Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi ABCWinter & Lowell,

I guess it all depends on what actually constitutes the definition 'weather resistant' ? I assume that if for example, a watch is allowed to be described by a manufacturer as 'waterproof', it would have to comply with stringent ISO submersible testing requirements, before it could be legally marketed as such. I don't know about you, but I'm afraid I'm not quite ready to sacrifice my K10D in the interests of science by subjecting it to a thorough 'dunking'. On the other hand, I don't think I'd be too concerned if a few raindrops were to occasionally fall on it's bodywork ! I'm not normally in the habit of taking photographs in rainy conditions like many sports or press photographers often have to do and as I don't currently possess any of Pentax's DA-series lenses, I will continue to keep my photographic equipment as dry as possible under normal circumstances !

Best regards
Richard
richard.

I went and looked to see if I could find anywhere the environmental sealing standard for the camera and couldnt. By not referencing a standard, there is of course no gaurantee other than it can resist splashes. If it had a formal IP rating, like my GPS which is specifically rated

Water resistant: IEC 60529 IPX7 standards things would be different

01-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Also, there is a way that Pentax could have added some level of weather sealing to the camera that would have benefited ALL lenses to some extent, as well as the camera. The lens mount should have been modified slightly to include a spring-loaded teflon seal. It would not have changed the fact that the lens itself was not weather-sealed but it would have prevented water intrusion right at the electronics contacts as well as the closest entry into the camera. And of course doing so would have not affected the compatability of any of the lenses. But, I get paid to think like that about seals, Pentax gets paid to make cameras.
Pentax undertook to design a "sealed" camera hence should have employed someone to think about appropriate sealing. They should also have had some bodies sacrificially IP tested. But I agree about the potential to add a sealing mechanism to the camera mount, it wouldn't have been at all difficult. But I guess in doing so they would have had to deal with a barrage of complaints that "non-sealed" lenses allowed water intrusion via other more vulnerable points of entry.
01-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Idiot resistant

The following thread (on another forum) is a great example of what can happen when information is misconstrued. Essentially a K10D took a spill into some mud and was then washed off and still worked, however there is no later follow up to indicate how it fared after the initial dunking. I'd speculate that the mud got into a lot of places that it shouldn't have seals or not. This mud and grit would eventually pass the seals on moving controls (due to its abrasive nature) which would lead to failures through dust deposition and/or corrosion if moisture was to find its way into the body.

This is why you want K10D - ClubSNAP Photography Forums
01-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
ABC,

Sorry to be off topic, but did you take that picture with your k10d? What was your lighting? My daughter would like me to take a pic like that for her.
You can see the Exif data by saving the image and checking it in most editing software.

Rusty

01-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
The following thread (on another forum) is a great example of what can happen when information is misconstrued. Essentially a K10D took a spill into some mud and was then washed off and still worked, however there is no later follow up to indicate how it fared after the initial dunking. I'd speculate that the mud got into a lot of places that it shouldn't have seals or not. This mud and grit would eventually pass the seals on moving controls (due to its abrasive nature) which would lead to failures through dust deposition and/or corrosion if moisture was to find its way into the body.

This is why you want K10D - ClubSNAP Photography Forums
While I can't speak of the durability or long term reliability of the camera you mention, I can speak from personal experience of the long term durability of a non-weatherproof DSLR.

I have both a K10D and *istD.

My *istD got totally soaked when my kayak was swamped. water got in and shorted out the power switch, leaving the camera on full time, and triggering the shutter continually.

I had to take the batteries out to turn it off.

So much water got in, the top display clouded over.

When I got back to base camp, I turned it upside down, since I suspected most water entered the top, and left it in the sun to dry.

After about 4 hours, the display was clear, so I put the batteries in and everything worked fine. The only thing I have done since june 2004 when that happened, is periodic cleaning of the sensor with a blower to get dust off. It has been occasionally put in a bag with silica gell but nothing else.

more than 7000 shots later, it still goes out in hot, cold and humid environments with no ill effects.

If the *istD electronics can sithstand this without long term effects, I seriously doubt what ever minute amounts of water sneal past the seals could do anything at all on a K10D.

I don't recommend doing what I did to any camera, but they are a lot tougher than you think. (as long as you don't expect it to withstand being dropped on the rear display as some people think)
01-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
If the *istD electronics can sithstand this without long term effects, I seriously doubt what ever minute amounts of water sneal past the seals could do anything at all on a K10D.

I don't recommend doing what I did to any camera, but they are a lot tougher than you think. (as long as you don't expect it to withstand being dropped on the rear display as some people think)
If the water was nice clean low PH low ion then I can fully appreciate your experience however dust (from mud or otherwise) when moisture affected may end up being acid or alkali and will likely be conductive to a far greater extent than relatively clean water.

Also if your experience happened in salt water I'm sure that it would have been different. I have an associate that had her *ist D shutter button fail after it was once subjected to very minor salt water exposure, the repair cost was greater than the value of the camera. More interesting reading:

Pentax Forum: Viewer function did not work for a time K10D - photo.net

Pentax Forum: Pentax Waranty Problems - photo.net
01-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
If the water was nice clean low PH low ion then I can fully appreciate your experience however dust (from mud or otherwise) when moisture affected may end up being acid or alkali and will likely be conductive to a far greater extent than relatively clean water.

Also if your experience happened in salt water I'm sure that it would have been different. I have an associate that had her *ist D shutter button fail after it was once subjected to very minor salt water exposure, the repair cost was greater than the value of the camera. More interesting reading:

Pentax Forum: Viewer function did not work for a time K10D - photo.net

Pentax Forum: Pentax Waranty Problems - photo.net
We're talking about the saugeen river in ontario, down stream from a town called walkerton, where there was an E-coli outbreak. Clean, I don't think so.

01-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I remember this photo from an early review of the Samsung GX10:

01-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

My T90 went underwater once when the bow of the boat dipped under the water (new boat driver ).
I removed that batteries and placed it in the sun for a couple of days. That was 15 years ago and it still works fine. Kids in the neighborhood have brought me their cell phones after they've been dunked (swimming or wash cycle), and 9 times out of 10, they are revivable if they haven't been turned on repeatedly while wet. I've run more thumb drives through the wash than I care to admit, and they all still function. Water is not nearly the bugaboo to electronics that everyone seems to think. Pure water doesn't even conduct electricity.

Now, if you're talking salt water, all bets are off!
01-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Pure water doesn't even conduct electricity.
Indeed, I used to maintain a 200kW (input power) TV transmitter that was direct water cooled (we had a high grade water de-ionizer on site) ;-)
01-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I remember this photo from an early review of the Samsung GX10:

(Blur caused by shaking of XTi which took the shot, fearing he will be put to the test next)
01-19-2008, 11:37 PM   #27
PDL
Pentaxian

EXIF says a Nikon D80 - which would even be worse than a XTi. I remember seeing this image long before the XTi came out.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL