Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #1

K100D or Oly E510 or Canon Xti...please help guys...

Hi!
After thinking I was getting the K100D ...the morons at ShopNBC canceled my order after charging me for the first payment (flex pay). They couldnt verify my address even though their system had my old and NEW address and instead of calling me they canceled my order today after I placed it on the 14th !
The reasons I order from QVC, HSN and Shopnbc is due to their multi payment options...thus my current choices are
Oly E510
Canon XTi
Pentax K100D
I want the best Image quality and low light performance....it sucks that I got a 4GB SD card already that I ordered for my Pentax but I can sell it.
Please suggestions as I will order tonight or tomorrow morning...
thanks!

PS If this is the wrong section please accept my apologies.

Last edited by shaolin95; 01-17-2008 at 07:54 PM.
01-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've taken more wonderful pictures with my K100 than I can possible count.
Every one on my web site was taken on it, if you'd like to see for yourself

One of the many good things about Pentax is you can use just about any lens ever made for a Pentax on the new cameras. So this can make your future expenses muuch lower buying used lenses.

You do need adapters for some lenses though, if you ever have a doubt ask on here and someone will tell you.
01-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Keep in mind you're asking a Pentax board, so there are obviously reasons we all chose Pentax. That said, I really did not like the Canon when I tried it. It just felt flimsy to me, which the Pentax certainly does not. I haven't tried the Oly, but I've always had a soft spot for Olympus (it was my first camera, so, you know...).
01-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
I know I would expect more Pentax recommendations here and thats fine. :-) I too kind of like it a lot after reading so much about it...its just that this is a big investment (for me) and want to make sure I pick the best performer. I also saw a $130 70-300mm Canon lens that seems nice for my needs of getting a long range lens (as long as it looks good and not bad IQ performer).

01-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

shaolin95,
If you buy a Canon make sure that the lens fits before you buy the lens.
From what I understand they changed their lens mount at least once.
If your camera store doesn't let you try the cameras before you buy them please let us know, and I'm sure that a member here will do a fair side by side comparison for you.

I would, but I'll be too busy for the next week.
01-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
Im still leaning towards the K100D but just in case ShopNBC decides to screw me again I want another option. :-)
01-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm just assuming that you live in the USA here.

I want to say first that I HATE Walmart, but they might be the best place for you to get your new camera from.

They have the K100D (not the Super, but they're pretty much the same camera less the sensor cleaner and electronics for the new motor drive lens) for $598.84, and include a flash here's the link.

I would imagine that they'll let you buy it on a Walmart card, and might even give you a few months to pay for it as well.

01-17-2008, 09:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
I unfortunately must get it from QVC, HSN or ShopNBC as they dont require credit....
01-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The XTi feels like a toy in your hands compared to the Pentax.
01-17-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Try before you buy!

Never buy DSLR without trying it out. Never ever. No description or review can tell if camera will be OK for you.

I can see one weakness of K100D compared to other two cameras you have mentioned: autofocus system.

Many Pentax fans won't agree, however I think Pentax AF system lags behind competition. It's precise, it's fast on static objects, but focussing on moving objects (for example constantly moving toddler) is a challenge, especially if lighting is not so good.

In other deparments K100D is superior camera than other two.
01-17-2008, 11:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I respectfully disagree Edvinas. I live in a city where we do not have a camera shop that has all DSLR's available. About the best you would see is a Staples with an XTi. I therefore made my decision based on weeks of reading and research, and decided what was important to me. I obviously chose the Pentax, and I am thrilled with the choice. Especially the more I compare my camera with the C & N's my friends have.
01-18-2008, 12:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While Edvinas' advice is sound, it's not always practical, as you have pointed out Poke. I first started looking for a DSLR just before the K10D was announced and had chosen an XTi. Then I held a D80 right after holding the XTi. I now had to rethink what I was going to do. Then I started hearing about the K10D and it sounded great! But after what I just went through with the XTi, I had to wait to hold one. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone around here that stocked them. So I did have to take a chance and purchase it without holding it. Holding the competition helped, and based on the measurements of each one, I didn't feel totally uncomfortable in doing so.
01-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot Pentax, Olympus, and Canon EOS (film setup). Did not buy Canon dslr. The rebels are flimsily made with poor quality kit lenses. The first Rebels had major shutter problems at very low shot counts 10-20 thousand. You have to go way up the line to get to their good stuff. Theres never a deal in canon, Nikon land. So my Sigma 28-70 constant ap 2.8 and Canon 100-300 ultrasonic go unused.
Have the Olympus E300 & E330. Nice cameras. Don't like as much as the Pentax. Bought them because the 350 2.8 OM lens fits them. They are like expensive lens caps compared to that. Would never recommend an Olympus for low light shooting at best quality. Not their speciality at all. Don't even go to ISO 3200.
If I would have bought only Pentax years ago it would have saved me lots of money! The lenses would still work (even the screw adapter is only $30 if needed). Even image stabilization works with them. Olympus has shown their feelings toward the Om owners. NO image stabilization. Canon wants you to buy lenses tht cost as much as their camera to get IS. Also note that most of the good Canon lenses aren't designed for APS C. This really matters in the wide angles. There are many choices. The APS C cams will always live in the shadow of the FF cameras.
Pentax cameras all have virtually the same menu. You can pick up another one and use it almost instantly. The Canons and Olympus change with every camera model. What a pain. Buy the k100D. It is a nice camera. Put lithium Eveready AA or Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables in it and have fun. Very easy to use.
thanks
barondla
01-18-2008, 06:48 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't speak about canon, but can offer one or two pointers about olympus. Please don't get me wrong here, I have never used one, BUT that does not invalidate my comments.

The olympus cameras are 4/3 system, which is OK if you a) like the format, and b) shoot mostly telephoto, because the crop factor is 50% not 66% like it is for pentax and low cost cannon DSLRs. BUT, the crop factor of 4/3 cameras is a problem at wide angle. a 7-14mm zoom (equal to my sigma 10-20mm) costs about $1500. with that, I can buy a K10D, the sigma 10-20, and perhaps a good flash.

As a result, economically, if you want to go wide angle, smaller is not better. go for a body with ASP-C sensor, not 4/3. also the larger ASP-C sensor, for any given pixle count, should be better at every ISO with respect to noise, just because each pixle is bigger. bigger pixles = better noise performance, that is part of th einterest in Full Frame cameras.

Also, the cameras are small, some people like that, but I find that when you take a small body, and then hang 1-2kilos of 70-200f2.8 plus a TC, it is hard to hold. I have an *istD and K10D, and actually prefer the larger K10D just for that reason.
01-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #15

A member of my CL club has been using a predecessor of E-510, the E-500. This past season, we had an opportunity to shoot similar events. His results were comparable to my K100 and even better(he's a MUCH better photographer). We've swapped cameras just to get a feel for the differences. Pentax is heavier, e-500 is quicker to focus. In the end we both came to the conclusion that BOTH cameras are comparable. Unless you plan to make a living by selling great photos, either camera will be just fine. As for XTi, build quality is indeed questionable but is adequate. I owned an XTi for a few weeks before exchanging it for a K100D.

Pick E-510 or K100D and you will behappy with either choice. XTi is a second tier contender.