Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: houston texas
Photos: Albums
Posts: 70
what kind of a 1.5 teleconventer

i have k100d super and a tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di lens. I am looking at kenko 1.5and tamron 1.4 teleconventers. does anyone have pictures or experence with thse teleconventer?

01-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member
WMBP's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,496
QuoteOriginally posted by jon pafford Quote
i have k100d super and a tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di lens. I am looking at kenko 1.5and tamron 1.4 teleconventers. does anyone have pictures or experence with thse teleconventer?
With a Tamron lens, I'd suggest using a Tamron 1.4x teleconverter.

I do know that if you have Sigma lenses, Sigma states quite clearly that you've got to use Sigma's teleconverters.

As for examples of photos, here's a link to a couple that I took the other day: K10D + Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 with Tamron 1.4x teleconverter, at full zoom (300mm on the lens = 420 effective).

Will
01-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member
palmor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 798
I'm pretty sure that the Tamron and Kenko converts are actually the same (I don't remember who makes it for the other).

As far as the Sigma TC's I'm pretty sure its the other way around.. that you have to be VERY careful when using Sigma TC's on non sigma lenses because the front element sticks out and could actually touch the rear element of your lens damaging both. Even some sigma lenses are not compatible with Sigma TC's (they have a list on their website).

Oh, I have the Kenko TC and although I haven't used it much it seems OK. I use it with a Tokina 400mm AT-X f/5.6.. here is an example:


Pentax K10D ,Tokina 400mm f/5.6 AT-X
1/500s f/6.7 at 600.0mm iso400 (with Kenko 1.5x TC)


and some more..
IMGP9320.jpg photo - palmor photos at pbase.com
IMGP9321.jpg photo - palmor photos at pbase.com
IMGP9326.jpg photo - palmor photos at pbase.com
IMGP9327.jpg photo - palmor photos at pbase.com
IMGP9328.jpg photo - palmor photos at pbase.com
01-18-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
QuoteOriginally posted by jon pafford Quote
i have k100d super and a tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di lens. I am looking at kenko 1.5and tamron 1.4 teleconventers. does anyone have pictures or experence with thse teleconventer?
"Tamron" 1.4/1.5X are just Kenko OEM products and just there is no big difference in quality and use.

Regarding the optical quality, I think they are *okay* but still falls behind the real best Pentax optics.

For more detailed info, here are my subjective review and ratings made on a few of the Kenko and Tamron teleconvertors (and a dozen of original Pentax lenses as well):-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: RiceHigh's Subjective Ratings on Pentax Lenses on Pentax DSLRs

01-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Nice photo! But if the right hand of the eagle haven't been cropped, it would be perfect!


QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
I'm pretty sure that the Tamron and Kenko converts are actually the same (I don't remember who makes it for the other).

As far as the Sigma TC's I'm pretty sure its the other way around.. that you have to be VERY careful when using Sigma TC's on non sigma lenses because the front element sticks out and could actually touch the rear element of your lens damaging both. Even some sigma lenses are not compatible with Sigma TC's (they have a list on their website).

Oh, I have the Kenko TC and although I haven't used it much it seems OK. I use it with a Tokina 400mm AT-X f/5.6.. here is an example:


Pentax K10D ,Tokina 400mm f/5.6 AT-X
1/500s f/6.7 at 600.0mm iso400 (with Kenko 1.5x TC)


and some more..
IMGP9320.jpg photo - palmor photos at pbase.com
IMGP9321.jpg photo - palmor photos at pbase.com
IMGP9326.jpg photo - palmor photos at pbase.com
IMGP9327.jpg photo - palmor photos at pbase.com
IMGP9328.jpg photo - palmor photos at pbase.com
01-18-2008, 07:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member
palmor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 798
Thanks for the comment! yeah I agree but I'll take it . I was actually taking a photo of something completely different I turned around and there was this eagle flying right towards me. I actually wish I didn't have the TC on the camera at that point because I would have gotten the entire bird in plus I'm sure I could have gotten off a few more shots (a 1.4x TC on a 5.6 lens makes AF a little bit slow).


Thanks again
John

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Nice photo! But if the right hand of the eagle haven't been cropped, it would be perfect!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, photography, tamron, teleconventer
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of lenses should I get? ginglesair Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 29 12-11-2009 03:22 PM
Macro Its kind of like a pineapple flockofbirds Post Your Photos! 2 09-26-2009 07:38 AM
Something kind of different mel Post Your Photos! 19 05-30-2008 07:14 PM
What kind of lenses do I have? deludel Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 03-21-2008 08:56 AM
Two of a kind... pog Post Your Photos! 2 12-09-2006 09:30 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top