Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K20 external flash options

I looking at getting an external flash for my K20. It will generally be used outdoors for front fill wildlife shots most likely with a beamer flash extender and occasionally indoors for some bounce fill. After reading just about every review on flashes I still haven't haven't really narrowed it down. Need something that packs some punch for the outdoor work, can be dialed back for indoors, Isn't too awkward in shape, size, weight, most of the lens I'll be using it with are M's and A's.
Help me narrow my choices!

05-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can choose between Pentax and third-party flashes. While the Pentax flashes aren't bad, you need to pay over $400 to get one that swivels (the AF540), so that's why I recommend going with this Metz unit if you want a balance of versatility and size/price:

Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1 TTL Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax MZ

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I bought a Metz AF-50, and love it. Although it is somewhat ackward navigating through the options. I use it in manual, mostly for closeup/macro. It has a swivel head, and will give 7 degree of downward angle.
05-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a few sigma flashes to do the job. the latest model has plenty of punch. The basic model only has 2 manual setting - full blast and I think 1/16 which doesn't provide much variety. The super has all the functions and plenty of punch. model ef - 610 dg super. Only other flash i have to compare is the pentax which i never use for wildlife. I have a reputation for breaking flash guns so I have four plus a sigma sing flash. Not the flashes problem, even manged to seriously damage my K7 hotshoe.

05-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The Metz units are nice, good price/power/size. If you are using M lenses (P-TTL won't work) it is worth considering units with an auto Thyristor mode, the Metz 58 has this, not the Metz 50. I have a Metz48 which is an earlier version of the 50 and it works very well on my K20 as a fill, as indoor bounce, can do HSS etc. For use with non A lenses I have some old film era flashes including a Vivitar 283, they work well too and can be triggered remotely by cheap optical sensors (no pre-flash to fool dumb sensors)
05-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
If you are using M lenses (P-TTL won't work) it is worth considering units with an auto Thyristor mode, the Metz 58 has this, not the Metz 50.
I was thinking along the same line.