Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I'll jump ship when I go blind. Hopefully, I won't have an anvil tied to my ankles. (I try to avoid making enemies.)

Last edited by RioRico; 05-16-2012 at 05:02 PM.
05-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #32
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I don't "jump ship" or switch brands. I supplement my tools with other appropriate tools. My K20D is my only dSLR. Most of my zillions of lenses could be used on Canon or Sony dSLRs; a fair number can fit Nikon; and everything could mount on a NEX or m4/3 or NX or whatever -- so I'm not *tied* to Pentax.

I really am brand-agnostic. I select tools by their functions (and price), not their badges. My working cameras have been of over a dozen different brands. If it fits my needs and I can afford it, great! Brand identification is a result of brainwashing. Set yourself free!
+1. Camera bodies are just accessories - it's the lenses you have (or that you want to use) that should decide what camera body you should get.

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
If a Pentaxian want to jump ship (well, mainly for full-frame offer), which other company have the closest 'feel' to Pentax?
Why would you "make a jump" for something that feels almost the same?
05-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't see going for Canon or Nikon - at least not their DSLR's. Neither offers sensor stabilization, neither offers anything like the Limiteds, etc. So they are equally uninteresting to me. I'd probably be checking out Sony but also hoping that by the time I was forced to switch, EVF technology would have advanced far enough for me to consider a mirrorless system, perhaps micro 4/3.
05-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #34
Pentaxian

*if* Pentax fades further in the USA market I might shift to Nikon. I find Nikon's bodies preferable to Canon and several friends are happy with Nikon. Sony and Olympus have uncertain long term prospects; I wouldn't want to build a new system that's at higher risk of going away.

That's my current thinking. I would have to review things if/when I switched, though, to see what each company offers. The best outcome for me is that Pentax USA reverses their slide. If I was in Japan or much of Europe I don't think I'd even be wondering about Pentax' future.

05-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Nikon for me. But I do like the Canon 70-200 f/4, 100-400 and 135/2.
05-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #36
Veteran Member

OP, don't know. But if I jumped it would be Nikon.
05-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Already planning a switch unfortunately.

I love my Pentax digital kit but it is not as robust as I need it to be for the type of shooting I do. Nikon has the only kit that I feel a tank can run over and it'll still shoot. The K-5 is the perfect camera body in my mind; unfortunately it's not full framed and the DA* lenses just don't feel as quality as Nikon's.

05-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Probably Nikon. But Pentax is my 1st choice. As long as I can get Pentax stuff, I'm sticking with them. For me, Pentax is better than the rest.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
05-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon, because my cousin has one and if I get a higher model, that will tic him off. And the guys at work are die-hard Canonians and that would really start some shiite.
05-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I'm breaking ranks: Phase One.

... Or Nikon if that lottery ticket doesn't pan out.
05-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #41
Inactive Account

Hmm. I'd agree that Nikon has the closest feel to Pentax, in that their cameras tend to have good handling and their higher-end bodies have lens backwards compatibility like we do (both of these points so unlike Canon).

That said, every other company has something attractive to me. Olympus makes some really nice glass, and the compactness of the Micro 4/3 bodies is nice. Also, somehow most Olympus cameras produce really nice color. I used to be an Olympus user (Oly E-520), only switched to Pentax because I decided I wanted them Pentax primes. And the K-5 attracted me too. (Note: the Oly E-520 has dismal dynamic range and high ISOs, which sort of explains why I liked the K-5 so much)

Canon... well I really dislike the handling of Canon cameras, with the possible exception of the X0D series. But I think I like the color of Canon JPEGs (although I shoot mostly raw), and I sometimes like the 'look' produced by Canon glass better than them Nikkors (totally a subjective preference, nothing much to do with IQ).

The new Fujis are very, very tempting to me, especially the X-Pro 1. Very tempting with those primes. However, if I get them (will take a long time to pony up that amount of cash, heh), I wouldn't be jumping ship, rather I'd use the Fujis as a complementary system to my Pentaxes.

Leica, I actually don't like the M9, but the S2 attracts me. Then again our 645D attracts me even more. And in any case I'll have to wait till my next life, if I get reborn as a rich man, before I can even dream about getting one of those.
05-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
I'm breaking ranks: Phase One.

... Or Nikon if that lottery ticket doesn't pan out.
Wouldn't we all? :-P
05-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #43
Inactive Account

Nikon here too... but not switching
05-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #44
Veteran Member

DSLR: Nikon
MILC: Olympus
05-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I wouldn't jump ship but if I had too, it would be Canon as most of the people I know have Canons and I can borrow, buy and trade Canon stuff with them.