipped (I did it to myself by trying to clean my sensor).
A quick send in to Pentax (I recommend spending the extra for rush service) and haven't had a problem since. Needless to say I don't touch that thing anymore.

Stephanie
01-18-2008, 05:52 AM   #9

Try another card reader. If card reader is faulty, it could cause horizontal lines.
01-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have picked a few randomly selected pics from your albums and could not see the lines you mentioned.

I had an *ist D long ago and used for taking about 9,000 photos and there was no lines found in a single picture.

In contrast, the only Pentax DSLR which have been widely reported to have lines shown in pics (aka bandings, pattern noises or etc.) is just the K10D:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: VPN and HPN / Bandings of the K10D

QuoteOriginally posted by Dani22 Quote
New on the post so I hope I am in the correct area...

I have a istD SLR pentax that is about 3 years old. Just lately I am taking pictures and there are lines in my pictures.

Anyone have this problem?

Cleaning problem or something more serious?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Dani
01-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Not only blind in thought, but now literally blind to, huh?
01-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I had something like that, I immediately thought the sensor was broken. Then I noticed the lines were in different places and sometimes not there at all. It turned out to be my card reader. You can try using the cable to download straight from the camera. The other suggestions about using a different card are also good. I'd even try another USB port if the problem persists.
01-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I agree with the others to try a different card first. Next try a different method of reading the card. If it's still there, it's a camera defect (someone mentioned the AA filter). Did it only occur in your snow shots i.e. it could be related to cold weather. (That's still not acceptable, though.)
01-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Okay, don't know why some folks can't see those lines but they are very obvious in several of the photos.

Dani, one thing I noticed right off. All of those shots appear to have been taken outside in the snow and cold. Do you have any taken under warmer conditions? If you do and the shots from warmer days/environments do not show those same lines I would hazard a guess that the sensor doesn't like the cold. Take some shots inside and see what happens...
01-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crttr Quote
If it is the same problem I had about a year ago with my *istDS. Your anti-aliasing filter may have slipped (I did it to myself by trying to clean my sensor).
A quick send in to Pentax (I recommend spending the extra for rush service) and haven't had a problem since. Needless to say I don't touch that thing anymore.

Stephanie
yes.. spending 100-150 dollars repairing a camera that will barely pull 300 on the used market is a great idea!

at this point if no sensor cleaning or memory car replacing fixes the problem, id recomend simply getting a new camera.