Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Is the Pentax K10D weather resistant ?

Just how weather resistant is the Pentax K10D.

Now with the new weather resistant lenses.. And a few people here who have them. Did you test out pentax claim..

How do shots look when taken in the rain... How about heavy snow... Foggy weather.. Sandy conditions etc...

ABC

01-17-2008, 09:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ABCWinter Quote

Now with the new weather resistant lenses.. And a few people here who have them. Did you test out pentax claim..

How do shots look when taken in the rain... How about heavy snow... Foggy weather.. Sandy conditions etc...

ABC
No problems will be encountered when the weather is good enough for the photographer. In the short time I have had mine, it has been rained on, snowed on, and splashed. I've had to clean the lens front element a time or two, but the only time the camera falters is in the cold when the batteries give out sooner than I wish.

Hey, Mr. Pentax, look in your SF-1 catalogue and make me a remote battery device like that one so I can keep the batteries in my pocket and the camera out in the weather.
01-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, I've had the displeasure of shooting in the rain. The camera outperformed my jacket in Wales.
01-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

ABC,

Sorry to be off topic, but did you take that picture with your k10d? What was your lighting? My daughter would like me to take a pic like that for her.

01-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Question has been asked and discussed here before. What I know is that it's not advertised as waterproof, simply as weather resistant, and as far as I have been able to determine, Pentax is pretty vague about what "weather resistant" means and I am certain that they do not guarantee that the camera can be used safely in any particular type of bad weather. I've heard some pretty extravagant claims -- that the camera will stand up to a torrential downpour.

My conclusion is that being weather resistant is better than not being weather resistant, but beyond that, I don't take risks. I have shot in the cold and snow. I've had the camera with me while I hiked in snow and rain -- but most of the time the camera was inside my bag, covered with a plastic covering. I don't fret if the camera gets a few drops of moisture on it. But I wipe the camera off quickly.

Will
01-18-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Is the Pentax K10D weather resistant ?

I know there is a difference, between weather resistant, and waterproof.

Waterproof means it gan go underwater and still work. The deeper you go the more pressure you get. Obviously not waterproof. Unless they state so and have proof that the camera and lense can withstand the pressure.

Weather Proof means you can go out in the rain, snow, fog, hail and the camera will still work. Obviously the camera will not survive insane weather conditions liks tornado, Huracanes, Drenching downpours etc...

QuoteQuote:
Sorry to be off topic, but did you take that picture with your k10d? What was your lighting? My daughter would like me to take a pic like that for her
You're daughter either collects toy's or sells em eh. I am a hard core fan of the MLP of the past. But I almost got all the little fellows, just looking for baby racer. Ok Back to how pics was taken. Duh I forget what lense I used for my photograph. But I did use my Flash 540 Pentax to take the shot. Used my t shirt as a back ground... And Ta Da

I am a newbee Will take time to learn all the functions of my camers.

Anyone have Digital SLR photography for dummies book...

ABC

ABC
01-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
oRs

I have walked for hours under heavy rain, under snow, and I never put my K10 into the bag. I was «wearing» a DA* 50-135. I saw «pros» ( I was in Hamburg on the day of the big storm last year) hide their cameras under their jacket, or in the bag, and I kept going.

I believe I will have to go inside before my camera.

01-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I know there is a difference, between weather resistant, and waterproof.

Waterproof means it gan go underwater and still work. The deeper you go the more pressure you get. Obviously not waterproof. Unless they state so and have proof that the camera and lense can withstand the pressure.

Weather Proof means you can go out in the rain, snow, fog, hail and the camera will still work. Obviously the camera will not survive insane weather conditions liks tornado, Huracanes, Drenching downpours etc...

You're daughter either collects toy's or sells em eh. I am a hard core fan of the MLP of the past. But I almost got all the little fellows, just looking for baby racer. Ok Back to how pics was taken. Duh I forget what lense I used for my photograph. But I did use my Flash 540 Pentax to take the shot. Used my t shirt as a back ground... And Ta Da

I am a newbee Will take time to learn all the functions of my camers.

Anyone have Digital SLR photography for dummies book...

