Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
If I were to switch.... it will be to Fuji. Most probably the X-Pro, or its replacement. Why? Primarily because I like its default jpeg output and "colors".
Terrible reason frankly when you can tune the JPG output of any camera very finely these days.

06-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Well, jumping to Holga didn't work out. Those 6x6 negatives are just too big, almost as bad as my 6x9s. So now I think I'll go to a German-made Kodak Instamatic 500, with the Schneider Xenar 38/2.8. Hay, Galen Rowell shot mountains with that and was published big-time! Now I just need to find more 126 film carts. All this SLR stuff is really overrated.
06-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought I'd stop in to check up on RioRico, you never know what that dude is into. But i thought i'd just qualify this. I believe I said I'd look at a Nikon, but upon careful consideration there'd be some catches. One, I'd have to have a contract of over 24k. I'm not spending 8k on camera gear to cover a 10k project. A more relevant question would be, how much would a job have to be worth, to get you to consider jumping ship? So 24 K, and they'd have to tell me I have to shoot Nikon. I mean, everything and every one has a price... me, I want the money plus the gear when the project is done. That's how all my buddies in the film industry get their new Mac Pros every couple years. Pay me, and I don't care what you want me to shoot. But it's going to cost you.
06-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #214
Veteran Member

Norm, if certain tools are *necessary* for a job, then they're worth it. Maybe. Depends on how long they take to amortize. If it's just one $10k job, maybe spending $2k on rental makes more sense. If it's ten $10k jobs, then an $8k investment rocks. As you implied, show me the money, and I'll know what to spend.

What make certain tools *necessary*? 1) No other tools will do; or 2) the client requires certain tools. In the first case, older tools may be entirely sufficient for other work; the new shiny costly stuff can maybe be reserved for special jobs. In the second case, it's the Golden Rule: Them with the gold makes the rules.

So, why sell-off a Pentax system and buy something else? Maybe 1) or 2) above. Those are both job-related, and excellent reasons. Or maybe even Pentax gear is too large and a jump to Instamatic is called for. IMHO most other reasons have to do with one's psyche. (None dare call it boredom.) Voices in my head...

06-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #215
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I want
I know.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But claiming that size and weight are among them is just plain wrong.
It's correct. Size and weight for an equivalent lens (and reasonably far into the FF-has-advantage-lenses) are improved for most FF lenses. I've listed the lenses above (I'm not going to re-list them, or even look them up AGAIN for you), and I've also listed a series of illuminating questions that should indicate why any 'quick list' (even the list I made for you, although technically filling your objective...) is a fool's errand.

P.S. - for when you're budgeting my time - I type about as fast as I can speak, so these posts really don't take very much time at all.
06-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #216
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Theorize all you want about what size/weight advantages could possibly exist in the future, or in some alternate reality, or do exist in the very specific case of certain wide-normal lenses. But until you demonstrate a *specific* body and a *specific* lens that mounts to that body that gives me the FF equivalent of my K200D with DA70/2.4 mounted that weighs less than 760g combined, or the FF equivalent of my K200D with M120/2.8 mounted that weighs less than 900g combined, you will continue to be wrong *in practice*. You've given vague references to others lenses - zooms and so forth that partially overlap in range with my kit - but nothing that actually compares or comes in at lesser weight than the above.

The only reason attempting to name such a combination is a "fool's errand" is that it cannot be done currently, nor is anyone likely to come out with a body or lens that makes this possible any time soon.