ABC

ABC
You may be a "newbee" but you did a nice job on that shot. There is something about the lighting and color that I really like. I didn't think it was a flash shot. Did you bounce the flash?
01-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ABC
Based upon the improved sealing on the K10D compared to my *istD or PZ-1, I think the question should be,

Are you more weather resistant than the K10D?
01-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Exactly, camera sat on a tripod with a non-weather-sealed lens (the 16-45) for hours at a time in the rain. Either it was raining non-conductive, non-corrosive water in Wales for that week back at the end of July or, the K10D is very well sealed against the elements.
01-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Exactly, camera sat on a tripod with a non-weather-sealed lens (the 16-45) for hours at a time in the rain. Either it was raining non-conductive, non-corrosive water in Wales for that week back at the end of July or, the K10D is very well sealed against the elements.
Tom

I think in Wales you need a Nikonos.

What is your forecast for today (or every day) if it is not raining it will be?
01-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
the only time the camera falters is in the cold when the batteries give out sooner than I wish.
I was thinking about this problem Albert, and I'm wondering if using an elastic or something to hold a hand warmer against the battery compartment would be an easy / cheap solution.

I haven't been in cold enough weather yet this year to test it.
01-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Hi ABCWinter & Lowell,

I guess it all depends on what actually constitutes the definition 'weather resistant' ? I assume that if for example, a watch is allowed to be described by a manufacturer as 'waterproof', it would have to comply with stringent ISO submersible testing requirements, before it could be legally marketed as such. I don't know about you, but I'm afraid I'm not quite ready to sacrifice my K10D in the interests of science by subjecting it to a thorough 'dunking'. On the other hand, I don't think I'd be too concerned if a few raindrops were to occasionally fall on it's bodywork ! I'm not normally in the habit of taking photographs in rainy conditions like many sports or press photographers often have to do and as I don't currently possess any of Pentax's DA-series lenses, I will continue to keep my photographic equipment as dry as possible under normal circumstances !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 01-18-2008 at 02:19 PM.
01-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Question has been asked and discussed here before. What I know is that it's not advertised as waterproof, simply as weather resistant, and as far as I have been able to determine, Pentax is pretty vague about what "weather resistant" means and I am certain that they do not guarantee that the camera can be used safely in any particular type of bad weather. I've heard some pretty extravagant claims -- that the camera will stand up to a torrential downpour.

My conclusion is that being weather resistant is better than not being weather resistant, but beyond that, I don't take risks. I have shot in the cold and snow. I've had the camera with me while I hiked in snow and rain -- but most of the time the camera was inside my bag, covered with a plastic covering. I don't fret if the camera gets a few drops of moisture on it. But I wipe the camera off quickly.
I hold a very similar perspective, it bothers me both that they fail to produce anything but vague indications of how "weather resistant" it may be and they also do not indicate to what degree of water ingress will be tolerated when it comes to allowing warranty repair due to water damage. It's been seen several times that water and dust often end up between the rear LCD and it's protective cover and I've heard of at least one K10D which failed in rain being refused warranty repair, it's just too vague a way to operate and it certainly doesn't fill me with confidence.

So I treat my K10D like I do all my other cameras, I've never been scared to venture into the rain to shoot but using common sense cameras with obviously greater vulnerability I treat more carefully. Cameras that have obviously greater protection or resistance to water ingress or damage aren't treated so carefully and in 20+ years of shooting I've not had a problem.

But I am in no willing to leave any of my cameras out in torrential rain (excepting my W20) and in any case I really can't see the point, photo opportunities tend to vaporize as the rain gets too heavy. I've successfully shot in rainy conditions using my MX, LX, P645, P67, MZ-S, Leica M, Oly E10, *ist D and K10D in the past.
01-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I can honestly see only one weak spot in the K10D weather sealing - the door on the left where the power cord goes in. It's perfectly sealed but there is no spring tension on the door. I have no reason to think it would leak but, if you knew what I did for a living, you'd understand my thoughts on this.

Also, there is a way that Pentax could have added some level of weather sealing to the camera that would have benefited ALL lenses to some extent, as well as the camera. The lens mount should have been modified slightly to include a spring-loaded teflon seal. It would not have changed the fact that the lens itself was not weather-sealed but it would have prevented water intrusion right at the electronics contacts as well as the closest entry into the camera. And of course doing so would have not affected the compatability of any of the lenses. But, I get paid to think like that about seals, Pentax gets paid to make cameras.